INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IR Blaster on my 1850 Hauppauge talking to Rogers Digital Adapter  (Read 10626 times)

amcneish

• Recent member

I have a IR Blaster running off my 1850 Hauppauge card.. and it works well with Windows Media Center.  However to go to Windows 10 I need a product which runs on Windows 10 - JRiver Media Center.  I have purchased the product and installed it and activated the license.  I configured the card and said the IR Blaster was using port 2 (from the Haupage config utility)... 

The picture and sound work however I can not seem to change the channels...  How do I teach the IR codes which need to be set to my Rogers Set top box...  I have looked under Options/Remote...  and no joy...  I have looked all over the help pages...  no joy....

Please help!!!!

:( :(

Andy

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: IR Blaster on my 1850 Hauppauge talking to Rogers Digital Adapter
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 07:23:46 pm »

Did you run setup in MC and choose Hauppauge IR Blaster?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 08:32:55 pm »

yes.. and it shows as selected...

But there is no place to enter the codes to translate 0 to the blaster code for the Rogers Cable box...

As well as things like it needs up to three digits.. and no enter after....

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 07:45:32 am »

You need to run Hauppauge's BlastCfg program to setup codes.

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:48:16 am »

Ok...  I have tried the Blaster utility.. but it is not as friendly as the Windows Media Center and it does not seem to like the Windows IR Detector to learn the codes...

I have found out that in the Windows directory there is C:\Windows\HCWBlast.ini

In this file the codes are supposed to reside.. I believe that the JRiver Media Center needs this file populated with the correct codes..  Windows Media Center has a code table for the various cable companies/set top boxes... and so does not need this file.... 

I wonder if anyone has the JRiver software working with Rogers with a 2250/1850 card and Rogers (in Canada) and would be willing to share their C:\Windows\HCWBlast.ini file???

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 01:37:56 pm »

Ok... So I purchased the special cable from Hauppauge to help with the codes...  I was able to create the code table and populate it...  I can go into windows media center and using the IR Blaster Config program.. I can change the channels and the WMC can also change the channels...

I go into JRiver... and the picture and sound are there... but it can not change the channel... I can still use the IR Blaster config utility to change the channels...  but for recording... I need the jriver program to change the channel...

any ideas??

I am attaching the blaster config file....  I am using id=2

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 06:47:30 pm »

Have you selected the correct port number in MC?  You may try experimenting with different port numbers.

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 07:36:42 pm »

Thank you for your reply...

I am given the option under Hauppage in the Media Centre to set either 1 or 2   (In the IR Blaster utility it is set to 2)...  I have tried 1 and 2 ... both do not work...

I feel I am so close to getting this to work... 

It is frustrating as a WMC person that it was so easy in WMC ..but a bit elusive in JRiver MC...  But to solve future issues with WMC... I would like to get MC working....  Any files I could put up to help in diagnosing the issue?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:15:56 pm »

I took a look again on my computer.  The Hauppauge BlastCfg program is indeed hard to use, but I got it to work.

Initially, I tried to have it learn, but it always failed.  The instruction says it was probably due to not holding the STB remote control at correct distance.  I just could not find that correct distance. 

The scanning method turns out to work for me.  It was able to find a code set that works for my Comcast STB. 

When I tried to use it in MC it for some reason still did not work.  But After I rebooted my computer and restarted MC, it suddenly started working. 

So, at least for my devices, it is working correctly.  My HD PVR only has one blaster port.  So any attempt in MC to select a port actually does not work.  Other than that, it is fine (there is no port select, it is just port 1).

Can you try using port 1 instead of port 2 on the device?

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:58:33 pm »

Thank you for your input :) :)

I have tried IR blaster ID 1 2 and 3...  and rebooted in between each change...  It is a bit frustrating as the IR Baster utility is working (using the Hauppauge cable with the IR patch and IR Input for training..).... 

If I have the IR Blaster utility running while the MC is running.. the channel will change...  but MC does not seem to be able to change it...

I hope someone has seen this and can help me... If not I will have to give up on MC.... and it is too bad as every thing else seems to be working

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 07:37:43 pm »

Are your channels in MC initially setup to use Hauppauge IR blaster?  If not, did you change them over?  You can check this by running "Manage Channels".  Each channel should have their IR device and port values displayed in "Details".

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 08:32:22 pm »

Thank you for the idea...

I checked and it is set correctly... IR Blaster ID=2  (as it is in the IR Blaster Utility)...

Funny thing is that MC displays video and sound correctly..  understands commands from the Microsoft IR receiver....  but does not control the IR patch... 

When the video and sounds are on.. I can go into the IR Blaster utility and change the channel??

it is so frustrating as I feel I am very close to getting this working...

The Ir blaster ID in MC should equal the IR blaster utility ID  .. Is that correct???

Is there a place in WMC to go in and look at what it has set???

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 09:02:32 pm »

Would help to know that the cameras on a smart phone can see the IR signal that the IR Blaster is sending. Just open the camera App (photo or video) and the preview screen will show the IR flashes.

Using the camera you could at least confirm whether MC is able to make the Blaster send some IR signal, or not.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 09:34:55 pm »

I can see the flashes when the IR Blaster config utility sets the channel or WMC sets the channel... But MC does not set the light on the IR Patch.....

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 09:36:01 pm »

would it accomplish anything to completely de-install MC and then reinstall it???

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 10:19:51 pm »

I can see the flashes when the IR Blaster config utility sets the channel or WMC sets the channel... But MC does not set the light on the IR Patch.....

You mean with your eyes? If so what you are seeing is an LED provided to show that the Blaster is working. I guess the LED and the IR emitter are tied together so that they always operate together, and can't operate separately. Checking the IR emitter with a camera is a sure way to see if the emitter is firing though.

By the way, Yaobing asked about the Port Number you were using, and you responded that you had tried the "IR blaster ID 1 2 and 3". Are you sure those two are the same thing? I thought the Port Number would be a physical port on the back of the 1850, while the "IR blaster ID" would be a logical ID used when you are blasting to more than one device. But I don't have one of these cards so I am guessing.

PS: Reinstalling MC is unlikely to improve things. Use only as an action of last recall, when you are desperate! I don't think it would help.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 10:26:08 pm »

The IR Blaster utility will change the channels.... WMC will change the channels... MC does not change the channels...

The logical id for Hauppauge can be 1,2 (sometimes MC gives me the option for 3..)

In terms of port number on the back of the 1850 (this is only one....  )  The IR Blaster utility says it is id=2

(one thing I should mention is that MC does not call the 1850 a 1850... It calls it a 853....  )

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 10:32:58 pm »

The Hauppauge card in Windows device manager is a WinTV HVR-1850 model 85xxx combo ATSC/QAM, 888dif

in MC it is called Hauppauge WinTV 885 Capture card.....

I wonder if this is the issue....  is there a way to tell MC it is a 1850 card?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 10:33:43 pm »

(one thing I should mention is that MC does not call the 1850 a 1850... It calls it a 853....  )

Yeah, that might be kind of important critical, since it means that MC is mis-identifying the device.

Or do you mean it is identified as an 1853, which may mean that it is just a variation of the 1850?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 10:37:14 pm »

I think you will have to wait for Yaobing to answer that question. The Hauppauge web site doesn't currently list that sort of model number: http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hvr1850.html

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:12 pm »

The Hauppauge 1850 IR Blaster setup definitely shows just two ports, and it calls them Blaster Ports according to the attached image, rather than Blaster IDs. So there is a mismatch somewhere.

One thing that could be contributing to the problem is you are running WMC and MC at the same time. WMC may be holding on to the IR Blaster portion of the driver, or preventing MC from detecting it correctly.

So maybe if you;
1. In WMC, disabled the start-up of all WMC components with Windows start-up. Don't let WMC or any of its Services start when the PC starts. That includes the TV recording service which I believe starts in the background. You may need to disable TV recording to do that. I forget the details of WMC.
2. In MC, go to Option/Theatre View/Behaviour and tick the box for "Disable Windows Media Center".
3. Reboot your PC, do not start the Blaster Configuration software, go directly into MC and test the blaster functionality.

Did that make any difference, either it worked, or MC detected the 1850 correctly?

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 12:30:18 am »

I posted a reply.. but I do not see it...

The MC listed card is Hauppauge WinTV 885 ...  But in the Windows Device manager (and the card I have installed) is the WinTV HVR-1850 Model 85xxx Combo ATSC/QAM,888...  Card...

There is only one IR Blaster port for the 1850.. (There is a picture of the card on the Hauppauge site)...  the ID that the IR Blaster Configuration utility has is ID=2 (ID=1 is greyed out)...

With WMC running I can change the channel with WMC and the IR Blaster Utility (at the same time.... They will share the blaster control)...

With MC running... I can see the video/audio... and change the channel with the IR blaster utility .. but MC can not change the channel.

With the blaster....  there are two blaster devices available on my system...   (the Microsoft[which I use for the remote.. and the remote works in MC;it has two IR Blaster ports] and Hauppauge board [has only one port available on the back of the card with ID=2])....  I have selected the Hauppauge device and id=2 (as is the case in the blaster utility)

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 01:39:41 am »

I tried another experiment... I installed Hauppauge's WinTV 8 product .. and it is able to change the channels....

So....
WMC ... changes the channel
WinTV 8 changes the channel
IR Blaster Configuration utility changes the channel
MC... does not change the channel....

bummer!
 ?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 01:44:03 am »

I posted a reply.. but I do not see it...
It is there, above my post. We cross posted because I was typing slow or doing something else.

There is only one IR Blaster port for the 1850.. (There is a picture of the card on the Hauppauge site)...  the ID that the IR Blaster Configuration utility has is ID=2 (ID=1 is greyed out)...
One physical port, yes, but I thought there might be a logical port. However, looking at what was delivered with the earlier HVR-1800, it seems that the option in the software for two ports was based on two physical ports in the USB connected IR receiver/blaster.

The MC listed card is Hauppauge WinTV 885 ...  But in the Windows Device manager (and the card I have installed) is the WinTV HVR-1850 Model 85xxx Combo ATSC/QAM,888...  Card...
With WMC running I can change the channel with WMC and the IR Blaster Utility (at the same time.... They will share the blaster control)...

With MC running... I can see the video/audio... and change the channel with the IR blaster utility .. but MC can not change the channel.
All understood. Did you try completely disabling WMC as I suggested, to see if MC is then able to control the Hauppauge blaster? WMC may well be conflicting with MC. EDIT: You will want to make sure that the WinTV 8 software doesn't interfere with MC as well.

MC is probably given the lowest priority to access the Hauppauge Blaster driver/hardware, as Hauppauge tested with WMC, and the other software is their own.  Hence, there may be conflict.

With the blaster....  there are two blaster devices available on my system...   (the Microsoft[which I use for the remote.. and the remote works in MC;it has two IR Blaster ports] and Hauppauge board [has only one port available on the back of the card with ID=2])....  I have selected the Hauppauge device and id=2 (as is the case in the blaster utility)
As you have three Blaster ports in total on your PC, that may be why MC sometimes offers three ports/IDs. There could even be some conflict between the two hardware sets, Microsoft and Hauppauge.

Are you able to disable the blaster ports on the Microsoft device, without disabling the IR receiver?

Or, do you have the hardware to use the Microsoft blaster instead of the Hauppauge? If so, you might want to try using that instead. It may work without these difficulties.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 08:46:43 am »

The Hauppauge card in Windows device manager is a WinTV HVR-1850 model 85xxx combo ATSC/QAM, 888dif

in MC it is called Hauppauge WinTV 885 Capture card.....

The device name and the device's internal name are often different.  That does not matter.

The fact that MC can show audio and video indicates that MC is loading the correct tuner (assuming that you do not have another device that capture from the same source).

The IR blaster on Hauppauge devices are controlled with a completely different module that is independent of the ability to play audio and video from the device.  So the question is just why MC is not controlling the IR blaster.

When you said that you tried all ports, how did you do it?  Did you completely re-run setup after deleting all channels?  Or did you just re-configure the profiles?  If you did just the latter, you need to make sure you make corresponding changes on each channel.

I am puzzled at why BlastCfg program has IR port selection disabled yet the selection is port 2.  Do you have another Hauppauge device on the same computer?
Pages: [1]   Go Up