INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Down and other hotkeys not working  (Read 7404 times)

Antoine.

• World Citizen
Volume Down and other hotkeys not working
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:02:05 am »

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with the hotkey management the past weeks. Based on this database, I'm trying to get these shortcuts to work properly, with no success: the "volume down" button (volume up is working), "toggle audio", "toggle subtitles" (if it even exists), "previous/next track/file". I'm running MC21 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits.

As far as the Volume down hotkey is concerned, what happens when I'm hitting the "Ctrl + -" command is that the video windows detaches itself. Interestingly enough, the hotkey for this to happen is "Ctrl + 6": on the French keyboard that I use, the "6" is the shifted "-". Yet, the keyboard is properly configured in Windows so it shouldn't trigger the detachment of the video window...

It would be a MAJOR improvement if the hotkeys were easily customizable through a graphic interface like they are in Media Player Classic, for example...

Thanks!

Antoine
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

aproc

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Volume Down and other hotkeys not working
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 09:49:55 am »

+1 to the customizable hotkeys request.

Thanks
aproc

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 10:09:13 am »

You can remap JRiver's hot keys.  I've done this for quite a few keys that I use regularly.  Now my user interface experience is much more to my liking.  :)

It's not super duper friendly, but it's not *that* hard either.  Here's the wiki article to get you started:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 11:40:11 am »

Thanks for the link!

Yes, it's not rocket science. But it is an essential feature for any software that it is even remotely aimed at the general public!  And the fact that the documentation is not complete (there aren't nearly enough informations for a complete newcomer to edit his own file) and functionnal (the link towards the Ressource xml file is dead) does not help...
Server: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC26 - Caselabs Mercury S5 - Corsair HX1000i - ASRock Z97M OC Formula - Intel i7-4790t - 16Gb - Crucial M500 960GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 4G - RAID5 : WD Red 4TB (6x) + Adaptec 6805 - JBOD : WG Green 4TB (4x) - Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 - Kef Egg.

HTPC: Windows 10 Pro (64bits) & MC25 - Streacom F12C  - Streacom FLIRC - Corsair HX750i - ASRock Z97 Extreme4 - Intel i5-4690s - 16Gb - Crucial M500 480GB - MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G - Asus Essence STX II.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 12:21:16 pm »

The link to the Resource.xml file works.  :)  It's just XML, so if you view it in a web browser it doesn't show anything.  Doing View Page Source will show you the raw XML.  But really, you want to download it so you can edit it.

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/misc/Resource.xml

Right click and do save link as.

If you need help mapping keys, please ask.  I'll try to help and I'm sure others will too.

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »

Indeed the page was blank in Chrome (not in IE). This may be confusing to many users, it should be zipped to avoid it ;-)
Anyway, I got a "Ressource_xml.mht". Am i suppose to edit is under this name in the Custom Ressoure folder (the guidelines refer to "Ressource.xml")?

Thanks for your assitance,

Seriously though there could at least be basic guidelines as to how to proceed with this, written in plain english, because the help I'm supposed to find in the MHT file is barely readable, with all kinds of weird symbols between 2 half-sentences.

Antoine

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 07:15:26 pm »

Anyway, I got a "Ressource_xml.mht". Am i suppose to edit is under this name in the Custom Ressoure folder (the guidelines refer to "Ressource.xml")?

That's really weird.  Try right clicking on the link and choosing "save link as".  You definitely want to end up with a Resource.xml file.  It should be placed in the Custom Resources folder as indicated in the instructions.  That file includes a dozen or so custom key mappings.  They are near the bottom of the file and are explained in the comments.

Once you get the file in place, those mappings should work (after you restart MC).  If you need any guidance mapping your own keys, post here and we'll help you.

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 07:19:24 pm »

I did try to "save as" multiple times ! To no avail...
I'm using Chrome. Can you D/L it?

EDIT: Nevermind ! The 10th time was successful. And the file is readable this time!

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:42:36 pm »

The forum seems to have mangled the link that I posted.  But the link in the wiki article works fine.  I just tested saving it and it worked well.  Sorry you've had such trouble getting to step 0.  Now the rest should be cake right?  :)

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 07:45:53 pm »

Yes I think so, it looks pretty straightforward.

Thank you for your assistance, I'll give it a try and will (almost certainly) be back for more questions :-)

Antoine

Antoine.

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:56:19 am »

Okay, after a 1st (unsuccessful) test, I realize that I have a few questions about editing the Ressource.xml file:

How does the "Resource.xml" file work?:
  • If there is a conflict between an accelerator from the Custom file and one from the Default file, I take it that the Custom one prevails?

The structure of the file itself:
  • The original Ressource.xml file looks messy in Notepad, and thus difficult to read. Is it ok if I jump to a new line everytime to make it easier for me?
  • I take it that the shortcuts should be edited between the "Accelerators" markers. But does the structure within this space matter? Or Can I just pile them up, line after line, regardless of the order?
  • Should I delete the examples given on top of the Accelerators section?
  • I can see in the example descriptions of what the shortcuts actually do: are there such markers just to make the file easier to read and come back at (in which case I could create my own)? Or are they important?

How each accelerator is coded.
  • Lets start with parameters. Sometimes, I can't understand what's written in the catalogue of MCC's.
    • MCC 10003 (Next) parameter reads "bool bNotActualNext". What does it mean?
    • MCC 10052 & 10053 (set audio stream and subtitles): "int nIndex" (-1 toggles forward, -2 toggles backwards). Not knowing what it meant (I guess insert index number, but that does not help me), I set it at "0".
    • MCC 100036 (stop after current file): "bool bStopAfterCurrentFile (-1 toggles)". Same question. Also set it at "0"...
    • MCC 21004 (delete): "bool bAggressive"? Same question.
    • MCC 30007 (Playlist): "int nPlaylistID". I guess it means "insert playlist ID". I tried the playlist name (with spaces) and it did not work. Is this ID something else? How do I refer to playlists nested in a group?
  • Global: the point is to make the accelerator operate even when MC runs in background? I always set it at "1", hoping this isn't a problem.

Bottom line is, I didn't get any of my accelerators to work...Here is what I wrote :

Code: [Select]
<ACCELERATORS>

<Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;1" Command="30007" Param="Nouvelle musique" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;NumPad1" Command="30007" Param="Nouvelle musique" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;2" Command="30007" Param="All Stars" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;NumPad2" Command="30007" Param="All Stars" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;3" Command="30007" Param="Relax" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;NumPad3" Command="30007" Param="Relax" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;4" Command="30007" Param="Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Times" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;NumPad4" Command="30007" Param="Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;0" Command="30007" Param="Podcasts à lire" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;NumPad0" Command="30007" Param="Podcasts à lire" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;u" Command="10018" Param="2" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;i" Command="10019" Param="2" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;m" Command="10017" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;," Command="10004" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;n" Command="10003" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;p" Command="10036" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;a" Command="10053" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;b" Command="10052" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;d" Command="21004" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="²" Command="10023" Param="0" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="&" Command="10023" Param="1" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="é" Command="10023" Param="2" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key=""" Command="10023" Param="3" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="'" Command="10023" Param="4" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="(" Command="10023" Param="5" Global="1" />
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;s" Command="27001" Param="0" Global="1" />

</ACCELERATORS>

If you want to take a look at the whole file, you can have a look here

Antoine

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2015, 10:30:50 am »

• If there is a conflict between an accelerator from the Custom file and one from the Default file, I take it that the Custom one prevails?

Correct.  The Custom Resources file is read last.  If there are entries that use the same keys, the ones in the custom file are used.

• The original Ressource.xml file looks messy in Notepad, and thus difficult to read. Is it ok if I jump to a new line everytime to make it easier for me?

The file should be formatted so that different "levels" of the code are indented to show where they are.  For example, all of the <Entry Key .... /> items should be indented to the same level.  But I don't think the indentation matters as far as MC is concerned.  I would definitely put each <Entry ..../> on a new line by itself.  Follow the way the examples were laid out and you'll be fine.

• I take it that the shortcuts should be edited Between the "Accelerators" markers. But does the structure within this space matter? Or Can I just pile them up, line after line, regardless of the order?
    • Should I delete the examples given on top of the Accelerators section?

Order doesn't matter.  Like you said, they just have to be between the Accelerators opening and closing tags.  The examples are to help you.  You can leave them, or delete them, or change them.  I still have all of them in my file.  <shrug>

• I can see in the example descriptions of what the shortcuts actually do: are there such markers just to make the file easier to read and come back at (in which case I could create my own)? Or are they important?

The text in lines like this are called comments:

<!-- Make Ctrl;Shift;1...4 play playlists -->
    Comments are ignored by MC's engine.  They are there to help whoever reads the file to understand what it's trying to do.  It's like notes to yourself or to others.  They are very helpful, especially months or years later.  You'll find these in almost every programming language.

• Lets start with parameters. Sometimes, I can't understand what's written in the catalogue of MCC's.
      • MCC 10003 (Next) parameter reads "bool bNotActualNext". What does it mean?
      • MCC 10052 & 10053 (set audio stream and subtitles): "int nIndex" (-1 toggles forward, -2 toggles backwards). Not knowing what it meant (I guess insert index number, but that does not help me), I set it at "0".
      • MCC 100036 (stop after current file): "bool bStopAfterCurrentFile (-1 toggles)". Same question. Also set it at "0"...
      • MCC 21004 (delete): "bool bAggressive"? Same question.
    All of those "bool blahblahblah" things are C++ code variables.  MC's Core Commands can be called via C++, a web interface, custom hot keys (like you are doing), and probably other ways I can't remember or don't know.  I don't know the answer for setting all of these, but I know a few answers.  For Next (10003), set Param to 0.  I played with Subtitles and I couldn't get it to do anything via hot keys.  It might need to be on before cycling works.  I'm not sure, I just know I wasn't able to make it work.

I'm going to stop this post here and pick up in the next one so it's a little more understandable.

Brian[/list]

blgentry

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 10:50:09 am »

To get some results, we should start with the absolute basics.  Save off the file you have now somewhere so you don't lose it.  Then erase all of the mappings you have in Resource.xml.  Now let's start with just one command and get that working.  Once that works, you'll know that you have the file in the right place, you have the correct syntax, etc.  It gives you something you can return to as a working configuration.

I have Ctrl-D mapped to bring up DSP Studio because I use it so frequently.  That's a nice safe place to start.  Put in just this one Accelerator command:

<!-- DSP Studio -->
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;D" Command="10016" Param="0" />
        Save the file and restart MC.  Once you get that working, we can move on to harder things.  Keep reading below....

• MCC 30007 (Playlist): "int nPlaylistID". I guess it means "insert playlist ID". I tried the playlist name (with spaces) and it did not work. Is this ID something else? How do I refer to playlists nested in a group?
    [/li][/list]

The Playlist ID is a unique identifying number for every playlist on your system.  "int" is the C++ variable type for Integer (as opposed to floating point number).  Getting that playlist ID isn't a built in function or property as you might expect it to be.  It's there, but it's sort of hidden.  If you make a new Smartlist, and put in a criteria of "Playlist is any " and select a playlist, you can see the Playlist ID.  Once you set that criteria in the Edit Smartlist dialog, you can display the underlying "code".  Press Import/Export at the lower left corner.  You'll see something like:  playlistid==536854610  .  That big number is the Playlist ID.  Playlist Groups have IDs too, but that really doesn't matter for your purposes.  Just select the list you want, no matter how deeply nested it is, then use Import/Export to find it's Playlist ID number.  Put that number into the Param and it will work.

• Global: the point is to make the accelerator operate even when MC runs in background? I always set it at "1", hoping this isn't a problem.

Honestly not sure how this works.  I don't use Global on most of my keys.

Start small.  Get one key working and verify it.  Then add another key and verify that it works.  This can require quite a bit of trial and error.  I've found that some keys don't want to map at all.  I think a very small number of keys might be either taken by the operating system, or deeply coded into MC.  I'm not 100% sure; I just know some keys won't map.  If you suspect you have a key that won't map, change it to something else and try again.

I noticed in your file that you are trying to map the double quote character:  "
    That might be difficult.  At a minimum you need to escape that character with / or \ as double quotes are used as delimiters *in* the Resource file.  Maybe tackle that key last, or nearly last when you have a bunch of other stuff working properly.

I want to hear how you are coming along with this.  Be sure to post your results. 

Good luck!

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
    « Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

Thank you very much for your detailed answers! It helped me a lot giving me clearer look at how editing this file works.
    • The remark on the use of "as a shortcut is noted (you were right, it is a bad idea; using a French keyboard it is the default value of the "3" key that is why I was attempting to use it).
    • I'll probably stop using the Global for now...

According to your advice, I started again with a more patient approach to this. I just managed to get my 1st shortcuts to work!  ;D (Volume +/-, and mute). At least this tells me that I'm on the right track and that I can continue, one shortcut at a time.

A few remaining questions:
    • Playlists: I followed your instruction creating a new smartlist to get the playlist ID. All I'm seeing when I'm selecting "Playlist is any" is a list of the playlists by name... nothing more  ?
    • Are you sure that the Custom Resource file overrides efficiently the Default Resource file? Because when I'm setting up a new shortcut (a simple one: 10003 & 100004, with parameter at "0" like you advised) with a combination of key that is used by the default mode (say Ctrl L & M), the preference of the custom file does not seem to apply and the old combination still works at the expense of my custom one (... even when I'm restarting the software. And My first 3 shortcuts still work so it's not a general problem. Can I take the extreme measure of deleting these shortcuts in the Default file when this happens?
    • Update: I got them (10003 & 100004) to work by adding a "Shift" in the mix :P (but it doesn't reaaly solve the long-term problem).

Thanks again for your patience!

Sincerely,

Antoine

Last update: I managed to get audio stream and subtitles toggling to work. This is a big step, since it was the actual reason for which I tried to customize the shortcuts in the first place 8) I'm trying to avoid the combinations already in use now (not sure it's going to last). FYI, this worked for the subtitles (embedded):
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;E" Command="10052" Param="-1" />

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 03:56:27 pm »

Playlists: I followed your instruction creating a new smartlist to get the playlist ID. All I'm seeing when I'm selecting "Playlist is any" is a list of the playlists by name... nothing more  ?

You're almost there!  Check the box next to one of the playlists.  Now you'll see "Playlist is any MyGreatPlaylist".  To see the Playlist ID, you have to look at the code via the Import/Export button.  Press Import/Export at the lower left of the Smarlist Editing dialog.  It will bring up a new dialog box with the code in it.  There you will see the Playlist ID as a long number.

Are you sure that the Custom Resource file overrides efficiently the Default Resource file? Because when I'm setting up a new shortcut (a simple one: 10003 & 100004, with parameter at "0" like you advised) with a combination of key that is used by the default mode (say Ctrl L & M), the preference of the custom file does not seem to apply and the old combination still works at the expense of my custom one (... even when I'm restarting the software. And My first 3 shortcuts still work so it's not a general problem. Can I take the extreme measure of deleting these shortcuts in the Default file when this happens?

I think that generally speaking you can override defaults with custom mappings.  I have Ctrl;N mapped to something different than the default and it works.  I just tried mapping Ctrl;M to command 10003 and it worked properly.  Note that I'm on a Mac and not Windows.  So there may be subtle differences in key mappings.  For example, Ctrl means the Control key on your keyboard.  It means the Command (or Apple or Clover) key on mine.  I *think* there are a few keys you can't override, but I'm not 100% sure.  I've always just worked around the few that didn't work for me by using a different key.  That's really the best way to be sure.  See if you can make the command work with a different key combination.  Alt can be used as a modifier also.  I use it for a few commands in my file.  I don't know what will happen if you delete it from the default file.  I would guess that's not recommended.

Last update: I managed to get audio stream and subtitles toggling to work. This is a big step, since it was the actual reason for which I tried to customize the shortcuts in the first place 8) I'm trying to avoid the combinations already in use now (not sure it's going to last). FYI, this worked for the subtitles (embedded):
    <Entry Key="Ctrl;Shift;E" Command="10052" Param="-1" />

Congratulations on having some success with this!  Good luck going forward.

Brian.

Antoine.

• World Citizen
    « Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 01:38:58 pm »

Sorry for having forced you to repeat yourself about the playlists, I don't why I  missed the last step! Since Playlist ID is potentially useful, maybe it should be displayed right away, because having to start a fake Smartlist is far from optimal. The same could be said about the ZoneID...

About the Custom resource file, everything seems to be in working order now...

Big thanks for guiding me through this ! I'm still thinking that having this made easier for users should be a a priority though  ;D

Antoine

blgentry

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »

Glad to help you.  The process could certainly be easier.  But you got it done!

Did you figure out something about the key or keys that you previously could not map?  I'm interested in the details so we can know for future use.

Regarding the Playlist ID:  There might be some easier way to get to this value.  I showed you the only way I personally know to get there.  Glad you got it working.  :)

Brian.
    Pages: [1]   Go Up