INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metadata correction  (Read 4192 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Metadata correction
« on: September 24, 2015, 08:00:00 pm »

When I make corrections to metadata in MC20, such as Album Title, is this changing it both in the MC library and on my NAS drive, where all my music files are stored, or only in the library? If it is only changing it in the library, please recommend the best metadata programs for changing it on the NAS.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Metadata correction
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 08:46:56 pm »

not 100% sure what you mean

it will change the tags in the file.  if you want to make sure, right click the files and "update tags from library"

it doesn't change the actual name of the file (on disc), to do that you would use the rename, move, copy tool

if you are more specific, perhaps we can be as well...

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:26:49 pm »

Do you mean by "change the tags in the file" that it will change the tag "Album" in the NAS file, but if the file name includes an incorrect album name, the album name included in the file name will remain incorrect? I am data combing a large CD collection and if I want to look for an album file in the NAS drive, it would speed things up if the album had the correct name in the file. I do this for example: 1) To move an album from a wrongly named folder (Collections) to a correct folder (the artist's name), which is quickly done as a drag-and-drop in Windows. I also then change the Album Type from Multiple Artists to the artist's name in MC20. 2) To check the ripping extraction log for missing or duplicate tracks. If there is a better way to do these things, please advise.

I just right-clicked both a NAS file in Windows and the same file in MC20 and didn't see the option to "update tags from library" in either place.

I looked in the MC20 Tools menu and couldn't find "rename, move, copy" tool. Please tell me where to locate it and if possible, a link explaining how to use it.

As you may have guessed by now, I am pretty new to MC20 and computer music servers. I am very good with a/v equipment system design and installation, but not so good with computer operations.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:28:28 pm »

I just found " rename, move, copy" tool under library tools.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:35:01 pm »

Just found "update tags from library" in Library tools. If I select it here, will it do the entire library or just the album(s) that happen(s) to be showing in the main window on the right side of MC20?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:22:00 am »

ferday, I found this link very helpful re updating tags & library. It clearly discusses the automatic settings and why you would use them. But my question about doing a manual update still stands. I found that when I sometimes chose Library Tools to get to "update tags from library", it said "No files selected." I then highlight a track or all tracks on an album and it could then do the update, implying that it only did it for what I highlighted. But I don't know if it is also looking at more than what I highlighted.

So one question is how to tell it manually to update all tags from library.

I see that the default in my MC20 setup was to have both those options check-marked. How often does MC20 update tags/update library automatically?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:39:36 am »

Just found "update tags from library" in Library tools. If I select it here, will it do the entire library or just the album(s) that happen(s) to be showing in the main window on the right side of MC20?
It does whatever you have selected when you begin.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 08:06:24 am »

Tuneup,

First, details on when tags are updated:  As far as I know, tags are updated when you change them in MC's Library.  As long as the option is checked to make this happen, it happens as you change them.  Change an Artist's name in the library and seconds later MC will write that change to the tags.  The "master switch" to enable/disable this is at:  Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes.

You can do this manually with Library Tools > Update Tags (from library), as you have discovered.  *That* tool, as with almost every MC tool, operates on the FILES YOU HAVE SELECTED at the time.  If you want to update the whole library, you'll need to select all of your files in a view that can show all of them.

Rename, Move, and Copy is a powerful tool that does several different types of jobs.  I recommend that you do some combination of playing with it and reading through the long (but good) wiki article on it.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

One of the things it's designed to do, is to let you rename ALL of your media files to a consistent naming convention.  You build a template of what metadata is used in what places in the file and directory names, then tell it to run, and it renames your files appropriately.  This tool also operates on the files you have SELECTED, when you open the tool.  Which is very convenient actually.  :)  I recommend you do some experiments with small groups of files to figure out how it works, and build a template that works for you.  Then run it in batches.  Make sure to account for things like Multiple Artists albums and (importantly) multi-disc albums.  Figure out how you will name files from multiple discs in the same album.

Oh, and read up on the "move all files in directory" option.  You probably want to use that.

Good luck to you!

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 11:16:37 am »

Hey tuneup, got busy with less important things like work.  Sounds like you're in good hands now

But yes, MC updates tags (on your NAS) when you change them in the library.  It's essentially instant (as long as you have those boxes checked, which as you noticed are default on)

If I do a very large tagging operation, I'll often select all files and "update from library", as a piece of mind type of thing

MC is in my opinion the best software out there to move your files into a directory structure using the RMC tool, but it depends on your tags being correct (at least the ones you choose for the folder template!). As the very wise other posters have mentioned, go slow, do a bit at a time first so you see what's going to happen then you can make the plunge to do thousands at once

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 12:11:16 pm »

Thank you all!!!  :D I will dig into this and experiment as suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up