INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dirac and JRiver 21: DAP Rescan for new devices breaks DAP  (Read 10248 times)

Snookboy

• Recent member
Dirac and JRiver 21: DAP Rescan for new devices breaks DAP
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:20:33 am »

Anyone else experience this issue?  Once you have Dirac installed, with more than one output device and JRiver installed, if you hit re-scan devices on the DAP, it sits on initializing.  It will either sit there forever, or will throw either a can't communicate with server or a C++ error.  You have to uninstall both JRiver and Dirac to resolve.  It will work fine, switching between outputs, but if you ask it to re-scan, you are stuck.

I have duplicated this on two different machines and 4 OS installs, obviously a couple of fresh OS installs.  No question it is Dirac and JRiver.  I have a ticket open with Dirac, but wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Snookboy

• Recent member
Re: Dirac and JRiver 21: DAP Rescan for new devices breaks DAP
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:48:54 am »

No one else?  I'm finding the Live Calibration Tool also crashes consistently.  Uninstall JRiver and it runs fine.  Reinstall JRiver and it won't run.  No one else experiencing this?  As mentioned, I experience the exact same issues on two different machines.  Could still be something unique to my environment, but I've eliminated most variables on one machine with a fresh OS install and a minimum of installed applications. 

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 01:01:27 pm »

Me too!

Started after an upgrade to Windows 10 and JRiver MC 21.
Uninstalling MC and Dirac starts working again.

UPDATE:
If Dirac is running (i.e. - was initialized to find the audio driver) before JRiver is installed I can install JRiver and play through Dirac.
This continues to work until I restart (or just restart Dirac).
It seems that something that JRiver is installing prevents Dirac from initializing (find audio device) regardless if MC is running or not, just that it has been installed.  

Also have a ticket @ Dirac. Any suggestions from JRiver?

Dirac's error message for googlers:
---------------------------
Dirac Audio Processor
Failed to connect to Dirac Processor Server, press OK to try again or Cancel to close application
OK Cancel
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 02:01:28 pm »

Update: Culprit & a workaround -

Using Process Monitor I've found that Dirac is reading the following registry key:
 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO\JRiver Media Center 21

Once I deleted this key (there were actually several from older versions) Dirac started to work again.

I'm not sure of the implications but for me it works fine (I don't use ASIO).

HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 02:10:52 pm »

I think that registry key is for JRiver's ASIO input driver (not it's output driver).  As a test, could someone still having an issue try going into Tools-->Options-->General-->Features and unticking the box next to ASIO driver, and then restarting JRiver?  If that fixes the issue it means that Dirac is failing when it ftries to enumerate all the ASIO devices on the system, which happens occasionally with JRiver's ASIo driver.

There were some recent changes to it's behavior for compatibility with some Sony software that may have caused this issue (if that is the issue).

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 02:13:00 pm »

Me too!

Started after an upgrade to Windows 10 and JRiver MC 21.
Uninstalling MC and Dirac starts working again.

UPDATE:
If Dirac is running (i.e. - was initialized to find the audio driver) before JRiver is installed I can install JRiver and play through Dirac.
This continues to work until I restart (or just restart Dirac).
It seems that something that JRiver is installing prevents Dirac from initializing (find audio device) regardless if MC is running or not, just that it has been installed. 

Also have a ticket @ Dirac. Any suggestions from JRiver?

Interesting, although Dirac themselves told me it did yet work with Win 10.  Maybe it does but they just have not fully certified it under 10 yet.

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 02:22:25 pm »

I think that registry key is for JRiver's ASIO input driver (not it's output driver).  As a test, could someone still having an issue try going into Tools-->Options-->General-->Features and unticking the box next to ASIO driver, and then restarting JRiver?  If that fixes the issue it means that Dirac is failing when it ftries to enumerate all the ASIO devices on the system, which happens occasionally with JRiver's ASIo driver.

There were some recent changes to it's behavior for compatibility with some Sony software that may have caused this issue (if that is the issue).

I'll need to reinstall JRiver and then trying this for a proper test. Perhaps Snookboy could try that.

Interesting, although Dirac themselves told me it did yet work with Win 10.  Maybe it does but they just have not fully certified it under 10 yet.

That.
Also - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f23-dsp-room-correction-and-multi-channel-audio/dirac-live-and-windows-10-a-25291/

alexanderbax

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:32:14 am »

Hi,

Just joined the forum specifically to comment on this.

My Dirac processor and calibrator both started crashing when trying to use it with JRiver 21 (it had been working fine with JRiver 21 since I first installed it).  I raised a ticket request with Dirac and they currently have my log files and are looking in to it.

What I did find, is that if I uninstalled JRiver 21 and reinstall the old version 20 I dont run in to any problems at all, so this is definietly something to do with a recent update to version 21.

I'll see what Dirac can derive from my log files I sent and keep you updated.

I will try the registry update but I'm worried it might affect something else.  I am currently running Dirac via ASIO out to my Chord Hugo.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:31:54 am »

As you can see, several of us have had the same problem caused by a conflict with JR21.  Dirac now has several tickets open on the issue.  I have notified Dirac with a link to this thread.  But, there would seem to be little they can do.  The solution will be found here in this thread after further testing.  Meanwhile, Dirac works just fine with JR20.

The good news for me is that this problem helped me solve a different problem I was having in JR.  The Dirac problem seemed to be an antivirus/firewall problem at first.  So, I uninstalled Norton and installed Webroot.  It did not fix the Dirac problem, but it cured a TV audio problem I had been having:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=101021.0

r_cohen

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 07:25:42 am »

This worked like a charm for me on my Windows 7 machine and my Windows 10 machine.
Thanks!

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 02:54:39 pm »

"As a test, could someone still having an issue try going into Tools-->Options-->General-->Features and unticking the box next to ASIO driver, and then restarting JRiver?"

This appears to have resolved the problem.  I reinstalled 21 and Dirac was immediately broken again.  Unchecked this and it appears to be fine.  Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2015, 07:48:59 am »

Is there a free sample of Dirac somewhere we could install to test this issue?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 08:26:47 am »

Is there a free sample of Dirac somewhere we could install to test this issue?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a free trial version:

http://www.dirac.se/en/online-store.aspx

But, I am quite happy now on 21.0.17, although I have not tried it with WDM turned on. My JR ASIO driver is turned on, but I do not use it.  I do not need WDM.

I get the impression that it was a problem in a few builds of 21, not sure which exactly, but that it now works with build 17.

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 09:53:09 am »

I am on build 15 and it breaks it unless you turn off the ASIO driver. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 10:01:43 am »

I am on build 15 and it breaks it unless you turn off the ASIO driver. 

Please try build 17 because there's a report above that it's fixed in that build.

Thanks.

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 10:10:15 am »

I did and I concur.  Seems to work fine with 17.  I haven't gone thru the paces with Dirac, but a quick test of what would break it in the past does not do so now.  Seems to be fine with this build.  Thanks. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 10:16:53 am »

Great!

I think this fix must have been the key:
Fixed: Sibelius was not running with the ASIO driver installed.

Glad that it's sorted out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up