INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDM Driver & Tidal  (Read 16206 times)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
WDM Driver & Tidal
« on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:00 am »

Hello

We played with the buffer sizes, but still there are clicks and pops.
I tend to believe this is a bug in WDM driver of some sort..

What do you think?

Michael

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re: WDM Driver & Tidal
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:44:43 am »

There are some of us that cannot get clean playback from the wdm driver no matter what. It must be something to do with our specific hw/sw and the way the wdm works with it as the MC team has not been able to replicate our issues afaik.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:46:20 am »

It is called a bug :)

I can/I want working with the MC team to resolve this!!

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 02:56:13 pm »

It is called a bug :)

I can/I want working with the MC team to resolve this!!

I think it would be close to impossible for a JRiver person to respond without more information.

If I may offer a couple of suggestions ?

- Make sure your DAC and system drivers are up to date.

- In one zone (probably the default one "player") get your local audio to run like you like first. If you have a complex system with multiple clients -- set this up on the PC running media server first to your stereo. Afterwards don't touch the latency or buffer settings. Normally just use the recommended settings for these.

- Then, make a separate zone for WDM streaming and configure it separately. The buffer and latency will be different almost always. If you plan to stream video you should have a sync video to help. (there are few posted in the main thread).

Try and give a detailed description of your system and how you connect your devices  -- including DAC, DLNA devices, NAS. Audio Output device config (WASAPI exclusive, ASIO etc). There are so many variables - drivers- hardware-network setups, WIFI ...out there it would be impossible to make this work out of the box without some configuration or incompatibility issues with some hardware. Especially if you are not using JRiver as the renderer (player).

Lots of people have problems because they have not separated their local playback from their streaming playback and end up with clicking noises everywhere. And/Or have not bothered to read this before customizing their configuration http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Setup  This makes it really hard to help people, and blind suggestions could even make things worse.

Just saying its a bug won't get you much help  

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 12:02:30 am »

JRiver -> ASIO Weiss INT202
http://www.weiss.ch/products/int202-int203

Drivers could be not the latest, but they are

No video, just sound. As said, happens only when routing Tidal through JRiver' WDM

Arindelle

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:27:19 am »

JRiver -> ASIO Weiss INT202
http://www.weiss.ch/products/int202-int203

Drivers could be not the latest, but they are

No video, just sound. As said, happens only when routing Tidal through JRiver' WDM

seriously? that's detailed?

Now ask your self how is anybody to know how you configured (or mis-configured) JRiver or your OS. I spent time replying to you, make an effort in doing the same and maybe someone, other than me, will try and help you.

its not "plug and play" ... good luck

and no, I do not work for JRiver, if you are wondering

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 03:38:53 am »

Do you have a connection to R&D? (I do not see here JRiver rep..)

Audio-PC Setup: Core i7 4770T, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, ..
NAS: Synology with 4 WD Red.. All wired, no Wi-Fi

Audio Device is Weiss INT202, via its own ASIO driver.

MC 20 streaming is working fine. The issue is with the WDM

I have clicks also with the Room EQ Wizard sweep measurements signals..

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 07:12:03 am »

Do you have a connection to R&D? (I do not see here JRiver rep..)
All JRiver staff read the forum and most also write here.  I'm one.

Users like Arindelle are often more experienced at using certain parts of MC.  Nobody at JRiver has a Synology NAS or a Weiss INT202, for example.

WDM support is the same in MC21 and MC20.  Maybe a setting is different.  Buffers usually.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 07:19:54 am »

All JRiver staff read the forum and most also write here.  I'm one.

Users like Arindelle are often more experienced at using certain parts of MC.  Nobody at JRiver has a Synology NAS or a Weiss INT202, for example.

WDM support is the same in MC21 and MC20.  Maybe a setting is different.  Buffers usually.

Is there a way to debug this thing?
As said, I played with the two buffer setting mentioned in Wiki

Also tried to change the ASIO settings in Weiss Control Panel (of its driver), but
- it did not help
- I prefer not to change the settings there, as the problems are just around the streaming through WDM driver (not just Tidal)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 06:51:17 am »

Are there other ways to use Tidal services with MC?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 07:14:35 am »

The way to debug is to substitute one component for another.

You have Tidal as a source and some sound device as an output.  Change one to something else.  See what happens.  etc.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 07:16:07 am »

I mentioned above that the same happens also with Room EQ Wizard (sweep signal generator during measurements)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 04:00:04 am »

Played today again..

What happens on certain tracks is more like a noise of needle of vynil..or distant radio station

Changed 3 settings - made them bigger, smaller.. No change.. (I stopped playback in between)

Also notable the difference in volume: Tidal playing directly to Weiss ASIO device is louder than Tidal playing via WDM (volume disabled in MC and no other processing in DSP)

Why is that??

natehansen66

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 07:13:16 am »

You can use the loopback method to play streaming sources as well. Might take some fiddling with the buffers but I can get clean playback this way. The Windows mixer will then be in play as well.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 07:16:04 am »

I would prefer to bypass Windows sound subystem..

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 08:52:23 am »

I have the same issue.

Most of the time I am unable to get repeatable good measurements with WDM and REW, though sometimes it works. The stuttering and dropouts are very easy to hear during the sweeps.

For internet radio WDM works fairly okay, with a glitch once in a while.

So, I agree, the WDM is not good enough as it is.

I mentioned above that the same happens also with Room EQ Wizard (sweep signal generator during measurements)
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 08:54:24 am »

Nice to hear I am not alone here,

dallasjustice

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 06:47:54 pm »

Is the 21 WDM different from the 20 WDM? I've noticed much smoother results streaming Spotify with 21. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »

Is the 21 WDM different from the 20 WDM? I've noticed much smoother results streaming Spotify with 21. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I haven't noticed a difference in MC 21, but I've noticed a huge difference in smoothness/pops/dropouts since switching to Win 10. Have you recently also migrated your system(s) to Win 10 by chance?

It shouldn't be surprising since the new Win10 audio stack is supposed to reduce latency by several milliseconds with no intervention from developers, but I was nonetheless impressed by the improvement in the WDM driver's behavior for me.

dallasjustice

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2015, 07:53:02 pm »

I haven't noticed a difference in MC 21, but I've noticed a huge difference in smoothness/pops/dropouts since switching to Win 10. Have you recently also migrated your system(s) to Win 10 by chance?

It shouldn't be surprising since the new Win10 audio stack is supposed to reduce latency by several milliseconds with no intervention from developers, but I was nonetheless impressed by the improvement in the WDM driver's behavior for me.

I am using 8.1. In 20 I tried every possible setting, buffer etc and couldn't get it to work without the clix others describe.

The mysterious WDM works well in 21 for me. Of course, other stuff works better now too, like TV and some video. But that's all documented.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2015, 09:50:47 pm »

I don't want to switch to Windows 10, but MC 21 I can try.. (but I did not see anything in release notes)

natehansen66

• World Citizen
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2015, 07:14:14 pm »

The clicks and pops are a bit less noticeable in W10 for me however they are still there. Upgrading to MC21 did nothing as expected.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2015, 09:59:09 pm »

With Room EQ Wizard it is clicks and pops, with Tidal it is like turntable needle noise :-(

rhallsw

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 09:09:59 pm »

Nice to hear I am not alone here,

You are definitely not alone.  I get the same clicks (they sound like a scrape to me) when streaming from Spotify or other sources with Windows 8.1.  I have my local and streaming inputs separated as recommended, and use a USB DAC as the output device.  I find that version 21 is perhaps slightly better than version 20, but the improvement is not significant.

I find that the frequency of clicks can vary widely, even in the same listening session.  On my setup, the clicks can vary from every few seconds to many minutes apart without modifying parameters, although clearly something has changed.  Do you get this wide variation as well?  It is not surprising that the development team is having trouble reproducing the fault.  I would love to know the mechanism of the clicks.

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 12:02:41 am »

It varies. With Room EQ Wizard, these are indeed pops and clicks, with Tidal more like static noise, but on certain tracks WDM works acceptable, on others however the sound resembles me the sound of turntable needle..

Arindelle

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 06:32:41 am »

It varies. With Room EQ Wizard, these are indeed pops and clicks, with Tidal more like static noise, but on certain tracks WDM works acceptable, on others however the sound resembles me the sound of turntable needle..
Hi

I thought REW was used to set-up eq files and convolution, filters etc. Which are then loaded into JRiver DSP studio -- it seems that you are running this program during normal playback?? I would think you would run REW without the WDM first. Thanks for the confirm

As for Tidal, or any streaming source really, I have set this up for 9 people (make that 10 now). And after some tweaking, I just always have gotten the WDM driver to work ... and I'm talking about cheapo laptops connected to desktop speakers to "high end" Naim and Linn systems. Only ones that I had issues with was when the st-up was not using JRiver as the renderer.  (eg. a PS audio bridge and a Linn DS - connecting the HTPC direct to the dac sorted this). Actually though,  there was a sound card system running on ASIO drivers that I had to use WASAPI to make work.

Now when I say it never has clicks or pops -- that's not really true -- sometimes this happens when the wdm zone is first invoked, but then it disappears. I only used Tidal for two months and I also tried Qubuz for two months (the later I prefer because you can fine tune the latency/buffer settings on their end so you don't have to go down as low), but once the stream is buffered it worked very well. Sometimes it happens with IMDB trailers, but I think thats a bandwidth problem on their server side. I do have some "smoothness" issues sometimes (delays, cut-outs) but this is rare and I think this is more network based or a temporary low internet debit/lag. I do not expect the sound quality to be as good as local playback there's too many variables; but it is still pretty impressive.

I'm sure there must be some hardware incompatibilities.  But generally there seem to me to be workarounds.

This is what I have done when helping friends out.

1) set-up their audio without the WDM running. (using WASAPI unless their DACs have native ASIO drivers)

2) make the WDM driver  the default in windows

3) set-up a separate zone for WDM streaming.  run one of those BBC type video sync vids to help with messing with the latency/buffering (I do this even if the person is not interested in video, I find it helps give a fast ball-park. (usually come out to between 20 and 40ms)

If I really can't get it right and I'm using ASIO, I try WASAPI.

4) set up a zone switch rule so local audio is not going to use the same latency/buffering settings

As I said, the only real problems I have seen with these completely different set-ups is when they are not using JRiver as a renderer (network streamer/players or DLNA renderers) and with some ASIO drivers.

Have I just gotten lucky?? ... I'm far from an expert!!

Or are people not setting up distinct zones for local and streaming playback? are these problems occurring only on systems that don't use JRiver as a renderer?; are these problems occurring using ASIO drivers?

There are just so many posts on this it would be nice to at least to empirically reduce the possible causes and maybe define what might be incompatible or risky

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 06:36:50 am »

I thought REW was used to set-up eq files and convolution, filters etc. Which are then loaded into JRiver DSP studio -- it seems that you are running this program during normal playback??

Does it make sense to you? I believe I did not write very silly things :(

Arindelle

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 06:40:38 am »

Does it make sense to you? I believe I did not write very silly things :(
hey, I'm just asking a question ... Without any attitude intended. I am thinking about using this for the first time I do not know the software.   ? so no it did not make sense to me

jjazdk

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:05 am »

Quote from: Arindelle
I thought REW was used to set-up eq files and convolution, filters etc. Which are then loaded into JRiver DSP studio -- it seems that you are running this program during normal playback?? I would think you would run REW without the WDM first. Thanks for the confirm

Running REW through JRiver WDM makes sense if for example you want to measure the effect of your eq, convultion, filters, etc.
I use a three-way active setup, and convolution filters, in an effort to make a speaker system that can effectively play a square wave (i.e. zero phase issues), but since the WDM driver doesn't play nicely with REW I have a hard time measuring the combined response from my speaker drivers.

Quote from: Arindelle
Or are people not setting up distinct zones for local and streaming playback? are these problems occurring only on systems that don't use JRiver as a renderer?; are these problems occurring using ASIO drivers?

I don't use distinct zones, and for now have not had a use for it. I have just one configuration that I use for everything, the WDM driver runs when I don't play local music, which makes it nice and easy (in my opinion).
Working on my 12 channel JRiver entertainment center :-)

michael123

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:49 am »

Of course I do not run REW in parallel to playback. I have VST plug-in installed in JRiver with the coefficients provided by REW. As part of the (iterative) procedure, we run sweeps signals through JRiver with the VST set up, and we measure the real effect of these coefficients.

And even this 4-8 seconds signal tone cannot be sent smoothly through WDM

[ REW is a simpler case, as I wrote the main issue is Tidal ]
Pages: [1]   Go Up