INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST: Shared/Linked playlists  (Read 1514 times)

fourkidsco

• Recent member
FEATURE REQUEST: Shared/Linked playlists
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:03:45 pm »

I am not sure if this is the right place for this kind of suggestion...seems to me there was a pinned thread for this at one point but I can't find it.

So let me 'splain:

I have a number of devices I sync with JRiver, all with varying storage sizes and different uses.

I have made playlist groups and put playlists in each group based on the size of the device and what kinds of things I would put on the device to begin with.

Right now if I want the same playlist on different devices I either have to go to a "pool" of playlists or make a copy and put it in the correct playlist group.

What I would LIKE to do is create one version of a playlist that resides in 1 or more playlist groups.  Edits to the playlist would show up in all of the different locations.

This was like the first thing I tried to do with JRiver a couple of years ago when I first bought it....figured it was about time to ask for the feature!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Shared/Linked playlists
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 03:01:14 pm »

You can definitely get this functionality, but it's not built in, and it does require a bit of work.

Smartlists can contain other playlists or smarlists defined by the rules of the smartlist.

So for example you could have:

- Master Group/List 1:  This is a regular playlist.  Or it could be a smartlist.

- Group 1/List 1:  This is a smartlist with a rule that says "Playlists is any Master Group/List 1".
- Group 2/List 1:  Another smartlist exactly the same as the above.

So now when ever you make any changes to Master Group/List 1, the others are updated accordingly.

Once you set that up, it should be pretty easy to maintain.

Brian.

fourkidsco

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 04:25:50 pm »

OK, so I tried this and it works....thanks for this because it will help me out.

It would still be nice to have a more formal link process if for no other reason than to have the "linked" version of the playlist marked with something in the OSD (like a different color icon/different icon) so that I could tell that the one I was looking at was the linked playlist.

You might say "add some text to your playlist name..."  which is fine except I don't really want that to show up on the device. 

Picky, I know.

Just a thought....I can make this work, just wish there was something to make it clear it was a linked list.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »

Not sure if this helps, but smarlists show up in yellow, while regular playlists show as blue.

I'm glad you at least found the technique to be workable.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up