INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you ensure JRiver makes no changes to your files?  (Read 2772 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
How do you ensure JRiver makes no changes to your files?
« on: September 16, 2015, 12:16:41 am »

I have painstakingly edited my massive flac collection to perfection using music brainz picard. It s essential when I load them into JRiver there are no changes. How do I do this?

Thanks

flight16

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: How do you ensure J River makes absolutely no changes to your files?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:33:40 am »

There's a setting for that https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100055.msg693178#msg693178

Personally, if it's a NAS mount I would export it as read-only.  I would also make a backup and then use md5deep to create a file of hashes for all files that I can use to verify no changes were made.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How do you ensure J River makes no changes to your files?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 04:18:24 am »

There's a setting for that https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100055.msg693178#msg693178

Flight is right, however if you are really paranoid about it (just in case this for some bizarre reasons flips back to a default when changing versions) go Options=>Library&Folders.  In the filterable field list you can uncheck the 10-15 fields that are really important that Picard is handling and uncheck "Save in filetags if possible" (being aware of the mapping names like LABEL=PUBLISHER etc.)

One thing to note if I may, JRiver is not like iTunes ... the changes it could make to files would be statistical (like number of plays), or administrative. Basically the option to not write to files and/or unchecking the ability to do so by field is to protect your metadata from your "accidental" changes. It won't change your metadata unless you tell it to, or unless you have set it up to auto look-up metadata through their database. (at least for audio ... not sure about sidecar files, but as they are not embedded ...)

Personally I re-tag a lot via JRiver and when needed I call external programs from within the program (right click => Send to). I always set to "on" the update tag options. However I protect certain fields by unchecking this box -- which may also be an option for you to consider.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: How do you ensure JRiver makes no changes to your files?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:13:27 pm »

It won't flip back, and yes, that setting disables all tag writing in MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 01:02:37 am »

Thanks All. In windows is it therefore also a good idea to make all my files read only too? Presumably that would also prevent this?

Thanks

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 08:20:21 am »

I personally think you're being a bit overly careful.  JRiver isn't invasive software.  It won't willy nilly write strange tags to your files.  With that option set, it shouldn't write anything to your files.

Any changes you make inside of JRiver will just be written to it's internal database, while your files will stay the same.

At *some* point, you might decide that the changes you have made inside of MC are worth having written to the actual files, and you can turn the option back on at that point.  OR you can leave it off forever.

I personally think that setting your directories to read only is overkill and a potential cause for difficulty in the future.  Just MHO.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up