INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 36756 times)

indevelopment

• Recent member
  • music is my ticket to freedom...
Re: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2003, 05:43:11 am »

.243 worked great for me this evening, updating playcounts (and not overwriting them) on a 15gb ipod.

Immense kudos ;) to all involved for making this possible.

Grant
(a virgin poster) ;)

indevelopment

• Recent member
You probably know this but
« Reply #101 on: September 03, 2003, 06:20:05 am »

When you synch the ipod to the pc library, the ipod count doesn't clear. So if you do this multiple times (like I accidentially did), the ipod's info gets reapplied.

Other than that, stable as a rock so far.

Grant

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2003, 09:34:01 am »

I was unsuccessful in updating MC from my iPod last night.  Here's what I did:

Listened to song all the way through (does it matter?)
Changed song rating from nothing to 5
Mounted iPod and clicked Synch Info from iPod
Nothing happened (no dialog box or anything (should there be?))
Checked song in MC database and no change to either rating (still zero) or playcount

So then I thought I'd 'initialize iPod' from within MC and re-download all songs.  Did that and tried above again.  No difference.

FYI, I'm running .243 on XP Home.

Eugene

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2003, 10:18:32 am »

Eugene :
I was unsuccessful in updating MC from my iPod last night.

Yeah. I'm having problems too. I'm wondering if I'm missing something really obvious.

Running with 9.1.243 and plugin v9.0.48 and a freshly initialised iPod, I don't seem to get my MC info (i.e. rating and play count) transfered to and from the iPod (I synch with 'Update Tags' checked)

So, a track rated 5 stars in MC, has no rating on the Ipod after synching. If I then rate it as 3 stars on the iPod, it still has it's original rating of 5 stars when plug the iPod back into it's cradle and check the contents via MC.

I'll post more detailed info if it helps.

A question -- when viewing the Ipod playlists via MC, should I be able to change the rating directly through MC ? Because I can't. If I change a 1 star track to 5 stars, when I refresh, it changes back to 1 star.

Media Center Registered 9.1.243 -- J:\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1544 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 240 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\notify.wav

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2003, 10:30:20 am »

Just to add some more information (someone in the .243 thread mentions the same problem):

One time last night when I tried to Synch info from iPod, MC just disappeared.  No errors, just closed on me.

Eugene

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #105 on: September 03, 2003, 01:57:10 pm »

Eugene, Bob007, Kurt

I will look into these issues tomorrow.

Tim,

It does not increment automatically, you must use the 'Synchronize iPod info with PC' option, but this still needs some work.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2003, 07:05:04 pm »

Steve:

Can you check out this thread over at the 'lounge?  

It looks like the Composer tag is all of a sudden not getting populated on the iPod.

****EDIT:  Never mind, it's working fine.  I was using it on an older iPod and hadn't initialized it for MC9 in a while....

Adam

indevelopment

• Recent member
.244 build is great
« Reply #107 on: September 04, 2003, 05:28:00 am »

Using .244 and ratings are being transferred. Unreal!

Grant

Media Center Registered 9.1.244 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1535 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 246 MB

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #108 on: September 04, 2003, 08:24:49 am »

Unsuccessful updates of rating / play counts to & from iPod

EDIT - BOB007 : Ignore the following...I don't think it's an appropriate example...

I've upgraded to 244 and tried this again, with no success. MC information is not being transfered to the iPod.

I did the following (anyone spot any mistakes?) :

1. Created new playlist, "iPod Test" containing 2 tracks as follows :

Her_MajestyThe Beatles No. of Plays : 3 Rating :  * * *Duration : 0:23
JetsBlurNo. of Plays : 0Rating : * * * * * Duration : 6:25

[/size]
2. Inserted iPod into cradle ; Selected "L:" (my desiginated iPod Drive), right clicked on "Initialised iPod" and waited for format to complete.

3. Right clicked on "L:" and selected "Synchronise Files"
(I only have checked the "Ipod Test" Playlist. Additionally, "Update Tags" is checked and nothing is selected via the "options" menu)

4. I  OKed this and watched the 2 files being synched.

5. The MC view of iPod corresponds with 1. above EXCEPT the song durations are incorrect  i.e. :

Her_MajestyThe Beatles No. of Plays : 3 Rating : * * *Duration : 0:00
JetsBlurNo. of Plays : 0Rating : * * * * * Duration : 0:06

[/size]
6. Ejected the iPod and from iPod itself, selected "Browse"->"Songs"->"Jets" ; Rating displays as no stars. Same result for the other track.

7. Plug Ipod back into its cradle. MC view of iPod still corresponds with 5 above i.e. ratings are as were originally.

15 Gb, 3rd Generation iPod with latest Firmware

Media Center Registered 9.1.244 -- J:\J River\Media Jukebox\

AMD Athlon 1543 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 204 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\notify.wav

Burning /  Drive D: HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8160B    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
[/color]

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #109 on: September 04, 2003, 09:05:10 am »

Bob,

Steve hasn't integrated iPod -> MC dataflow for ratings and playcounts into the main file synchronization process yet.  I think he's keeping it separate until it works perfectly.

To test the ratings and playcounts, right-click your iPod and select "Synchronize iPod data with MC" (or words to that effect, not in front of MC right now) and it will be transferred.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #110 on: September 04, 2003, 09:37:05 am »

Kurt Young :
Steve hasn't integrated iPod -> MC dataflow for ratings and playcounts into the main file synchronization process yet.  I think he's keeping it separate until it works perfectly.

I thought the 'Synchronise Files' process was one way i.e. MC -> iPod only. At any rate, I cannot get this to update Ratings or Playcounts on the iPod itself.

To test the ratings and playcounts, right-click your iPod and select "Synchronize iPod data with MC" (or words to that effect, not in front of MC right now) and it will be transferred.

The "Synch iPod data with MC", I assume, was for data transfer from ipod to MC -- this I can appreciate not being fully implemented for fear of screwing users MC settings.

But, at any rate, if I select it, nothing appears to happen. No update to the iPod, at any rate.

I think I'll go back and read through this thread to make I'm not missing anything obvious.

Thanks for your help.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2003, 10:01:43 am »

Bob007:

I think what you're confused by is what syncing is working and what isn't.

Right now, Steve is able to transfer playcounts and ratings from the iPod to your PC.

But, adding the rating info from MC9 to the iPod isn't working yet.

Make sense?

Adam

fex

« Reply #112 on: September 04, 2003, 10:36:06 am »

Bob,

Works for me, using 15 Gb, 3rd Generation iPod.

Amazing. Never thought, Steve would make this ever work.

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #113 on: September 04, 2003, 10:51:04 am »

Adam :
I think what you're confused by is what syncing is working and what isn't.

Right now, Steve is able to transfer playcounts and ratings from the iPod to your PC.

Ok. I apologise - I may have misunderstood/misread this thread in my haste to get things working...

BUT

...I am definitely not able to transfer iPod information (ratings, playcounts) back to MC9 no matter what I attempt.

Another example :

I have an MC9 track with a playcount of 1. I synch this with the iPod (I expect no information to be transferred, as you said).
I play this 3 times on the (now ejected) iPod.
I re-insert the iPod back into its cradle. The MC9 view of the iPod gives a playcount of 1 (the original value). I perform a "Synch Ipod Info with PC" (nothing appears to happen) ; the playcount value in MC9 is updated to "2" (not "4" as expected)....which, I assume is the original count ("1") plus what MC9 is still seeing as the (not updated) value on the iPod ("1", again)

But, adding the rating info from MC9 to the iPod isn't working yet.

...my mistake on that front. Again, apologies

Perhaps I'll take a back seat on this until others can confirm similar issues.

Eugene - Can you confirm you're experiencing the same problems ?

Thanks for your time, Adam.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #114 on: September 04, 2003, 11:07:49 am »

Bob007

Are you getting strange duration readings when you upload a track to your Ipod? Your first post seemed to indicate that you were.

I'm having that trouble myself and thought I was the only one!

John

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2003, 01:20:04 pm »

Bob,

Yes I am seeing the same problem.  I cannot get ratings or playcounts to synch from my iPod to MC via the Sync iPod with PC option.  Either nothing happens at all or MC closes (w/o error message).

Eugene

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #116 on: September 04, 2003, 01:37:59 pm »

Posted by: sirshambling

Are you getting strange duration readings when you upload a track to your Ipod? Your first post seemed to indicate that you were.

I'm having that trouble myself and thought I was the only one!

Yes. That was something I had spotted during my Ipod woes. I've not noticed it before. Example : My test Ipod playlist has 4 tracks with the following durations ([m]:[ss] format) :

00:23
06:25
02:57
10:06

Synching this playlist to the Ipod, the MC view of the Ipod playlist shows the durations as :

0:00
0:06
0:02
0:10

As you can see, the minute field seems to become the second field when going from MC playlist to iPod playlist.

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2003, 01:38:11 pm »

I too am having problems guys.  Not sure what's going on.  It worked the first time I tried it.  Then Steve changed something and I'm not seeing the Playcounts/Ratings getting updated in MC9 from the iPod.

Not happens when I select that option...

Quite strange..

Steve?  You must be really busy.  ;)

Adam

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #118 on: September 04, 2003, 01:44:12 pm »

Bob007

I'm not sure it's minutes becoming seconds. I have 3,000 files approx which range from 0.01 to 0.30 and they seem to be proportional to the actual length of the track.

Sorry you're having trouble too - but relieved it's not my imagination/config!

I think it's tied in to the work Steve's doing on playcounts etc as I noticed this effect when he started making those changes.

Absolutely certain he'll fix it!

John

Bob007

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #119 on: September 04, 2003, 01:56:15 pm »

I'm not sure it's minutes becoming seconds. I have 3,000 files approx which range from 0.01 to 0.30 and they seem to be proportional to the actual length of the track.

Hmmm. I've just upload a 43 minute track. It registers as having a duration of 43 seconds in the MC view of the Ipod tracks. It appears to be cosmetic. If I play the track in MC (by selecting the it from the Ipod list) or, indeed, from the iPod itself, the duration is correctly shown on the progress bar.

Adam -- You'll forgive me for finding some relief in your new found problem. I thought I was doing something REALLY stupid (the jury's still out though, I guess)

SteveG

« Reply #120 on: September 04, 2003, 02:01:02 pm »

Everyone,

You all are indeed correct, there was a bug in the Duration field which I stomped and all should be better in tonight's build.

Now, about Ratings and Playcounts.....

What should work now is the ability to transfer Rating info to the iPod although the Rating will not be visible on the iPod. If you change a Rating on iPod and select to update the PC, these changes should go across (except for when they are set to 0  stars so as not to overwrite what exists in MC)

The big hurdle to cross is now figuring out how to get iPod to recognize the Ratings. I know it can be done. I also know that the solution is something in how the iTunesDB is written. There must be some setting somewhere in that morass that alerts iPod to read the Play Count data.  Trying to find it without any documentation involves hunting through the file byte by byte. It is frustrating and time consuming. Please be patient, I am working on it whenever I have free moments.

Steve

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #121 on: September 04, 2003, 03:30:33 pm »

*Really* looking forward to trying tonight's release!  Thanks for your efforts.  I'll provide feedback later tonight.

On the MC ratings to iPod issue, maybe this is a silly question but isn't there some sort of developer support available from Apple?

Eugene

Kurt Young

« Reply #122 on: September 04, 2003, 03:54:04 pm »

Everyone,

You all are indeed correct, there was a bug in the Duration field which I stomped and all should be better in tonight's build.

Now, about Ratings and Playcounts.....

What should work now is the ability to transfer Rating info to the iPod although the Rating will not be visible on the iPod. If you change a Rating on iPod and select to update the PC, these changes should go across (except for when they are set to 0  stars so as not to overwrite what exists in MC)

The big hurdle to cross is now figuring out how to get iPod to recognize the Ratings. I know it can be done. I also know that the solution is something in how the iTunesDB is written. There must be some setting somewhere in that morass that alerts iPod to read the Play Count data.  Trying to find it without any documentation involves hunting through the file byte by byte. It is frustrating and time consuming. Please be patient, I am working on it whenever I have free moments.

Steve

Steve-O, I feel your pain.  Good luck, I know you'll find it.  Take a breather from time to time... sip some chai tea and do some tai chi.  :)

The progress that you've made is superb and very much appreciated, bro.  I'm going to ask again just to make sure that you're planning on implementing last played date data to flow down to MC with the ratings and playcounts.  We use "playcounts" as a catch-term for both Last Played and Number Plays, and I've been feeling lately that one's getting overlooked in favor of t'other.

Get some rest tonight, bro... Friday's almost here!  I said 'Woot!' uh-huh!
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #123 on: September 04, 2003, 04:24:03 pm »

Aye Kurt
Ye are poet

Chai Tea
Tai Chi

Say after me
Chai Tea
Tai Chi

Faster now
Without haste

TimB

« Reply #124 on: September 04, 2003, 05:26:48 pm »

*Really* looking forward to trying tonight's release!  Thanks for your efforts.  I'll provide feedback later tonight.

On the MC ratings to iPod issue, maybe this is a silly question but isn't there some sort of developer support available from Apple?

Eugene

I think Steve tried contacting Apple way back and there's no support for third party applications and the iPod.

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #125 on: September 04, 2003, 06:05:49 pm »

And I googled through 15 pages today and found nothing that Steve doesn't already have (the linux stuff).

Alas, it's needle in the haystack time.

And to echo Kurt's remarks (though not as poetic), we are esctatic with the work so far Steve.  Keep it up, don't get down, Jim said that raise was coming soon.

Didn't you Jim?  :D

Adam

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #126 on: September 04, 2003, 06:33:14 pm »

Hey SteveG,

When MC is open, the iPod tray icon fails to unmount the iPod.  It did it a month or two ago.

When I "Eject Device" in MC, it does get rid of the "Do Not Disconnect" screens, but the iPod tray icon still has the option of "Unmount iPod".

It would make more sense if it said "Mound iPod" in that situation.

Thanks,

Dan "da Man"

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2003, 08:07:08 pm »

Well I installed .245 tonight and unfortunately I get a 'media core' error when I try 'synch iPod with PC'.  I see vestiges of the right mouse click list and my cursor goes to a cursor w/hour glass.  Then I get the error.  Clicking OK exits me.

I am fine with regular iPod synching though.

Eugene

PS - I also got this after a reboot too.

Kurt Young

« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2003, 09:40:06 pm »

Aye Kurt
Ye are poet

<snip!>

Yessir!  And I feel more at home now that someone else's sayin' "Aye" around here!

Though I try not to perform on demand, I realize that if I don't lay down a Haiku with the swiftness, my fans'll be upset again (like that one time in Detroit... sorry bout the microphone stand, Kelly).

Media Center:
More control than iTunes has.
Playcounts coming soon.

mjextman.exe /ipodsync

SteveG

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2003, 12:54:57 pm »

Eugene and all,

Sorry for the problems with ratings and playcounts. Hold on until a new version next week for Playcount Rating etc. issues.

Have a good weekend.

Steve

PS Dan, I am not sure on that. that code has not been modified in a long time.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2003, 01:37:45 pm »

Hmm, am I not understanding something?

I would LOVE to synch my iPod playcounts with MC9. I listen to music almost exclusively on the iPod.

I have a 2nd Gen 10GB iPod.

Just downloaded and installed 9.1.246 and I'm still getting the same error -- whenever I right click on the iPod in MC9 and pick "Sych iPod info w/PC" I get a Windows Media core error.

The "Error Signature" is: AppName: media jukebox.exe       AppVer: 9.1.246.0       ModName: media jukebox.exe
ModVer: 9.1.246.0       Offset: 001b6651

Media Center Registered 9.1.246 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1865 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 130 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive G:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #131 on: September 07, 2003, 06:30:23 pm »

I believe right now that it only works on gen3 iPods.  At least that's my understanding....

Adam

TimB

« Reply #132 on: September 08, 2003, 03:33:15 am »

I believe right now that it only works on gen3 iPods.  At least that's my understanding....

Adam

Playcounts?  Really?

::pout::

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #133 on: September 08, 2003, 01:29:55 pm »

I'm going to take that back.  I tried it on my 1.3 Gen2 iPod and it worked fine.  I didn't verify if playcounts actually went up though.  But it didn't crash.

Ratings won't work because, well, 1st & 2nd gen iPods don't support Ratings.

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #134 on: September 08, 2003, 02:01:28 pm »

Everyone,

Tonight's build has some major internal changes with the iPod. Please do not get it unless you are willing to perhaps need to reformat.

The good news is, I made some major progress on Playcounts and Ratings today. More info tomorrow.

Steve

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #135 on: September 08, 2003, 05:16:49 pm »

Steve,

Here's the steps I took tonight:

1. Downloaded and installed .247
2. Performed 'Initialize iPod'
3. Performed 'Synchronize Files' to send All MP3's to iPod
4. Selected 'Eject iPod'
5. Listened to one song and rated it 5 stars (zero in MC)
6. Tried 'Synchronize iPod info with PC'

I no longer get the Media Core error.  However it's like previous versions, where nothing happened.  I went and check the song in MC and no rating and no play count increment.

Running Windows XP Home w/iPod 3G 30gig.

Eugene

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2003, 08:04:09 pm »

Steve:

Didn't have any problems with the new build and my sync.  It appeared to update ratings, not so sure about playcounts.  It only updated like 10 songs which were the ones I changed ratings on.  Not sure if playcounts is working.

Can't wait until tomorrow.  The tease is too great.  Just want to throw out there not to forget Last Played date updating.  I want to be able to add that "haven't heard in 2 weeks" rule and the wait is killing me!  ;D

Adam

Grimmi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2003, 09:00:38 pm »

Couple questions:

re playcounts on the iPod, this must be a value kept on the iPod but not displayed? I only ask as I've never seen this value displayed by my iPod anywhere.  

re Ratings, the last time I tried syncing my iPod with my library info all my ratings were wiped out and replaced by the couple songs I had changed on the iPod (that is all songs returned to no stars except the few I had rated on the iPod) can someone confirm this is no longer the case?

MC9.1 is coming along nicely btw...great work

Kurt Young

« Reply #138 on: September 08, 2003, 09:55:08 pm »

Couple questions:

re playcounts on the iPod, this must be a value kept on the iPod but not displayed? I only ask as I've never seen this value displayed by my iPod anywhere.  
<snip!>

Ye haven't seen it, but aye, it's there.  Trust me.  It's there, and the iPod knows it's there, and one day we'll be able to take advantage of it.

On a related note, have any of you ever gone to http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html and asked them to release some form of SDK for the iPod?  If one existed, Steve wouldn't have to bang his head against the wall as much as he does now, and third parties in general would be able to take full advantage of the amazing things that this device's CPU can do.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

Kurt Young

« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2003, 06:51:38 am »

So I downloaded the latest build last night and synched.  Just a quick "maintenance sync."  This morning, on the way to work, guess what I saw on my iPod's screen, looking right back at me?

Stars.

:D

It's the truth!  I swear!  I'm looking at them right now!

Edit to add system info:

Portable Drives plugin 9.0.49

Media Center Registered 9.1.247 -- P:\Software\Installed Programs\J River\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 1796 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 271 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: No /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  Drive E: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W8432T   Addr: 0:1:0  Speed:8  MaxSpeed:8  BurnProof:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #140 on: September 09, 2003, 08:55:32 am »

Not me Kurt.  As I stated over in the 'lounge.

Did what Kurt did by the way Steve.  Just did my normal sync and didn't have any stars on the iPod.

I did NOT do a restore first in case that's going to be needed.

Should I see Stars?  ;)

Adam

SteveG

« Reply #141 on: September 09, 2003, 10:43:16 am »

Everyone,

Tonight's build will feature what I hope is the fully implemented functionality of the Playcounts, Ratings, Last Played Date information.

Here is the way it should work (for now)..

Whenever you upload files, the iPod should reflect the appropriate Rating and Playcount as MC reports it. After disconnecting the iPod any changes to the Rating and Playcount will be shown when you reconnect. The Playcount will be a reflection of how many times you played the files on iPod.

If you right click and select 'Send iPod info to PC' then the Playcount in MC will increment by the number of times played on the iPod. The Last Played date and ratings will be updated as well.

Let me know how this is working for you and then I can address the cosmetics of making this more automated.

I must leave now and may not be back before the end of the day so it may be until tomorrow until I can answer questions.

Steve

Kurt Young

« Reply #142 on: September 09, 2003, 11:23:00 am »

Frikkin WOOT!!

My request for the INTERACT community at large:

Someone with a Gen1 or Gen2 iPod, running 1.3 -- please test this out and tell us all if the playcounts and last played dates work with your 1.3Pods.  I know ratings wont, but my "usually too scared to upgrade when everything's working properly already" friend wants to know.

:D
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

ugilt

• Junior Woodchuck
  • a picture says more than a thousand words...
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2003, 01:19:59 pm »

Everyone,

Tonight's build will feature what I hope is the fully implemented functionality of the Playcounts, Ratings, Last Played Date information.

R E S P E C T   ! ! !
I really appreciate all the efforts you have put into this. Can hardly wait for the build  :D

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #144 on: September 09, 2003, 01:27:33 pm »

Kurt:

I'll break out the wife's iPod tonight and see how it works on 1.3.

Steve, great work man.  This is awesome.  Now for the fun cosmetic stuff.  :D

Adam

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #145 on: September 09, 2003, 04:03:50 pm »

Steve,

Docked 3G iPod using new verison of MC (.248) and when iPod appeared, song list pane showed no filed on iPod even though I've got over 1300 on there from a sync I did last night using MC .247.  Against my intuition, I performed a sync anyway (with new songs on an existing playlist), nothing checked, and after the sync, which appeared to go fine, iPod song list only showed new songs I had added to playlists since my last sync.  Ejected device, and now there's nothing on the iPod.  Well, there is because the drive size shows there's data there, but there's nothing in any of the iPod menus.  What gives?

Wobbley

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #146 on: September 09, 2003, 04:52:10 pm »

Bad things for me as well...

After synching...everything looked good in MC9, but my iPod didn't show any songs at all...

BTW - I did reformat after this happened the first time...

Guess I'll be heading back to a prior build...bummer...since the ratings seemed to be working!!!

Media Center Registered 9.1.248 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

AMD Athlon 1002 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 392 MB, Free - 129 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\chimes.wav

Burning /  Drive E: SONY     CD-RW  CRX160E     Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:12  MaxSpeed:12  BurnProof:No
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: No /  Write CD-Text: No

kadish

• Recent member
  • Lovin' MC9...
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2003, 05:43:06 pm »

Just to add to the other posts:

Had the same problem with .248 tonight (blank iPod after first synch).  *However*, I then chose to do an 'Initialize iPod' and sync again.

After synching I saw all my music *and* 5 stars on a song rated via MC.

After that I listened to a song on iPod and changed rating from zero to 5.  Then I did synch.  The ratings and play count did not show in MC database.

So it looked like it was working MC->iPod but not other way around.

So then I thought I'd make a new rating change in MC (from zero to 5) and synch again to iPod.

After synch, I'm back to blank iPod (no songs at all showing).

There's a glimmer of hope here...right...?

Thanks for your persistence Steve.  I can't wait to see this all fall into place!

Eugene

Grimmi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2003, 05:52:34 pm »

Seems a bit buggy, I initialized my iPod using MC9.1.248, then sync'd my collection, everything went ok, playcounts were there, as were ratings.  After a few tests (playing tracks on iPod / pc) and syncing, I ejected my iPod and to my dismay it was as if there was no music loaded on it.  I guess I'll be reverting to 247 until this is fixed

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2003, 07:15:21 pm »

Kadish (and others):

In order to get the iPod info uploaded from the iPod to the PC, you have to select the "Update iPod info to PC" option (or something like that).

Right now it's a two step process.  Hopefully Steve'll get it to a one step process once the bugs are worked out on the updating MC9's database from the iPod.

Adam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up