INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best solution to switch between 2 DAC's  (Read 3182 times)

bigbwb

• Junior Woodchuck
Best solution to switch between 2 DAC's
« on: October 12, 2015, 09:58:37 pm »

Hey guys,
I will be adding a 2nd DAC to my JRiver music pc setup.  One DAC handles 2ch playback while the new one will be for Multi channel playback (concert tracks in surround, DVD-A, SACD tracks etc).  I know there is an easy way to configure JRiver to switch sources but cannot figure it out.  I have a separate playlist just for multi channel material.  I also use the JRemote on my iPhone so whatever can be done to make the switch as painless as possible. 

Suggestions please:)

Thanks!
Brandon

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Best solution to switch between 2 DAC's
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 10:27:59 pm »

Create a new Zone and set Audio > Output device to the DAC for the multi-channel output. You can also set rules for automatic switching using ZoneSwitch.

You can select each Zone in JRemote.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:28:29 pm »

Zone switch

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

You don't even need separate playlists, just tell the zone to automatically switch when channels>2

bigbwb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:34 pm »

Thanks!  I will give these a try when i return home.

wer

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:26:05 pm »

I'm curious bigbwb, how are you getting around the problem of having two separate physical outputs, in terms of which one your receiver is monitoring?   Are you using an hardware autoswitch of some sort, or once you have JRiver automatically switch to the different output, do you then have to press a button on your receiver to get it to monitor the new input?

bigbwb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:11:38 pm »

I'm curious bigbwb, how are you getting around the problem of having two separate physical outputs, in terms of which one your receiver is monitoring?   Are you using an hardware autoswitch of some sort, or once you have JRiver automatically switch to the different output, do you then have to press a button on your receiver to get it to monitor the new input?

Well its a bit complicated.  I have two seperate DACs one for 2ch and a new one for Multi channel.  I use a CAPS type music server PC running windows 10 with both DACs connected to it via separate USB connections.  My preamp is a Parasound P7 which accepts Multi channel and stereo analog sources hence the ability to use both DACs.  So when playing the different types of music (surround vs stereo) its as simple as switching the input on the Parasound preamp and then using JRiver to switch the source (DAC). 

This allows me to play any type of music through the P7 coming from my music pc.

wer

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:33:53 pm »

I figured it was something like that.  ;D I thought about doing something similar myself but wanted to avoid manually switching.  It's nice to encounter another Parasound owner here though.  I have a pair of JC1 monoblocks for the front and an A23 for the rear channels.  They make nice gear.

bigbwb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:45:50 pm »

I figured it was something like that.  ;D I thought about doing something similar myself but wanted to avoid manually switching.  It's nice to encounter another Parasound owner here though.  I have a pair of JC1 monoblocks for the front and an A23 for the rear channels.  They make nice gear.

No manual switching if everything works as planned:)  Hopefully just hitting a input button on the remote and thats it!

Im jealous of your amps.....the JC1's are about as good as one can get.......I "only" have an A21 powering my fronts;).  I use their ZDAC as well.  All nice stuff though!

Take care,
Brandon
Pages: [1]   Go Up