INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Display More Accurate Info About Handheld Sync  (Read 2026 times)

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
Feature Request: Display More Accurate Info About Handheld Sync
« on: October 29, 2015, 04:36:58 am »

Hi,

I have a two-part request.

Part A
Currently when smartlists which have 'limit size' or 'remove duplicates' modifiers are synced to a handheld the info in the status bar and the action window about total number of songs and their combined size takes into account only files that have status 'on device' and files 'in queue', but not the files that have status 'delete on sync'.

It results in
1) reporting total size that is over capacity in status bar and saying ''X gb over capacity after N gb transfer'' in action window
2) reporting total number of songs that is not equal to the number of songs that will be on device after the transfer is complete
3) a bit of confusion on my side (sometimes)

Part B
Files that have status 'in queue' are grouped together and displayed at the top of the list. Files with the status 'delete on sync' are interspersed among files with the status 'on device'.

Can 'delete on sync' files be also grouped together and
1) displayed below files 'in queue'
2) or displayed at the top of the list when there are no files 'in queue'

Thanks for considering this.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request: Display More Accurate Info About Handheld Sync
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:09:23 am »

Part A
Deletions are done immediately on starting a sync, freeing up space. So the total size of files on the device after a sync will be the In Queue plus the On Device files. That seems correct to me.

Are you saying that the duplicate files are included with the In Queue files, and that the limit size feature isn't being honoured? I haven't played with the limit size, but I assume it limits the size of files selected in a Smartlist, rather than limiting the size to available capacity. So if you have a 1GB device with 500MB on it, then add a Smartlist that includes 550MB of files before 50MB of duplicates are removed from the list, plus add a Smartlist limited to 200MB, and remove a Smartlist that has 300MB in it, you should end up with 900MB on the device. 500+550-50+200-300=900MB. The sequence of events would be 500-300+(550-50)+200, so the capacity is never exceeded.

Part B
You can sort the Device Details display by any column, including the Status column, which groups the different Status' together as you wish. Also, I'm pretty sure opening the Sync Action Window and clicking on the Details link sorts that way as well.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

newHAPPYuser2015

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:40:04 am »

Part A
Deletions are done immediately on starting a sync, freeing up space. So the total size of files on the device after a sync will be the In Queue plus the On Device files. That seems correct to me.

Are you saying that the duplicate files are included with the In Queue files, and that the limit size feature isn't being honoured? I haven't played with the limit size, but I assume it limits the size of files selected in a Smartlist, rather than limiting the size to available capacity. So if you have a 1GB device with 500MB on it, then add a Smartlist that includes 550MB of files before 50MB of duplicates are removed from the list, plus add a Smartlist limited to 200MB, and remove a Smartlist that has 300MB in it, you should end up with 900MB on the device. 500+550-50+200-300=900MB. The sequence of events would be 500-300+(550-50)+200, so the capacity is never exceeded.

I am not saying this. Files are are being transferred correctly, the end result is correct - no duplicates, size limit is honoured. What I'm saying is that when I select handheld under Drives & Devices it shows in the status bar that the handheld has a total of ('on device' files + 'in queue' files) songs, not ('on device' files + 'in queue' - 'delete on sync' files). When syncing to a thumb drive for example - after clicking 'recheck sync' it will say 'N gb over capacity after N gb transfer' in the action window). It can be confusing.

Part B
'In queue' files are at the top of the list by default. I am asking for the 'delete on sync' files also to be grouped and placed near or the at the top of the list (above or below 'in queue' files - doesn't matter really) by default - without clicking status column. I am asking for this because currently it is not possible to create sorting rule with the 'status' column.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 08:22:44 pm »

Part A.
Ah, I see what you mean now. You mean the Status Bar at the bottom of the MC window. I was always looking at the information in the Action Window and at the top of the Synchronisation Details tab.

The information shown in the Status Bar at the bottom of the MC Window when the Synchronisation tab is displayed includes all the files in the synchronisation window, which is all the files involved in the next synchronisation event.

First, it will help if I provide a little more detailed definition of the terms used.

On Device  = These files are on the Device and will remain there after the next synchronisation process.
Delete On Sync = These files are on the Device and will be removed during the next synchronisation process.
In Queue = These files are not yet on the Device, but will be transferred to the Device during the next synchronisation process.

So, after selecting more files to synchronise;
Before the next synchronisation the files on the Device include the "On Device" plus the "Delete On Sync" files.
After the next synchronisation the files on the Device include the "On Device" plus the "In Queue" files.

So, before a synchronisation what is shown in the Status Bar actually includes;
"On Device" plus "Delete On Sync" plus "In Queue" files.

Depending on your setup, after a synchronisation what is shown in the Status Bar actually includes either;
"On Device" files only, or
"On Device" plus "Delete On Sync" files. ( With certain setups or method of use, files that are transferred can immediately be marked as "Delete On Sync". Have a read of this thread to see what I mean: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101017.0 )

This is consistent with all other Status Bar displays for lists in MC, so I don't think that is going to change. What I suggest you do is ignore it, as it has virtually no bearing on the synchronisation. Look at the Next Transfer Summary information, and the Free Space and Transfer Size information, as shown in the attached image.

Part B.
You are correct the Status column is a calculated value so you can't set up a custom sorting rule for it. Well, possibly you could, if the developers shared how the Status field is calculated. I have no idea on that topic.

As it is so easy to click the Status column to sort all the different types together, I doubt that the developers will be changing the default. But they may read this and offer a solution for you.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up