INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server 20 and 21 prevents my iMac from closing  (Read 2257 times)

Domi62

• Recent member
Media Server 20 and 21 prevents my iMac from closing
« on: October 23, 2015, 08:00:38 am »

Dear all, I migrated a few months ago from Windows back to Mac, and J River MC is one of the few things I took with me from the Windows world.
Unfortunately, when I run the Media Server (which is... always!), in MC 20 and 21, both with Yosemite and now El Capitan, my iMac refuses to shut down.
A dialog box appears telling MC 21 prevents me from shutting down the Mac, I must click retry, and then the Mac closes down.
is there any trick to avoid this annoying behavior?
(and yes, I insist on shutting down my computer in the evening, no I will not leave it running forever as many Mac fans recommend)

Many thanks!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server 20 and 21 prevents my iMac from closing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 11:54:06 am »

How about using the Sleep function instead of a full shutdown?  It will come back to it's full interface much faster and will use very little power when sleeping.  Sleep should not be interrupted by any program that is running, including MC.

Brian.

Domi62

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:08:50 am »

Many tanks for the suggestion. This indeed works, but I am still part f the rue shutdown group of folks.
If J River can't fix this strange behavior, would there be an automated way using some Mac OS tricks to make J River Media Server quit when launching shutdown?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 08:22:37 am »

Many tanks for the suggestion. This indeed works, but I am still part f the rue shutdown group of folks.

Why?  There's no good reason to regularly shut down a Mac fully.  It's built on a Unix core and is perfectly stable running for 30, 60, 90 or more days at a time.  Its one of the reasons I own a Mac.  If you're worried about power consumption, you're chasing your tail.  The extra wear and tear you put on the machine by shutting it down all the time probably offsets the cost of the tiny amount of extra power you use by having it sleep rather than be fully powered off.

Brian.

Jumpsturdy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:37:54 pm »

Quit MC first then Shutdown.

While some apps will quit when Shutdown is invoked, not all will. This is particularly so if any running app is actively doing something in the background. I shut off my mac a lot less often these days than in the past, but if I am going to be away for a while I will shut it off, but always quit the apps individually before doing so. That gives each app the chance to remind me if it is actively doing something and allows me the option of quitting or allowing the app to complete whatever process was ongoing. In your case maybe MC was doing something in the background when you went to shut down the computer.

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 11:14:27 am »

I have MC21 on my Mac Mini.  I don't have any trouble with a full shut down unless there's an MC application running in the background.  My two most frequent examples are:

1:  After ripping a CD MC generates a report that must be acknowledged when the program is shut down.  The Mac will postpone shutting down until MC shuts down and MC won't shut down until the rip report is acknowledged.
2:  I sometimes forget to let the "analyze audio" function finish before trying to shut down.  Once analyze audio is complete and I've clicked the "exit" button on the pop-up window the Mac will shut down normally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up