INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walk me thru "Update Database To Point To New Location"  (Read 1664 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Walk me thru "Update Database To Point To New Location"
« on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:48 am »

This weekend I will be making some major storage changes round our network and one of them involves placing a new 4TB drive in the HTPC and copying my main FLAC library to this new drive.

I am going to use Robocopy to perform the file transfer but I need some detailed help on getting MC to use this new location - instead of the libraries existing path of \\SERVER\Music.

I know it should be as simple as firing up MC on the HTPC, selecting ALL files (Currently pointing to \\SERVER\Music) and then using RM&C to "Update Database To Point to New Location" (D:\Music on the HTPC).

But when I did this on a much smaller MP3 library last week - I had a ton of path duplication and other oddities. I guess I do not understand when the internal data is changed when updating this master path. I assume MC does it during it's scan phase?

If you have done a "db pointer" change - would appreciate some guidance on how to make this quick and painless - without MC getting all confused about what is where.

Thanks in advance.

VP

blgentry

Re: Walk me thru "Update Database To Point To New Location"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:16:36 am »

But when I did this on a much smaller MP3 library last week - I had a ton of path duplication and other oddities. I guess I do not understand when the internal data is changed when updating this master path. I assume MC does it during it's scan phase?

I'm only guessing here.  But did you have auto import set to run in the background during the update?  If it imported your MOVED files and *then* you told it to update the paths of the ORIGINAL files, you'd end up with duplicates.  Just guessing.

I've only done very minor work with Update Database and it worked as I expected it to.  I've never done a massive change.  Maybe someone else has experience they can share.

Brian.

Vocalpoint

Re: Walk me thru "Update Database To Point To New Location"
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 09:34:46 am »

I'm only guessing here.  But did you have auto import set to run in the background during the update? 

Nope - all import action is manual on this workstation. I have to actually click buttons for anything to happen.

I am unsure what happened - I had about 50 albums duped up and then the rest seemed to "update" correctly. I do recall making the change (Point to new location) and then stopping it and starting again. I am sure I messed something up there. It was easy enough to fix the dupe paths

But the "big" library is 80000 tracks and I want to be sure I have all the steps in order before trying anything like that.

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up