INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: constantly adding to my library....help on the best way to do this...  (Read 135 times)

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

So i am constantly adding music to my library....all my new music is in a folder and then when i run an import on jriver it looks at the specified folders where the new music is and then transfers them to their respected locations.

for example, all my american music 320kbps goes to a folder completed music and then when i run import i have it watch this folder and then it imports all of the sub folders to c:/music in in artist album song format.

is there a better way to do this? if you need me to provide screenshots how i have it setup maybe that makes more sense?

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

So i am constantly adding music to my library....all my new music is in a folder and then when i run an import on jriver it looks at the specified folders where the new music is and then transfers them to their respected locations.

If you have ripped CDs or downloaded music files outside MC, then you have already chosen the physical locations on your hard drive(s). Subsequently importing that music into MC does not change those locations. It merely adds those files to the MC database, where subsequent organisation is controlled by your metadata settings.

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.

My process is to put all new albums in a folder named "import". Have Media Center import that folder so I can tag them.

I edit the tags so all of the names and my custom fields are filled in properly. Add cover art. Etc.

Then I run the files through the big Rename, Move, & Copy Files dialog to move the files to my NAS.

I have custom directory naming rules and file naming rules that create the directory structure I like on the NAS. So all the albums and artists are organized in a way I like. The Expression Language allows me to create some custom rules that do what I want. And I take advantage of that. It's the Expression Language that gives this process the power and customization.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Expression_Language

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

so i kind of do something similar....

all the files are on my nas to begin with. i open them up in mp3tag edit them there and then move them to a completed folder and then run import. this is one of the many completed folders.. see below

haggis999

• Galactic Citizen

I import new media files via Drives & Devices, not Library > Import, so am not an expert on that process, but your entry in the 'Apply these tags' section doesn't look like any of the examples quoted in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tag_on_Import.

Does "Filename (path):\\192.168.0.124\DriveD2\Music\[Artist]\[Album]" actually move your imported media files to that new location?

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

it does, it moves it to the music folder takes the artist in question put its in that artist folder and then put its from the album tag...

ie. if i have a folder in completed called iron maiden and a sub folder fear of the dark (artist and album) when i run the import it imports this folder to database then moves it to the iron maiden folder in the music folder and then puts fear of the dark as sub folder

kritike24

• Junior Woodchuck

I guess what i am looking for is the same idea, in a simpler manner possibly..... but the other issue is some of the files from the completed folders' sub folders mp3s or flacs dont transfer over....

i would like to do everything i am doing now but all in jriver in one shot. basically able to import music from a folder do all the tagging in jriver and then transfer to the folders.... unless i do this i make new folders like the scheme i have now. so i have 4 folders where the final files move to after being tagged and transferred by jriver. they are greek music, music, flac music, and flac greek.

maybe going forward i should keep those as is and make 4 more with the same names but with new, put all the new music in the folder it matches and then just tag in jriver and not worry about moving files to those original folders?

i got very used to keeping things organized, where follows as this folder-artist-album-track....so for me to now just have all this new music thrown in a folder (even though it will be organized as i want within jriver) is throwing me off.

any feedback is greatly appreciated. also, i use mp3tag to remove all the tags on mp3s so it is just id3v2.3 the flac files i leave as is and just make changes to the artist genre etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up