INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Create a New Branch in Tree View  (Read 43 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
How to Create a New Branch in Tree View
« on: Today at 12:41:17 pm »

I'd like to create a new 'branch' for a sub-category of views in Tree View on the left side. Basically, I want to create sub-categories grouping artists by country. Right now, if I create a new view for artists from one country, it just adds a new view to the tree every time. These additional views are added alphabetically of course, but I can group them together by calling each one 'Country Something'. But then, that list of views in the tree always shows up, amounting to over 50 entries. How can I group all those 'Country' views under one view, like a new branch, (named 'Artists by Country')? So, it would be something like 'All Artists' > 'Artists by Country' > 'Argentina' and then 'Australia' and so on.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
Re: How to Create a New Branch in Tree View
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:42:09 pm »

The key is to use a backslash in your tag entry.  In MC, the "\" character creates an automatic hierarchy.  I personally use the Panes view to display countries (along with a bunch of other useful categories to quickly filter on), but created a view to illustrate what it looks likes in the tree so that you can expand/collapse variously defined groups there (see attached pix).

I personally use a continent, world region, or USA and UK as my top level group, since that is where the vast majority of my collection derives from.  I follow this top level group with the backslash, and enter a more specific region/country/state.

This same technique can be used to group sub-genres (or style) under a top-level genre.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:28:54 pm »

Just not sure about the tagging that you mentioned. All artists have already been tagged by country, and I can create a view for artists from those countries, but I don't see how to arrange all those views in the tree (e.g. 'Country Australia' and so on) under the view 'Artist Country'. In other words, thanks for taking the trouble with the pics, but I still can't create an 'Artist Country' view with the countries included as a sub-view of that.

HPBEME

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hoisted by his own petard - Lock him up!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:59:39 pm »

If you use the MC built-in field of just [Country] and then create a custom view where that is the one category, as shown in the new attached picture.

For it to automatically group items underneath a top level (which can be whatever you want), you must tag it using the syntax I described in my prior post (and as shown in the 2nd pic).  You can use MC's various Library tools to copy existing data into different tags, as well as automatically adding a backslash to follow the top level category name you want to use.

This will take experimenting on your part to discover how to make it display exactly as you desire. Methodically test what I have described on a small group of files, and you will begin to understand how to make it work. After that, you can re-tag everything in a matter of minutes and have it display as I showed in the first pic of my prior post.
Pages: [1]   Go Up