INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using Dante Virtual Sound Card for mutiple simultaneous zone playback  (Read 3008 times)

JBondoux

Hi,

I am trying to use the Dante Virtual Soundcard to output 6 channels of distinct audio from a PC.  I create three zones, each outputting to two Dante channels (left & right).  I also set the output to ensure they are all playing at the same sample rate, 48K.

Any one of the playlists play back fine and the Dante network will route that audio accordingly, however, as soon as I start a second playlist on another zone I get the following error:

Something went wrong with playback.
Details:
Playback could not be started on the output 'ASIO' using '48KHz 2ch'.
This output format may not be supported by your hardware.  You can use DSP Studio to change the output to a compatible format.
Also, make sure that your system has a valid sound playback device and that it is properly configured in playback options.

Now if I stop the first zone playback and start the second (the one that created the message) it plays fine and I can then route through the network as expected.

The Virtual Soundcard has a configuration setting to allow up to 8 channels of audio to be sent & received by it, within the settings you are to choose a sample rate that matches the rest of the hardware on the network (in this case 48K).

Has anyone have any experience with this and have been successful in getting it to work?

Many thanks.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using Dante Virtual Sound Card for mutiple simultaneous zone playback
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 06:20:06 am »

I'm just fishing here, as I do not have any experience with Dante ... but you mention using three zones, and this is a pretty generic error message.  This can happen when you have playback (or music cued sometimes) in one zone and you shift to another zone.

You can test this by looking at the overview under playing now and see what is marked "Current". Manually click on the stop button (or even clear playing now list in the zone).

If this has something to do with it, you can make zone switch rules to automatically stop playback in one zone, when another is playing.

Of course this may have nothing to do with your issue! For all 6 channels to playback at once they normally have to be in one zone (unless they are linked, and that would introduce other latency issues to compensate for I think. But as I said I have no idea how to use a vritual sound card in this way -- at least it serves to bump your post  :D good luck

PS - 48K sample rate is a pretty strange general setting -- this might have something to do with it too?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Using Dante Virtual Sound Card for mutiple simultaneous zone playback
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:56:47 am »

It's likely that the issue you're seeing is that most ASIO drivers are not "multi-client" meaning that when a program opens the ASIO driver it receives exclusive access.  Attempts to open another session or start playback a second time will fail.  That's why you're getting the error when you try to start playback in the other zones.  

Unfortunately MC isn't "smart" enough to recognize that it's own other zone is what has the ASIO device occupied and just seamlessly route channels, it just starts fresh as though it were opening a new session.

Steinberg has published a multi-client ASIO wrapper that works with many different ASIO drivers (not just Steinberg devices, which are mostly multi-client already).  Many forum users have used it to overcome the exact issue you're seeing.  

You can find it here: https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=48

Forum user mojave has more expertise on this particular issue, so maybe he'll chime in (although I think he's out of town this weekend).
Pages: [1]   Go Up