INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide: Chapterfy (Particlise Anything - aka Manage Music Videos Like CDs)  (Read 42258 times)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Guide: Chapterfy (Particlise Anything - aka Manage Music Videos Like CDs)
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2015, 08:29:24 am »

Last night I used Chapterfy for around 22 Blu-ray Concerts. I've gotten to where it only takes a minute to do the entire process, if the data is in chapterdb.org. If it isn't, I created the chapters from the MPLS and will go back later and edit.

If no data is found in chapterdb.org, I get an error "404 - processed failed" message. Closing that brings up the option to created chapters from the MPLS. There is a typo on that window. See attached.

I made the read MPLS function as a fall-back when getting info from ChatperDB fails to provide a hit.  It is easy to add to the MC Menu if you think it is useful as a standalone call?
I can just access with the MC Menu by just selecting Chapterfy so it probably doesn't need a standalone call.

I think it would look smoother if the fallback went straight to the attached MPLS dialogue box rather than showing the 404 error.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »

Sounds good!  Also
- I can make the 404 error handling more user friendly (but I left it as it was so I could "see" what chapterDB was saying!)
- Out of the 22 how many did not have ChapterDB Info? (I'm wondering if it is worth me adding the feature to upload to ChapterDB from MC once tagged)
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2015, 09:01:55 pm »

One Tip : If all your Thumbnails are the same you can select all your tracks and do a "Right Click --> Rebuild Thumbnail" and then you will get a individual Thumbnails from each track (instead of all the same ones from the beginning of the Album).
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2015, 09:13:49 pm »

I also had issues with MC "changing" the filename on the Chapters for Ghost Stories by Coldplay.  After Chapterfy'ing they were all correctly:

"....\BDMV\PLAYLIST\01001.mpls"

Then after a few seconds they were "changed" to:
Track 1 : "....\BDMV\PLAYLIST\01001.mpls"
Track 2 : "....\BDMV\PLAYLIST\02002.mpls"
Track 3 : "....\BDMV\PLAYLIST\03003.mpls"
etc

No idea what was causing it and I did not see this on the other BDs I just Chapterfy'ed.   
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

Hi Nathan,

I'm just going down this path for the first time and got chapterfy working from within MC.

Can this tool also help to create particles for MKV rips too in a manual process?
I'm not sure how this should be done or if it will even do MKV RIPS at all.

I'm just ripping a disc to bdmv structure to try out the auto feature but I'm not sure I want to go down the folder/structure path for file compatibility reasons.

PS.
I got the ChapterDB option to work by entering in the id of the disc but got a 404 error when trying to do an auto chapterfy on the main MPLS for the disc.
It's the Phil Collins live in montreux disc.

blgentry

Because I run MC on a Mac, I can't try this utility.  Darn.  MrC's scripts for making chapters only work on BDs and I have music videos on from DVD.  Darn again.

But I've also realized how limited particles are.  I don't mean this in a dismissive way.  I just mean that they are somewhat painful to manage, especially if your environment isn't set in stone, in terms of disk layout.  They apparently don't move correctly and require special treatment.

So, for now, I'm breaking Music DVDs into chapters using MKVToolNix GUI, which works very quickly and rather easily.  Naming each chapter is more time consuming of course; but it's not too bad.  Once it's done, it's done and there are no special considerations; the are files and they act just like any kind of file.

I might feel differently if I had many music DVDs.  As it is I only have a handful.  Just offering a different perspective.  :)

Brian.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Unfortunaly I'm away with work but will re-check on the W'End.  It should particalise anything (incuding MKV) either manually or by a Chapter file (either one you have, or directly from ChapterDB).  Is the 404 from MC or ChatperDB?
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

FYI - Just tested on a MKV and it all worked fine for me.  Do you have any more info?
JRiver CEO Elect

Hilton

FYI - Just tested on a MKV and it all worked fine for me.  Do you have any more info?

Never mind I got it to work. The instructions aren't detailed enough to explain how to use it on MKV or other filetypes other than your bluray mpls files.

To use it on a MKV the mkv file obviously needs to have the chapter markers embedded in it. (or any other filetype with chapter markers)
You search for the movie in chapterdb.org and make sure the duration and chapter count matches your file.
You download the chapterdb file as a TXT file.

Then presuming that chapterfy has been installed in MC "send to" external tools...

You then rightclick on the movie you want to create stacks for and select send to external - Chapterfy (this is the manual one that works on all file types)
You then click readchapterfile and load the chapter txt file you downloaded earlier.
Click ok
Review the chapter file which pops up in notedpad. Make any changes you want or just close it.
Click yes on chapterfy dialogue that pops up.
After a few seconds the movie in MC will show the stacks marker in the top right corner.

You can now right click on the movie and select stacks>expand stacks...  to select individual chapters

TaDa!!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

There is only one thing worse than my doco..... notes in my code!  Glad you got it working :)
JRiver CEO Elect

elee532

• Recent member

Can someone clarify the setup process for this?

• I downloaded MC_Chapterfy 151130.zip.
    I unzipped and ran MC_Chapterfy.exe
    I entered 192.168.2.8:52199
    I left MSWS username and password blank (I don't think I have passwords setup)
    I clicked TEST and got the message MediaCenter not found

How can I confirm that I am using the correct Server, Port, Username, and Password? Where would I find these settings?

Is there anything else I needed to do first before running MC_Chapterfy.exe? Does it matter where I am running the MC_Chapterfy.exe file from?

Thanks!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

If MC is running on the same PC as Chapterfy, then you can just use:
IP Address: 127.0.0.1  (this is a "loopback" IP Address)
Port: 52199 (this is the default port used by MC but you can check it in Tools--> Options--> Media Network--> Advanced--> TCP Port).

To check if you are using Authentication have a look at Tools--> Options--> Media Network--> Authentication (Check Box for ON/OFF)

Another way to test your connection is to just paste "127.0.0.1:52199" in a web browser address bar and see it it connects to MC.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

Update: 15AUG16

Update to support MC22 (or any recent version) and add a "Bulk" particle creation option.

Notes on Changes:
- During inital setup, you can specify what version of MC you are using (to add the Capterfy menu options to the correct version of MC)
- Added a Bulk Particle creation option where you can specify the # of particles to be created for all (one or many) items selected in MC.  You can then edit the Meta Data as required.
JRiver CEO Elect

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen

(...)

Notes, Limitations, Future Stuff: 

- I'm hoping that one day MC will support chapter side car files for displaying chapter names in the MC Menu during playback (instead of Chatper 1, 2 etc) but that is up to JR

The chapter names ARE ALREADY displayed by MC during playback in the OSD or in the "jump to" chapter list when the chapters have been named when doing a mkv !!

Don't get me wrong particles are cool (as long as chapter.org holds the accurate info) but if not renaming the chapters in make MKV is much more fast and straightforward. The chapters are automatically delimited and there is no need to enter playback ranges. Also in MC we keep one file entry in the library and not stacks of dozen particles.

Just my five cents

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Don't get me wrong particles are cool (as long as chapter.org holds the accurate info) but if not renaming the chapters in make MKV is much more fast and straightforward. The chapters are automatically delimited and there is no need to enter playback ranges. Also in MC we keep one file entry in the library and not stacks of dozen particles.
The subject says "Manage Music Videos Like CDs." This means being able to select a single song on a concert Blu-ray and add it to a playlist, rip to a flash drive, or burn to a CD. To do that requires an entry for each song - just like a CD. A single MKV file and single database entry doesn't work.

In Theater View, I can select whether I want the entire concert or just a song.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

I'm going to close this thread, as future updates will be part of MC Tool Box
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up