INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Explorer in Windows 10  (Read 69810 times)

chris635

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Crashing windows ten suspended apps
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2016, 10:32:39 am »

I have also updated to the latest..same thing happens.

chris635

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2016, 10:39:55 am »

For reference. While running jriver media..after about an hour, the start menu will not open (searchui in a suspended state as it is supposed to be). I have to restart explorer to get it to work again, then it is only a matter time before it will happen all over again. If I uninstall jriver the problem doesn't exist.

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2016, 11:02:10 am »

For reference. While running jriver media..after about an hour, the start menu will not open (searchui in a suspended state as it is supposed to be). I have to restart explorer to get it to work again, then it is only a matter time before it will happen all over again. If I uninstall jriver the problem doesn't exist.
im actually seeing this too for a while now, the disappearance of the start menu and also action center... may i ask what your videocard is? because i did blame nvidia :) but i did not yet look into it much, since i start up the few programs i use from the desktop..

:)
gab

chris635

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2016, 11:57:18 am »

im actually seeing this too for a while now, the disappearance of the start menu and also action center... may i ask what your videocard is? because i did blame nvidia :) but i did not yet look into it much, since i start up the few programs i use from the desktop..

:)
gab

Using nvidia. So I am also using process lasso. I can set it up to restart apps, most importantly searchui and shellhostexperience every 15 minutes (does it in the background..you will not notice it)to help mitigate the problem. For some reason with windows 10, anything that uses the app container for applications does not want to play well with jriver media.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Problem with Explorer in Windows 10
« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:29 am »

I've been having all sorts of similar problems which seemed to repeatedly surface after I watched video (using ROHQ).
I have a Nvidia 970m.

What finally seems to have fixed it is a VBIOS update from Nvidia. This is not a driver update, but an update for the bios on your discrete video card/adapter.

I got mine from my laptop manufacturer, but I understand you can request from Nvidia. They include an installation bat file that has to run in an Admin CMD window.

Hope this helps.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2016, 07:19:02 am »

Not sure if this helps but I've been running Classic Shell for my Start button ever since I upgraded to Win 10 about a month or so after it was officially released.

I don't recall having experienced the issue described in this thread. May be entirely unrelated. Or I may be have been lucky but I've got 3 separate Windows machines with MC installed, so I'm not talking about a one off.

Dunno. I'm just glad I missed this bit of M$ aggravation.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

stewart_pk

« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2016, 12:35:06 am »

I have the same problem on my HTPC too. I have an AMD ATI video card.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2016, 02:15:54 pm »

I don't know that this helps at all, but I had this issue return on two of my systems recently, neither of which turned out to have anything to do with software at all (I believe).

On my laptop's Windows 10 VM, which had previously been pretty robust and this issue was rare (even before Microsoft's fixes), it happened two times last Tuesday. MC is installed in the VM, but was not running at the time, and hadn't been any time recently, nor had Steam or any other common culprit applications. However... Soon thereafter, the whole computer brain hemorrhaged and the filesystem broke itself (HFS+ is a bag of hurt) to the point where the computer wouldn't boot anymore (so I couldn't even get to the VM itself).

It has been fine since I repaired that bit of awesome.

Then, this past weekend, I saw it two times on my main server when I was getting it set back up after my move.

In this case, though, I was also having trouble with the whole PC shutting itself down randomly. I finally, on Sunday morning, traced this to a failing video card (I think the card itself was fine, but the caked-on dirt in the fans had shaken itself loose during the moving, and now the card wasn't cooling itself properly anymore). Once I swapped the card out, both the explorer.exe crashes and the sudden shutdowns ceased.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2016, 02:26:41 pm »

One other thing (and apologies in advance, if this has been mentioned), but I suggest running SFC /scannow in an admin console window. If there are any errors that couldn't be fixed, you'll need to run DISM and have access to an image. The Microsoft Media Creation tool will *NOT* supply you with an image in the format that DISM needs. If anyone is interested I can supply the MS link for the correct file, when I get online later tonight.

My system is certainly more stable since running DISM and installing the new Nvidia vbios.

NOTE: there is a known bug in SFC re: a file named Opencli.exe (or something similar - maybe it's opencll.exe). It's in the queue to be fixed, but if that is your error, don't worry - no need to fix.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2016, 02:46:48 am »

Has this, perhaps, been fixed in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?

I have the Anniversary Update installed on one computer. Been playing Media Center 21 today and haven't had any problems with the Start menu. Maybe Microsoft has fixed the problem?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2016, 02:52:04 am »

There are at least two threads on this Microsoft problem, so I'm locking this one.

Please read this thread:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=106170.msg739617#msg739617
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up