INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Tools and JRiver  (Read 4691 times)

LeoH

• World Citizen
Pro Tools and JRiver
« on: September 19, 2015, 12:06:17 am »

Not sure of the full nature of the conflict but Media Center 20, and now 21, seem to get crosswise with Pro Tools in Windows. When Pro Tools launches (even with Media Center not active, server or otherwise), the Pro Tools program claims the audio path is use by another program and exits. There is no chance to get to the 'Setup' menu for the 'Playback Engine' to direct Pro Tools to the DAC. This has happened on two different PCs, one running Win7 and the other Win8.1. Also, Media Center WDM audio driver is not installed. Is there a cure? Thx.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pro Tools and J River
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:06 am »

This happens even when MC server, and Client, and the WDM aren't running? Even after a clean reboot where none of them are started with Windows?

If so, that sounds like a question for (Avid?) Pro Tools rather than JRiver. I don't understand how any software could be using the audio path if it isn't running, especially after a clean reboot. The audio path is dynamic. It should be configured based on the software using it. Of course the error Pro Tools reports may not be correct, and there could be some other conflict.

Probably a hard issue to resolve, but I would start with Pro Tools, since it is their software reporting the error.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

theoctavist

• World Citizen
  • a bad liver and a broken heart.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 04:04:08 am »

its a pro tools issue. not JRiver. I know this because Before I stopped using PT (went to sequoia and reaper for good).  I had this same issue.  remove PT and problem sorted. :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 07:14:57 am »

Try disabling JRiver as an ASIO driver.  Tools > Options >General > Features.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Pro Tools and JRiver
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 06:56:12 pm »

I have an older Pro Tools installed, 8.5 (I believe) and have had no problem with it (or Reaper) with MC.  I don't need to shut down MC, or anything else to work with it.  It may be that the sound device in PT is specified incorrectly.  For the most part you need to have an ASIO driver that came from Digidesign or Avid specifically for their devices, or an M-Audio device -- in my case a Profire 2626.  If you try to use an audio device that wasn't designed for PT, you may have problems.  As long as a Digi/Avid ASIO driver is used, it should be smooth sailing through PT 10 and possibly beyond.

--Bill

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:14:29 pm »

A year or so ago, when we first introduced MC as an ASIO driver feature, we got a call from Sony.  They had several programs that were crashing if MC was installed.  They said they might have to blacklist MC.  They may have done that.  Newer versions of their software don't have the problem.

I think the programs open every ASIO device on the machine when they launch.  For some reason, this is apparently a bad idea.

bblue

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:14:43 pm »

Jim,

Sony and Pro Tools issues are different.  With Sony's Vega NLE for video, the best way to make it happy is to temporarily uninstall MC, install Vega, reinstall MC.  Then everything seems to be fine.  That was as of version 12 of Vega, which is the newest I've had installed here.

The PT issue described by the OP is not the same, and as I stated above, is probably being caused by trying to use non-Digi/Avid compatible drivers, not MC.  I checked my MC ASIO configuration and found that it has not been disabled, yet PT works fine with its Profire ASIO driver.  Later versions than mine also will.  I have had version 9 and 10 installed and working here.  MC is always running and causes no problems.

--Bill

LeoH

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:27:27 am »

Many thanks, Jim. Unchecking ASIO driver in Options / General / Features did the trick. All is well with ProTools 12 and Media Center 21.
Pages: [1]   Go Up