INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Program Descriptions are Truncated  (Read 4905 times)

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
TV Program Descriptions are Truncated
« on: October 01, 2015, 01:43:54 pm »

Have noticed that many TV Program Descriptions are truncated (cut off at the end).

The TV "All Programs", "To be Recorded" & "Recordings" windows all have the same problem... the header can't be expanded wide enough to show all of the Descriptive text.  As a result the same text is also truncated in the TV Description dialog at the bottom of the TV Standard screen.

In Theater View it is NOT truncated but IS truncated if you click on the channel number.

Can this be fixed?
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

DocLotus

Re: TV Program Descriptions are Truncated
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:07 pm »

I've also noticed that a few Descriptions do not wrap to multiple lines of text but will go all the way across the screen from the far left edge to the far right edge of the screen in a SINGLE LINE (no wrapping).
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:10:42 pm »

It looks like recent EPG change by Microsoft resulted in description being much longer than before.

There are two ways to see the complete description:

In standard view, point mouse cursor at the description.  A popup shows the entire text.  The only trouble is there is another smaller popup covering part of it :(

In theater view, select the program and then click the description text area.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 03:40:13 pm »

It looks like recent EPG change by Microsoft resulted in description being much longer than before.

There are two ways to see the complete description:

In standard view, point mouse cursor at the description.  A popup shows the entire text.  The only trouble is there is another smaller popup covering part of it :(

In theater view, select the program and then click the description text area.

Yes, I've noticed that MS Rovi EPG data is often as much as TWICE as long as Schedules Direct EPG data. The extra MS Rovi data is often made up of a long list of actors & actresses that seem to go on forever. But often the extra data is good, need to know information about the program so it is all needed.

As a side note... I've also noticed that more channels are covered with MS Rovi then they were with SD.  SD sometimes left a channel blank with no EPG data.

I do like MS Rovi better for the channel coverage & the extra data (except for those long strings of actors & actresses).

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 06:23:10 am »

In Standard View the Description window at the bottom of the TV program screen needs to...

1: Expand it's height to accommodate at least two more lines of text, or better yet, let it expand on an as-need basis to always use all text in the description.
2: Change background from transparent to completely black... REASON: the current transparent background is very irritating & distracting when the TV program has a very lightly colored background or the background keeps changing color (such as those maddening Rooms To Go commercials & many others). It is VERY hard to read the program description when the description background keeps flashing & changing color. I've noticed that MS WMC TV uses a completly black program description background & is MUCH easier on the eyes.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 06:53:51 pm »

In Standard View the Description window at the bottom of the TV program screen needs to...

I don't know what you mean here. Could you post a screen capture of what you are seeing?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:30:38 pm »

I don't know what you mean here. Could you post a screen capture of what you are seeing?

I wondered about that too.  There is no description below the guide data.

Doc, what skin are you using?  The color of your screen shots is not familiar.

DocLotus

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:01:58 pm »

Sure...
Description Background 01 & 02... have TV channels running with very light backgrounds which bleeds through to the Description window.

Description Background 03... has a TV channel running with a black backgrounds which is MUCH easier on the eyes as it does not cause a light color bleed through to the Description window.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:45 pm »

Ah, you are talking about on screen display.  That has nothing to do with Standard view.  That was what confused me.  If you start playing a video in Theater view, you will get to the same Display view too, with on screen display showing up when you press the info button on remote or 'D' on keyboard (for program info), or up or down arrow (for other info).

DocLotus

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2015, 09:07:44 pm »

Doc, what skin are you using?  The color of your screen shots is not familiar.

ThunderStorm with custom coloring.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2015, 09:19:29 pm »

Sure...

Ah, you are talking about on screen display.  That has nothing to do with Standard view.  That was what confused me.  
Me too. I don't consider Display View, which is what is displayed when media is played, to be part of Standard View.

If you start playing a video in Theater view, you will get to the same Display view too, with on screen display showing up when you press up or down arrow.
Minor point: When you press the Info button on the remote, or the keyboard equivalent, "D". Description isn't displayed using the arrow keys.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DocLotus

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2015, 09:57:23 pm »

Ah, you are talking about on screen display.  That has nothing to do with Standard view.  That was what confused me.  If you start playing a video in Theater view, you will get to the same Display view too, with on screen display showing up when you press up or down arrow.

Not Theater view, Standard view.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2015, 10:47:28 pm »

Well its all sort of terminology, but they are all separate components of MC.

Not Standard View, Display View, displayed inside Standard View.

If you press Ctrl+6 when showing a program as you are in that image, the display will detach, and what you are seeing then is Display View.

Which is what is displayed in Theatre View as well, when you play video. That is what Yaobing said.

DocLotus

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 04:38:22 am »

Well its all sort of terminology, but they are all separate components of MC.

Not Standard View, Display View, displayed inside Standard View.

If you press Ctrl+6 when showing a program as you are in that image, the display will detach, and what you are seeing then is Display View.

Which is what is displayed in Theatre View as well, when you play video. That is what Yaobing said.

I agree; Display View it is.

After reading Yaobing's last post I brought up the TV screen in Theater View and pressed "D" several times & discovered what you are saying to be true; I could cycle through the Description windows at the bottom of the TV image screen. As I don't use Theater View much at all I always just assumed there were separate windows as so much of Theater View is different from Standard View.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 06:40:26 am »

Minor point: When you press the Info button on the remote, or the keyboard equivalent, "D". Description isn't displayed using the arrow keys.

I stand corrected.

DocLotus

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 12:41:18 pm »

In Display View the Description window at the bottom of the TV program screen needs to...

2: Change background from transparent to completely black... REASON: the current transparent background is very irritating & distracting when the TV program has a very lightly colored background or the background keeps changing color (such as those maddening Rooms To Go commercials & many others). It is VERY hard to read the program description when the description background keeps flashing & changing color. I've noticed that MS WMC TV uses a completly black program description background & is MUCH easier on the eyes.

This is simply amazing... ask a question & you shall get an answer (even though it is self serving ::))

Just found a way (already built into MC Options) to get a FULLY BLACK TV Description background.

Go to MC's Tools\Options\General at the very bottom of the screen, expand the Advanced menu item & click on the 3rd item from the bottom (Popup transparency mode) & select Disable from the popup menu.

This works like a charm for me & am VERY happy to find that one little tidbit.

My eyes are rejoicing...  8)

Cheers  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up