INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 36760 times)

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« on: August 18, 2003, 02:08:10 pm »

Hello All,      

For anyone who is new to MC, please be sure to get the latest version.    

If you want to read an excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod please go to....      

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/    

For additional information, please check the previous help thread at...      

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058463517;start=0#0

For any issues not covered, please post below and someone will respond ASAP.   Please include in your post your version of MC, version of the Portable Drive Plugin and Operating System.  

Thanks,      

Steve (JRiver)

SteveG

Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2003, 02:21:06 pm »

Everyone,

MC 9.1.234 includes a rough ability to transfer filecount and rating information. There is more work to be done on this. One limitation seems to be that iPod does not remember modifications to the ratings that are made on the iPod. I do not have a solution for this yet.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 02:26:01 pm »

Steve:

First, let me say this:

WOOT!!!!!!  :D  :D

When I tried that "Starlist" program that I sent you I was able to Rate a song on the iPod and then connect the iPod, run Starlist to see the Ratings and it indeed reflected the updated rating.

Not sure what the problems are, but I'm sure I was able to see the changes.

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2003, 03:08:41 pm »

Aye, Adam... but did the ratings transfer back to MC9 or just to Starlist?

Steve:  I love you, man.  I can't WAIT to go play!!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2003, 03:37:15 pm »

Oh, no Kurt.  They didn't go to MC9.  Of course not.  Because Steve hadn't built that part yet.

What I simply meant was the changes to ratings on the iPod were getting written to the playcounts file and were accessible from starlist.

Adam

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2003, 04:24:21 pm »

Just installed .234, and now it won't load my iPod info. Everytime I click on the F: under Handhelds, I get an error message with just the letter "h" in it.

Handheld plug-in version 9.0.44

Media Center 9.1.234 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1001 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 168 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\chimes.wav

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX160E     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2003, 04:39:27 pm »

Just installed .234, and now it won't load my iPod info. Everytime I click on the F: under Handhelds, I get an error message with just the letter "h" in it.

I got the exact same error.  Also, when attempting to use the new "sync ipod information" option, the program became non-responsive, with CPU usage pegged to 100%.  I had to kill through Task Manager.

Also, when the sync window popped up, at one point it reported that I'd have "-4.1GB" free after the sync (which would correspond to having roughly 2 of everything on my iPod).  

Here's my info...I had to revert to .233 after doing a restore on my iPod to sync back up.

Media Center Registered 9.1.233 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Intel Pentium 4 1791 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 785 MB, Free - 534 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive F:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     CD-RW  CRX175E     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2003, 04:48:58 pm »

Everyone,

MC 9.1.234 includes a rough ability to transfer filecount and rating information. There is more work to be done on this. One limitation seems to be that iPod does not remember modifications to the ratings that are made on the iPod. I do not have a solution for this yet.

I don't know if you'll be able to work around that one either.  From what I remember of the discussion over at the lounge (http://ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4803), the Play Counts file is wiped clean after you disconnect from the computer.  Unless you know some voodoo to get the file over after we've disconnected, you're SOL.

In any case, I don't think that would be a huge concern not having the info on the iPod itself.  You can still create a smartlist of unrated songs to accomplish that task.

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2003, 04:55:32 pm »

I'm having a similar problem.  I can see my iPod but if I try to upload files to it, it'll sometimes work, it'll sometimes say that upload doesn't support that file type, and other times it'll transfer the file then the little "h" window opens up and the transfer window hangs.  I have to restart MC to get rid of it.  I'm pretty sure it has to do something with whether I've rated a file or not but I haven't pinned down the pattern yet.

All I know is I can't update my iPod at all anymore.
Toast goes in the toaster.

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2003, 05:17:44 pm »

Well, I reverted to .233 to synch back up. I'll probably steer clear of .234 until things get ironed out.

I really hope someone can find a way to get ratings from the iPod to MC...since I do most (99%) of my rating on the go, not in MC.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2003, 08:04:13 pm »

For those of you having problems

You can get the old version of the iPod Plugin w/o having to go back to .233.  Just download the Portable Drive - 9.0.43 from the Plugins page.

Do NOT download the iPod plugin that's listed.  That's for 9.0.180.

Download the one w/the text: Portable Drive - 9.0.43

Adam

Steve:

I've had similar problems.  Tried the Update PC Sync and it just bombed.  I've sent you my itunesdb and Playcounts file.

I'm wondering if the size of our playcount files are what's slowing things down. Mine is from 1 full day of playing.  What are you testing with.

Anyway, I can't seem to sync either anymore.  I was able to do one sync, but the status bar did some weird things.  It looked like it was syncing, but it would show a song, the counter would jump 30-40 songs then it would show another.

In the end, although it looks like the tunes are on the iPod, the playlist data isn't.

Also, the next time I tried to sync, I got the error message w/just an "H" in it (and my iPod drive is I:\ not H:\).

Not sure what that error's about.

On a related note.  I'm not sure if you plan on the methodology you have in place for the final version or if this is just for testing things out.  But, my 2 cents on how this should work....

Syncing the iPod's data w/the MC9 library should be tranparent during a sync.  Meaning, that when you sync tunes, MC9 should automatically update playcounts and ratings in MC9's library.

Now, you might want to make this an optional checkbox that appears on the sync dialog.  Similar to Update Tags and Delete Files.  But, it shouldn't be a 2 step process the way you've got it now.

Adam

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 12:57:58 am »

Like some others here, I also could not sync my iPod after the 234 upgrade.  As per Steve's instructions, I installed the 9.0.43 Portable Drive plug-in and could once again sync.

I noticed that after the update, the cut off song issue seemed to have been "reduced."  At first I thought this was due to the update, but I later discovered that the tags had inadvertantly been updated, which (as I already discoverd) can "fix" this issue.  Unfortunately, this now means that I no longer have any files avaible that I know have this issue.  I'll have to do some listenning in order to find some more cut off songs.

Steve, I tried the .dll file you emailed me, but I couldn't sync the iPod as long as I used it -- I kept getting an error.  I tried it with both the 9.0.43 and the 9.0.44 Portable Drive plug-ins.  I had to revert to 9.0.43 AND go back to the previous .dll to get the sync to work at all.  Let me know if you want me to try it again with a new version of MC.

Larry

SteveG

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 06:49:00 am »

Everyone,

I am not at the office today, so sorry for whatever problems you are having. It will be until tomorrow before I can do anything about fixing them.

Steve

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 07:40:41 am »

For those of you having problems

(snip)

I'm wondering if the size of our playcount files are what's slowing things down. Mine is from 1 full day of playing.  What are you testing with.

The playcount file shouldn't be that big.  IIRC, according to the Play Counts structure posted on the gtkpod site, you're looking at 0x10 (2.0.1 firmware) or 0x0c (1.3) bytes per song, plus 0x60 bytes in the header.  So, for my 1500 song library, the playcounts file should be kinda of small...much smaller than the iTunesDB.

On a related note.  I'm not sure if you plan on the methodology you have in place for the final version or if this is just for testing things out.  But, my 2 cents on how this should work....

Syncing the iPod's data w/the MC9 library should be tranparent during a sync.  Meaning, that when you sync tunes, MC9 should automatically update playcounts and ratings in MC9's library.

Now, you might want to make this an optional checkbox that appears on the sync dialog.  Similar to Update Tags and Delete Files.  But, it shouldn't be a 2 step process the way you've got it now.

Well, you could maybe conceal things a bit, but you basically would need two channels of communication:

1) iPod -> MC in order to add in the new playcounts/ratings/last played to the MC library (you would need to load the iTunesDB and the Play Counts files for this)

Then, MC9 would need to update its smartlists accordingly (which should happen automatically, although it might require a second or two to parse and complete the updates)

2) MC -> iPod to sync over updated smartlists.  Same as it does now.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2003, 08:38:14 am »

bdjohns1:

Yeah, I started thinking about that last night.  The size isn't the issue, I just thought parsing it might be.

Regarding my example of the methodology.  I totally understand that it needs to be a two step process, but from a UI perspective, it should be a one step process.

I'd be totally happy if the Sync Status Dialog told you what was going in.  For example:

"Importing Playcounts & Ratings from iPod" (w/a progress bar)

"Updating MC9 Library and Smartlists" (w/a progress bar)

"Syncing iPod" (with the songs being sync'd as it is today"

But to initiate this process it should be one action by the user--i.e. Synchronize.

Adam

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2003, 01:57:22 pm »

Does the 235 build fix the iPod syncing failures that 234 had?

Thanks,

Larry

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2003, 02:18:00 pm »

My suspicion is no, since Steve said he wasn't in the office today.

Try downloading it, if it doesn't work get the 9.0.43 plugin from the link I posted.

Adam

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 01:04:34 am »

I just tried 235 and it synched the iPod without having to go back to the 9.0.43 plug-in -- I guess that whatever was wrong, it's been taken care of.

Larry

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 05:54:56 am »

I'm trying out MC9 because I thought that it was suppose to support the bookmarks for Audible files. I've tried several different ways and each time all bookmarks get wiped out.
I'm using MC9 version 9.0.180 with IPOD plugin 9.0.38.
My IPOD is a 20 gig 2nd gen version with the new 1.3 update.

My first mistake was...I loaded all of my music files to the IPOD with MC9 and then loaded my Audible files using AM. That really screwed things up. I had to use the 'Rebuild IPOD DB' function in MC9 for all of my files to show on the IPOD again.
So I figured that MC9 and AM couldn't be used together.

So I then completly restored the IPOD with the IPOD 1.3 restore/update. Then went through the MC9 format process and sync'ed all my MP3's and Audible files using just MC9. All files uploaded just fine but the bookmarks still continue to be lost every time I upload any new files using just MC9.

The only thing that I use AM for is to do the actual download of the Audible file from their website. And when I do that I do NOT have the IPOD connected because I know that it will try to sync.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or am I using the wrong version of MC9 or wrong IPOD plugin?
Or is MC9 just not capable of saving the bookmarks yet?

I'm using the 30 day trial version and don't want to buy until I get this figured out.

Thanks to anyone that can provide some insight into this problem.

8/20 - update.  I upgraded to MC9 v.233 and Audible bookmarks still don't work.  Can anyone tell me if this feature is planned in the near future?  I really like MC9 but I      to buy without this feature since that was the main reason I was trying it in the first place.  I realize MC9 has a whole lot more to offer and is a great media tool but it's just a pain losing my bookmarks every time I upload new files.  Makes me not upload very often.  Which kind of sucks.

SteveG

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 06:51:39 am »

Everyone,

I will try to make some progress on the Playcounts/Ratings stuff this morning.

thtv01,

I would like to get to make the experience of using Audible files better with MC and plan to do so, but must take care of the Playcounts/Ratings issues first.

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 07:37:48 am »

Everyone,

Rock on!  

Your next mission...should you choose to accept it...  :)

...allow MP4/M4A (AAC) files to be tagged in MC9's database (although you don't have to tag the file itself to avoid messy license issues!).  That way I can load in the files at least.

CautionESPN

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 08:29:34 am »

Just wanted to make sure you know that your efforts are very much appreciated.  I use Media Center for listening to my library at work, for streaming through my home stereo via Tivo, and for my iPod.  I can't imagine having to use anything else.  The two issues you mention below are really the last ones that I'm interested in for the iPod (particularly the audible stuff!).  If the Media Server updated the playcounts I would be more interested in that.  (I rarely use media center at home interactively, instead i use the tivo functionality.  

Thanks again!

Chris M

Everyone,

thtv01,

I would like to get to make the experience of using Audible files better with MC and plan to do so, but must take care of the Playcounts/Ratings issues first.

SteveG

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 09:53:25 am »

Everyone interested in Playcounts/Ratings,

I am unable to create a situation where iPod remembers the Rating or does not reset the Playcount after a reconnect to the PC.

In the following test.

1) On a clean iPod, transfer 1 file.

2) Delete the Play Counts file on iPod.

3) Disconnect the iPod and set the Rating to 5 and play the file 2 times.

4) Reconnect iPod to the PC. ( At this point the Play Counts file is visible witih Windows Explorer, obviously created by iPod without my interference because MC has not been run).

5) Disconnect iPod and recheck the rating.

Every time I run this test, the rating is not remembered on iPod, even though it is stored "correctly" in the Play Counts file.

With this as iPod's behavior, I will be able to show the rating and modify the rating, but you will not be able to see it on iPod when disconnected.

Also, everytime you disconnect the iPod, the PlayCount will be reset. I could write code to correct for this, but it is at odds with the way the firmware seems to be designed and arguably the way PlayCounts are designed to be handled on iPod.

Please chime in with any info that supports or refutes this.

Steve

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2003, 10:44:05 am »

Are you saying that you'd be able to update the ratings in the MC DB, so that smartlists could utilize them, but when looking at the iPod (disconnected), we wouldn't be able to see what the rating was?

Interesting...

SteveG

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2003, 11:56:51 am »

Macavity,

How I implement it is being driven by what the iPod is capable (or not capable ) of.

thtv1,

The good news is that I figured out where the bookmark setting needs to go for it to be remembered. The bad news is trying to get to the bottom of how iPod remembers and applies this setting.

Everyone,

I know that I saw iPod remember the bookmark and the rating info one time today after a disconnect and reconnect from the PC. I do not know how to reproduce this with any consistency because I have seen the information not saved many many times. Does anyone know the magical combination of circumstances that allows this information to persist ( not in the PlayCounts file, I know the information is there, but on the iPod itself so that the data is applied and visible)?

Kurt Young

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2003, 12:54:50 pm »

I'm totally swamped at work, so mebby I missed this, but...

...is the PlayCounts file the only place you're looking?  Is there per-song data in the iTunesDB that holds ratings and whatnot?

Example/theory/hypothesis:

Ratings data in MC -> data goes into iTunesDB -> data from iTunesDB displayed on iPod's display screen -> user adjusts ratings on iPod's screen -> adjusted data goes to Playcounts file -> (adjusted data from playcounts file now displayed on iPod's display screen... iTunesDB is NOT updated on the fly) -> upon sync, adjusted data goes to MC

A similar theory could be formed for playcounts/playdates.  iTunesDB is populated with the "initial" info, but after being modified, is stored in the "cache" that is the PlayCounts file -- iTunesDB is never adjusted on the fly.  Upon sync, the "cache" is fed into MC and deleted upon dismount.  Makes sense to me, given what you've said... is it true though?

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2003, 02:08:16 pm »

Everyone,

It now appears that the Playcount/Ratings stuff is not only stored in Play Counts but also some data is stored in iTunesDB but not in a documented or expected way. This will make the learning curve steeper, but I am getting closer.

I will be out of the office tomorrow, so I will be unable to make progress on this but with luck, back on Friday.

Steve

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2003, 07:44:26 pm »

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply on the  Audible bookmark issue.  That is good news as far as I'm concerned.
I have no doubt that you guys will figure it out eventually.  It definitely sounds like it can be done from what I've been reading over in the IPODLounge. Because it sounds like xplay already handles this problem.   But MC9 offers far and above what xplay has to offer.  I just started using it so I have a lot to learn.

You guys support in this forum is top notch.  So thanks!

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Norton anti virus
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2003, 11:28:59 am »

I have recently upgraded my PC and have yet to load Norton anti virus.
I seem to recall reading in the past that Music Center did not run properly with Norton.
Does anyone have any experience running the two applications?
::) ::)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2003, 12:17:42 pm »

Works fine for me with Norton installed.

Adam

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2003, 01:42:45 pm »

Norton here as well. No probs for me!

Kurt Young

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2003, 02:01:36 pm »

Works fine for my two computers... one is running McAfee VirusScan 7 (recently upgraded from 4.51) and the other one is running a widely-used antivirus program called I Hope Nobody Sends Me A Virus.exe.

Both systems are good to go with MC9.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Iplod along

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2003, 02:03:03 pm »

Many thanks for your feedback guys.

fex

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2003, 03:12:44 pm »

Same here.

MrVegas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Love the music, live the Word
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2003, 03:22:59 am »

I can't initialize my iPod in v. 9.1.237

When I right-click on the iPod (which MC assigns the I drive) I can only see menu choices like "Play" , "Add to Playing Now,"  "Send To", etc.  

Can anybody help me?

p.s.  
I did a restore using ipod updater prior to connecting the ipod.
_/_/_/_/_/_/
Audio nerd

SteveG

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2003, 10:16:59 am »

MrVegas,

What is your iPod Volume Label name? Try naming it "IPOD" or go to Tools->Plugin Manager->Handheld->Portable Drive->Configure and change the Volume Label name to whatever your iPod is named.

Steve

MrVegas

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Love the music, live the Word
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2003, 03:46:04 pm »

Doh!!!

I was right-clicking on the wrong iPod!

There are actually two places where the ipod shows up in the tree view of MC9, I was attempting to initialize via the ipod listed under "My Computer"

I did not realize that the iPod also shows up under "CD, DVD and Handhelds."   That's the answer.  Geeez.

Thanks for your help.
_/_/_/_/_/_/
Audio nerd

Kurt Young

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2003, 05:43:33 pm »

Adam, Chris, and crew,

What's the most recent, most iPod-stable build of MC9?  I'm on dialup for another week and want to upgrade, but don't want to do so at the peril of using a version that's iPod-broke, heh.

I'm on .218 now... is .238 stable?  For iPods?
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

cdrmaker

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2003, 10:33:08 pm »

i can no longer access my ipod in MC. every time i go to "CD, DVD, & Handhelds", and click on the IPOD drive, i get a media core error and MC shuts down, Is this a known Bug? How do I fix?

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2003, 03:44:18 am »

D/L'ed the .238 build just to realize that sync again simply is returning a popup with a "H"  :'(

Reverting to portable 9.043 driver didn't resolve

Any suggestions ?

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2003, 04:24:20 pm »

I'm on 226 and havent upgraded for the same reasons Kurt. I think 226 is pretty stable.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2003, 06:16:19 pm »

Here's my endeavors with attempting to use the latest build of the software (.238 ):

I already have all my music on my iPod.  I rip a couple new CDs.

I plug in the iPod and select "Synchronize files".  After pressing OK it seems to work just fine... until when it seems to be done:

I decide that I want to see what's on there now, so I decide to "Unmount" it via the iPod Manager app.  It gives me a "Failed to unmount" message, so I try to MC "Eject" option.   That doesn't work either, although it gives me this again:

I had a similar problem a couple MC builds ago (probably 235 or 236) and when I did get it out of the cradle I had to reset it and found that the only thing on the iPod's system was the stuff I newly transferred, even though from the hard disk space indicator it showed it still was on there, just not showing up on the menus.

The only way I got it back was to reformat (I think it's not called "initialize") the iPod and re-transfer it all.  (And man, that was a pain, it was only going at USB1 speeds, for some odd reason; I thought I had the right drivers working.)

Hope you can get this back into working order soon, Steve!

Thanks,

Dan "da Man"
P.S. - If you have time, try working on making the errors a bit more descriptive.  It would help everyone out.

SteveG

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2003, 07:06:24 am »

Everyone,

I would like to update everyone on the status of the iPod connectivity with MC.  I have just retested MC 9.1.238 on a cleanly initialized iPod on XP and everything seems OK.  In the last few versions I had to modify the MC code to include the transfer of the Playcounts and Rating information. Some stability issues for people may have resulted from this change if you are using the latest MC syching with an older (pre 9.1.232 ?) version of MC.

The rating and playcount stuff is still a work in progress and  will require more time to solve. I hope to get back to it this week, but have a project that requires all of my time right now. In the meantime, either stick with the version you have, or get 9.1.238 and if you are having problems, intialize your iPod from within MC and hopefully you will be set for now and you will have some limited Rating/Play count functionality.

Thanks,

Steve

PS
CDRMaker,

Try formatting iPod from Windows and then Initialize from MC and use 9.1.238.

Kurt Young

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2003, 07:22:42 am »

I went with .238 and had some problems that, while frustrating, I'm not certain were MC's fault.

Synching my whole pack of playlists (~2000 songs, though over 7000 reported in sync dialogue) would tank MC and produce write-behind errors from XP, "ghost" dismounts of my iPod's volume, etc.

After a restore, I was able to fully load my iPod by synching one playlist at a time with the "delete" and "update" options disabled (I also disabled my Antivirus software, though dunno if that was a factor or not).  Once they were all loaded, I could check both options, select all of the playlists and do a "maintenance sync".

I've had this trouble before, ever since I got my new system, and think it may have something to do with my setup, but I can't figure out what it could be... Nice, healthy P4 and an Adaptec 4300 (I think) card.  Figured it'd be worth reporting anyhow.

On another subject, MC9 reports my internal IDE ZIP-100 drive as a handheld.  Is this planned?  I think it's kind of silly, m'self.

I'm anxiously awaiting the playcounts and ratings, Steve... you know me, I've been hoping for 'em for a long time.  I know you'll come through, bro.

:)
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ToddW

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2003, 10:43:49 am »

Kurt,

MC9 does the same with my internal ZIP 100.  I almost sync'd a bunch of songs too it, then I relized my iPod and a lot more than that on it.

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2003, 11:15:47 am »

Everyone,

I would like to update everyone on the status of the iPod connectivity with MC.  I have just retested MC 9.1.238 on a cleanly initialized iPod on XP and everything seems OK.  In the last few versions I had to modify the MC code to include the transfer of the Playcounts and Rating information. Some stability issues for people may have resulted from this change if you are using the latest MC syching with an older (pre 9.1.232 ?) version of MC.

The rating and playcount stuff is still a work in progress and  will require more time to solve. I hope to get back to it this week, but have a project that requires all of my time right now. In the meantime, either stick with the version you have, or get 9.1.238 and if you are having problems, intialize your iPod from within MC and hopefully you will be set for now and you will have some limited Rating/Play count functionality.

Did a fresh Initialize with the .238 build and can now sync without the "H" popup.

Can hardly wait for the playcount stuff - gimme gimme gimme  ;D

Well, just keep up the good work  ::)

ferrad

• nothing more to say...
iPod: Strange popup window
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2003, 01:58:12 pm »

All was going well today, then I decided to upload 1000 tracks to the iPod, now I just get this window when trying to access the iPod in MC:

Two big red X's, an OK button, half a letter in the dialog title, and that's about it.  (don't know how to paste a jpg in this forum)

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it? ?

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2003, 06:08:03 pm »

Kurt  (and Steve),  

Saw your earlier post--239 appears to be working great--just imported a bunch of tunes I downloaded from Emusic, and synched--2 minor, but not critical bugs:

1.  The amount of available space after downloading is incorrectly displayed on MC9;  It's fine on the ipod though.  Maybe MC9 is counting files in more than one playlist twice or something by the looks of it.

2.  I can't eject my ipod from my 'puter if MC9 is open.  I can do it with no problem if I close MC9, and eject the ipod with my system tray hot icon.

nlegs

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2003, 07:35:06 pm »

Been using MC with my iPod for quite awhile now. I'm runnning the latest beta release and 238 plugin.

Just lately noticed that some of my uploaded mp3 song's when played on my iPod would sound different when I turn on the sound check setting. Actually they sounded better. But I'm wondering why it only happens on some of my mp3 file and not all. All of my mp3's are MC analysed.

As some of the posts suggested, I've formatted my iPod and uploaded all my mp3's with apply replay gain enabled. But still the same, some would react to sound check but some would not.

Does anybody notice the same problem ? Or anybody have the suggestion to have this problem corrected ?

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you very much.
-Neil

Kurt Young

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2003, 07:37:37 pm »

Steve,

Is it possible that the inconsistancy in the sync dialogue is causing problems?  I'm talking about how if a song is on two playlists, it will be "recounted" -- counted twice towards the "Synching file x of y" total.

The only reason I say this is that, for quite some time now, when I do a "full sync" of all my smartlists and playlists, the total number is around 5300 when I'm in reality only putting about 2000 songs on my iPod.  Doing a full sync onto an empty iPod will normally tank MC, cause write-behind errors, and general havoc.  Doing a full sync on an already populated iPod goes off without a hitch.

To recover from this, I will usually restore, initialize, and then sync one playlist at a time, until they're all on.  After the files have been loaded, I can do a full sync with no problem.  

One of the smartlists that I'm loading has 1965 songs on it, so that makes my logic rule out the theory that the havoc is caused by the volume of data being transfer -- this smartlist has like 90% of the 2160 total files on my iPod and it transfers fine... by itself.  

But at least 650 songs are on that and another smartlist.  Of those, 146 are on another TWO smartlists, and of those, 42 are on yet another.  In tonight's full sync, I have 3145 recounts, hehe, more recounts than actual songs loaded!

This behaviour has been going on for a while, is present in MC 9.1.238's included plugin and also in the downloaded 9.0.38 plugin.  It's totally recreate-able.

PS - heyas Matt, any chance of getting the handheld plugin's version number included in the system info?  That'd be sweet.

Media Center Registered 9.1.238 -- P:\Software\Installed Programs\J River\

Intel Pentium 4 1773 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 360 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up