INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC20 and 21 won't import or play new videos but MC 19 will  (Read 3247 times)

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
MC20 and 21 won't import or play new videos but MC 19 will
« on: October 17, 2015, 10:59:02 am »

Hi,

In a previous post I reported a problem where I upgraded to MC20 and tried importing some photos which wouldn't work throwing an unsupported media type error. I posted my issue here but found a simple reboot resolved it. I thought that would be the end of it but it isn't. It won't import new videos or play any video that isn't already in it's database. These videos play fine in other media players including MC19. I rebooted several times, no relief. I tried mp4 and mkv with the same result. If I try to play the file I get this message; "Playback Failed the media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)" I saw that MC21.0.15 was available and since I had paid for that version I installed it but it exhibits the same hehavior.

Oddly it will play any video file already in it's database.

As a side suggestion you should allow people to paste these errors to the clipboard. It would be simple to program and a nice convenience for people who are most likely irked over the error.

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC20 and 21 won't import or play new videos but MC 19 will
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:42:11 am »

I tried mp4 and mkv with the same result. If I try to play the file I get this message; "Playback Failed the media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)"

Hmm, interesting.  Do these files have extensions like .MP4, .M4V, .MKV, etc?  That error would seem to indicate that MC doesn't know what file type they are.  Try looking at the detailed tags for one or two of these files.  Select a file and press alt-enter (or edit > tag).  Then show all tags and find the "file type" tag.  Does it's type seem to match the kind of file that it is?  If it doesn't, you can edit it's file type.  But I would wonder why it's file type was wrong or missing.  Which is why I asked about extensions above.

Have you tried playing these files with File > Open Media File ?  Finally, do these files play with other players like VLC?

Brian.

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:46:03 am »

Thanks for being so quick to respond.

I tried using File > Open Media File. I get the same result.

I can play any file regardless of file extension if the file is already imported. I can right click and select MC19 and play these files. I can also play them with Windows Media Player.

The file extensions are the typical extensions, ie; *.mkv.

The file type associations look right.

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 09:21:42 am »

Bump

I would really like to know whats going on here. It's running on a vanilla installation of Windows 7. It is an i3 processor with 8gb of Ram. It has 4 3tb data drives. The system drive is a 128gb solid state drive. It has Media Center 19, 20, and 21 installed.

I'll reiterate...

The issue:
1. Neither Media Center 20 or 21 will import new files. No error thrown. It just doesn't work.
2. Neither Media Center 20 or 21 will play any file that was not imported from Media Center 19 during install. 

The Analysis:
1. Neither Media Center 20 or 21 will play any file that it doesn't already have in it's data base regardless of file type.
2. Media Center 19 will play and import these files.
3. Windows media player will play these files just fine.
4. There is nothing wrong with the file type associations.
5. There are no Windows generated errors.
6. When trying to play a file not in it's database the application presents an error in a message box "Playback Failed the media types of the selected files are not supported for playback. (<none>)"

Media Center 19 had issues playing some of my concert videos. This issue appears to be resolved in MC20 nd MC21 but it's obviously useless to me if it can't import or play new files. Is it possible I've reached the apps max capacity and that it's ceiling is lower than that of MC19? From what I've read in other posts that is unlikely.

Does anybody know whats happening here? Can somebody please help me?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:00 am »

In your auto import settings, do you have Video checked?  (Configure auto import > (select folder) > Edit > Import these file types ).

It *might* be instructive to build a brand new library, as a test, and try importing just your video files, checking off just Video.

Brian.

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 10:45:58 am »

Hi Brian,

Video is selected as an auto import setting.

I'll give the new library option a try, thanks

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 11:09:08 am »

I created a new library and was able to import the file. So apparently there is a hard limit on the number of files in MC21.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2015, 11:12:31 am »

I'm glad you were successful.  But I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion.  I've read numerous reports of people using MC with over 500,000 files.  How many do you have?

Brian.

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 11:20:00 am »

Thats a good question. Not 500,000. Where would I find that information?

Edit: I see it, 4,407 files.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 11:26:34 am »

Honestly it sounds like your MC20/MC21 library contains some corrupted or otherwise borked settings.  How did you migrate your library from MC19 to MC21?  If you didn't try it, try doing a library backup on MC19 and a restore on MC 21 to see if that sorts it out.  That method has worked well for me across a few major versions now.

If that doesn't work, if you try re-importing your media into a completely new library it will probably work fine.  It sucks to have to setup a new library, but if you've written your tags to files it's not the end of the world (but still labor intensive).

I have about 90K files with MC21 and everything (including video) works great.  There's no hard limit (there's not even really a soft limit).  

Ash Telecaster

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 11:40:36 am »

The installation handled the migration. I don't remember if I was even prompted. I will try the back up and restore. That sounds like a great idea. Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up