INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with "TITLE" field from windows explorer  (Read 6300 times)

daveg

• World Citizen
Help with "TITLE" field from windows explorer
« on: October 26, 2015, 10:26:27 am »

In windows explorer, I have many .mp4 files with the Title property/field filled in. I am trying to remove the info in that field when importing to JR. I cannot find a "Title" Field in JR. When importing, it adds that info to the JR "Name" field. If I remove that data, It does not replace info in explorer(Which is what I am trying to do). Am I missing something simple here. Or any other suggestions on how I can automate this.

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with "TITLE" field from windows explorer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:53 am »

Name is the song name or name of the video (like movie title or TV show).  If that maps to "title" in windows explorer, then they should be the same thing.

What you may be missing is MC might not be writing your changes back to the files.  Select a few files.  Change the Name field.  Now right click > Library Tools > Update Tags (from library).  That will write the MC tags back into the files for the ones you have selected.

There's a setting that makes this happen automatically when you change tags:  Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > update tags when file info changes > (check on)

I'm sort of confused about what you're trying to accomplish though:  The Name field is pretty important for almost any type of media file.  Why would you be trying to erase them all?

Brian.

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:32 pm »

Thanks..tried all that, and does not work. But that is not a surprise as here is no Title field in JR. It moves that info to the "name" field. Any Guru's out there that might be able to explain why there is no Title field, and why when importing files, it moves to name field

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:57:57 pm »

Title = name

they map to the same tag (tit2), so you can't have different name/title values for a track

If you follow blgentry advice, the tags will be written to file...only then will explorer note the change

To test I just changed the title in explorer, then in mc "update library from tags"...the value for name was changed.  I then changed name in MC and "update tags from library".  The title in explorer indeed changed

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:38:19 pm »

I then changed name in MC and "update tags from library".  The title in explorer indeed changed

Did the change in that direction work for an MP4 file?

I just tested and MC wrote the change to a sidecar file, even though I have the "update tags when file info changes" flag ticked, but also have the "Store tags is external sidecar files if the file type does not support tagging" option set to Video. When I set the "Store tags is external sidecar files if the file type does not support tagging" option set to nothing the "Update tags from library" failed.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that MC won't update MP4 video file tags. Which I thought was strange at the time.

Tagging in different file formats is all about mapping of fields. Here is a nice reference. Note that in iTunes MP4 files, the Title field is called . . . Šnam, which I believe is short for Copyright Name.  ;D

Anyway Daveg, if what you want to do is remove the contents of the Title field displayed in Windows Explorer, simply do that in Windows Explorer.
1. Select one or more files in Windows Explorer.
2. Right click the files and select properties.
3. Select the Details tab.
4. Click the "Remove Properties and Personal Information" link at the bottom of the dialogue.
5. Click the "Remove the following properties from this file:" button
6. Tick the "Title" field.
7. Click OK to save the changes, and OK again to exit the Properties dialogue.

Done.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:03:12 pm »

Thanks for the replys.
Updating the tags does not seem to work for mp4 files. Get a message --> 1 file updated(1 failure).....when I only chose one file.

roderick.
That's what I have been doing for 3 years now, about 10 times a day. So you can see why I would like it automated.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:57:30 pm »

I'll ask again:  What are you trying to achieve?  There's probably a faster way with an external tool if you want to erase all of the Titles.  Which again, I'm unclear why you'd want to do that.

There are definitely tag editors that read and write MP4 tags to video files.  You should be able to do batch changes with any decent tag editor that supports MP4 video.  I've only tested KID3 (cross platform free tag editor).  It works with MP4s, but it seems inefficient.  There are probably some really nice ones for Windows.  Good luck to you.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 10:09:54 pm »

Good call guys, and my bad.  I don't have a single MP4 file in the library so I didn't even realize MC doesn't work with them

I know MP3tag can work with MP4 but again I can't even test to see if it changes the actual data

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 07:55:51 am »

Here is why I need the title gone.

I am using Playon/Playlater(online tv recorder) to record shows from my tv provider/Netflix/ and others. Many times does not have a proper title, depending on where the show is coming from. Or, I just want to rename it for a common display.
So after it finishes recording, it inserts that name as the filename...AND the title. (Talked to them, and they are not going to change that)

Now I change the filename (no way around this) ...Should be good enough, but I use the WDTV Media player to serve media throughout our house. This player displays the title...unless it is blank, and then it will display the filename.

So I have to go into the file properties again, and remove the title from the file.

As I said above, have been doing this for years, love the setup I have. Just though there might be an easy way to skip that second step.

Last night tried many different tools, and either they were cumbersome, or did not work at all.

If JR can't do it, then just want a command line tool where I can just run one program and will go through directory and remove that field from all files.

Question for anyone at JR. Is this something that can be incorporated into a future release?

Thanks a million for your help so far.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:46:41 am »

Here is why I need the title gone.[...]

Ok, that's sort of complicated, but it makes sense.  Like you said, you've been building up this configuration for a long time.

If JR can't do it, then just want a command line tool where I can just run one program and will go through directory and remove that field from all files.

Have you heard of FFMpeg?  It's been around for a very long time.  It's a command line set of utilities for manipulating audio and video files.  I just did a google search and found several examples of using FFMpeg to set tags on MP4 video files, including titles.  I would think you could easily script this to set Title equal to Filename, or just set Title to blank.

Good luck!

Brian.

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:38 am »

FFMpeg is next on my list to try tonight. Hope it works.

Thanks

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 09:19:25 am »

Do you serve directly from HDD or the WD media network?

If you're already using the WD network to serve, why don't you serve with MC instead?  Then you can sort by any metadata you want...I have many WD boxes but I use them purely as MC renderers (if I'm not mistaken, you posted some good renderer settings for .mkv that I use)

You can sort any way you want using MC although the DLNA interface on the WDTV isn't great, it certainly works to leverage your metadata

Edit: I converted a file to MP4, as soon as I have some time I'll play with it to see what I can come up with.  It kinda bothers me that I didn't have any idea about this format and potential weirdness

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 12:22:16 pm »

Do you serve directly from HDD or the WD media network?

If you're already using the WD network to serve, why don't you serve with MC instead?  Then you can sort by any metadata you want...I have many WD boxes but I use them purely as MC renderers (if I'm not mistaken, you posted some good renderer settings for .mkv that I use)

You can sort any way you want using MC although the DLNA interface on the WDTV isn't great, it certainly works to leverage your metadata

Edit: I converted a file to MP4, as soon as I have some time I'll play with it to see what I can come up with.  It kinda bothers me that I didn't have any idea about this format and potential weirdness

Ahhhh, this opens up another question/problem I have had for a while.

Would love to use JR to serve media to my WDTV as it would be optimal, but here is my issue.....

I store the files on a WD Cloud drive. Have 3 kids(plus my wife and I) and they are all constantly asking for different tv shows...so I am always creating new folders for each show they want....or different types of movies(action, drama, thriller etc). Have about 150 different tv folders.

WDTV Player allows us to view by video/audio folders... JR does not. Tried this a long time ago and anytime I created a new folder, I had to create a new smartlist(and I already have about 200 of those for music/photos)..and it got really messy after awhile when they wanted the shows/folders gone.

So I guess my new question is. Is there any way to have JR display by folder through WDTV...or any DLNA player. Haven't tried for a long time, but seems I can only view  by filename(8,000 files) or playlist(350). Each involves way too much scrolling

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 12:41:36 pm »

using MC to serve the WD allows for any view scheme you have the patience to make...if you can create a standard view in MC you can replicate it for the most part in the WDTV DLNA

just go to customize view in the ...add or configure DLNA servers menu and go to town

i spent an irritating amount of time doing mine but now i can leverage all the metadata i want to put in, including filename (path) or other disk-structure stuff.  for TV shows i have them in folders for the show name, then season # folders, then episode #-episode name (so for example on the WDTV i navigate to TV/The Walking Dead/1/01-No Sanctuary).  for movies i tend to sort by genre although i have alphabetical views, years, keywords, etc.

is this what you mean by folder structure?

i'm not in front of my MC right now but if you have specific questions i may be able to help with that.  i should caveat that my files are stored on an HTPC (so i don't use a NAS or cloud), it shouldn't make a difference but i don't know that for sure

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:27 pm »

Yup, that's exactly what I am trying to do with folder structure. Will give it a shot when I get home tonight. Thanks so much for your help. Will let you know if I have questions or issues.

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 08:45:12 am »

Success.
Thanks soooo much for all your help. Didn't realize that JR could serve media by folder like that. Thought I had tried that years ago. Also, Love that is customizable so I can remove views I don't want.

Now, I just have the name field stripped out when importing. Perfect..

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up