INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does 4K video playback stutter in MC32 but not in VLC?  (Read 160 times)

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I decided to test the video capability of a new Dell XPS 15 laptop by playing a rip of one of my Planet Earth II UHD Blu-rays. This laptop has an OLED screen, an RTX 4060 GPU, and HDR is enabled in Windows 11.

This 4K video plays smoothly on VLC, using its default settings, but I'm struggling to find the optimum configuration in MC32. I lack a detailed understanding of JRVR and therefore simply selected the 'Balanced' preset (which seems appropriate for a laptop version of the RTX 4060). This gives an excellent picture, with possibly better HDR results than VLC, but there are fairly frequent brief stutters in the playback.

Can anyone recommend any tweaks to the JRVR Balanced preset that might fix this problem?

slerch666

• World Citizen
Re: Why does 4K video playback stutter in MC32 but not in VLC?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:04:27 am »

Since your Dell has a 4060, make sure you check the Hardware accelerate video decoding when possible in the main selection menus. Guessing you did but if you didn't, it could cause an issue.

Next up, go through the Taming Windows Defender thread here to ensure Defender isn't getting in your way. I usually hate recommending this as it feels stupid to have to do, but it can help.

The other issue I have with JRVR is what you are asking help on. There is no clear documentation for lay people to understand the performance impact of each setting. You can tweak and play and use thoughts and prayers to solve it and that's about the only option available.

One thing you don't mention is the resolution of the built in screen. If it is lower than 4K and you are watching on the native screen, Scaling options will be used to downscale which MIGHT cause some of your issue. Mess with those settings and see what happens.

Though honestly, I have a 12th gen Intel CPU w/ built in Iris or whatever they call it and I can use pretty much all the scaling features with no issue.

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Why does 4K video playback stutter in MC32 but not in VLC?
« Reply #2 on: Today at 10:41:29 am »

The other issue I have with JRVR is what you are asking help on. There is no clear documentation for lay people to understand the performance impact of each setting. You can tweak and play and use thoughts and prayers to solve it and that's about the only option available.

The almost total lack of any basic JRVR guidance is indeed very frustrating :(

I followed your advice to eliminate the JRiver folder from what is now called Microsoft Defender. However, I had already managed to tame the stutter by first choosing the 'low-end integrated graphics preset', which gave an awful result, as HDR wasn't activated. This was fixed by selecting the Advanced HDR settings 'Use HDR Dynamic Peak Detection' and 'Use Histogram to improve peak detection'.

UHD Blu-ray resolution is 3840 x 2160, while my Dell XPS 15 OLED display is 3456 x 2160. This means that JRVR is required to slightly downsize the image on my laptop. The Downscaling Algorithm was using the basic Bilinear setting. I experimented with the better downscaling options but could only use the second option (Hermite). The third option of Cubic reintroduced the stuttering.

It seems odd that you can use almost all the scaling options with only Iris integrated graphics. Are you testing your system with UHD media?

Pages: [1]   Go Up