INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Starting Playback of Recording in Progress  (Read 8835 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Starting Playback of Recording in Progress
« on: October 28, 2015, 10:49:56 am »

I've noticed this on a few occasions.  If I start playback of a recording in progress, MC often (not sure if it's always), starts playing at the end of the file (IE - live TV), vs playing from the start of the file.  This can be really bad if say, you setup a recording for the World Series, and then start watching it in the middle of the 3rd inning.  I think the obvious expectation is that playback should start at 00:00.

Anyone else noticed this?  Thanks!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Starting Playback of Recording in Progress
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 10:56:27 am »

From which part of the program do you start watching?  The behavior is different if you start watching it as a recording, or if you watch it as a TV channel.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:59:21 am »

From which part of the program do you start watching?  The behavior is different if you start watching it as a recording, or if you watch it as a TV channel.

From the recording.  This happened last night, I went into Theatre View > Video > selected the game, hit play, then had to rewind.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:21:58 am »

I just tried it and it seems to work as expected.  I will keep an eye on it.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:46:39 am »

I just tried it and it seems to work as expected.  I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks.  I'll do the same, see if I can notice a pattern.  In case these details are of importance:

- I have a server recording the tv program and saving it to a NAS.
- The client HTPC is typically off. 
- I have multiple zones on the HTPC.  Last night, I changed the zone as I normally do to the TV (HDMI output) prior to playback.  My Theatre View preferences are to direct all output to my DAC.  ZoneSwitch changes video playback to a zone with compression, still on the DAC.  Selecting the TV zone overrides that and pushes the output over HDMI, again compressed.
- I set the program "World Series" to record, and start 30 minutes early to catch the pregame.

I've got this all setup again for tonight, I'll try it again exactly the same, just 5 minutes late this time :)

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »

Did you watch the show on a client?  What I tested earlier was on server/stand-alone computer. 

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »

Did you watch the show on a client?  What I tested earlier was on server/stand-alone computer. 

Yes.  Playback on a client.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:28:46 pm »

This sometimes happens to me as well, maybe one time out of ten. My case is local - no client. I have not been able to figure out what use pattern causes it.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:24:11 pm »

This just happened to me again.  I set the recording rule up on the program of world series, with a 31 prestart and 120 minutes after.  It's been on air for 52 minutes.  I hit play and it starts playing at the 31:30 mark.  I can test more later, but now it's time to watch some baseball :)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:22:56 am »

Do you have the option set to "Resume Playback using Bookmarks" set to "Automatic" at Tools>Options>General>Behavior?

I believe MC marks/sets the Bookmark for the start of the recorded program at the actual program start time (according to EPG data), then when you start the program to watch it (with Bookmark = Automatic") it goes to the actual program start time and not the beginning of the recording (which may be -1, or -31, etc.).

I have my Resume Playback using Bookmarks set to "Ask" and when I start a previously recorded program MC asks me if I want to start at the Beginning or Resume. If I select Resume, the program starts at "0" programming time (or where ever I left off) and if I select "Beginning" the program starting at the -1 minute program time.

I think "Automatic" is start at last Bookmark position (which would be "actual program start time" on a show that was never watched), and "No" starts the program at the Beginning of the program regardless of bookmark.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 10:28:43 am »

Do you have the option set to "Resume Playback using Bookmarks" set to "Automatic" at Tools>Options>General>Behavior?

I believe MC marks/sets the Bookmark for the start of the recorded program at the actual program start time (according to EPG data), then when you start the program to watch it (with Bookmark = Automatic") it goes to the actual program start time and not the beginning of the recording (which may be -1, or -31, etc.).

I have my Resume Playback using Bookmarks set to "Ask" and when I start a previously recorded program MC asks me if I want to start at the Beginning or Resume. If I select Resume, the program starts at "0" programming time and if I select "Beginning" the program starting at the -1 minute program time.

I think "Automatic" is start at last Bookmark position (which would be "actual program start time" on a show that was never watched), and "No" starts the program at the Beginning of the program regardless of bookmark.

Oooh, I didn't know that was an option.  I had it set to automatic, I've changed it to ask and will see what happens with a few programs.  Thanks!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:41 pm »

I did another quick check today.  This time playing on a client.  When playing from the Guide, playback starts at live time.  When picking the recording from Movies or Shows, and choose Watch from there, playback starts at the beginning of the show.  That is the expected behavior.  If you see something different, let me know.

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 03:59:36 pm »

I'm fairly sure that once in a while mine has started from the live position after selecting an in-progress recording to play. Next time it happens I'll try to remember the circumstances.

Daveyravey

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 07:18:16 am »

i had a similar issue last night. I came back and opened a programme still being recorded and it didnt start from the beginning more annoyingly when a recorded programme or movie has not started from the beginning the only way it seems to start from beginning is to use the rewind button on the remote. Why is there not a command such as in windows media center to "start playback from beginning"?

Also had a crash last night when attempting to rewind the programme MC21 crashed.

I have mailed a log file Yaobing!

regards

Dave

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 04:35:10 pm »

Did you start play from a recording file, either in Standard or Theatre view as required, or did you start it from the Guide or start playing the channel itself, either from the Television section of Standard View, or using the "Live TV" button, or channel numbers on the remote?

If you do start playing a recording and it doesn't start from the beginning, try pressing stop twice, which is how a Bookmark can be cleared, and then play the recording file. Does that then start from the beginning?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2015, 09:03:35 pm »

Not sure if this could be a related issue - pressing the stop button once does not always result in being able to resume where viewing left off. Sometimes the show will resume from the beginning on next play.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2015, 01:09:22 am »

Depending on the setup of your remote, a long press could be seen as two presses. If you can change the delay between signals, try that. Some remotes provide that capability. From memory my Logitech does.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

DeaneG

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 04:54:49 pm »

Roderick, good idea, maybe that's it.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2015, 12:46:11 pm »

If you do start playing a recording and it doesn't start from the beginning, try pressing stop twice, which is how a Bookmark can be cleared, and then play the recording file. Does that then start from the beginning?
That's a terrible way to clear bookmarks.  (Now I know why they sometimes don't work.)

I find that in GUI's, double-mouse-clicking, double-remote-button-presses, and dragging-and-dropping are all very unreliable.   All sorts of "environmental" conditions, such as multiplicity of IR sensors on equipment, processes running on the PC that delay processing of GUI events, and so forth, cause such events to be interpreted differently in the GUI at different times.

That's aside from the problem of elderly people who have reduced coordination (a relative of mine simply cannot double-click at all).

Can we have an option added that disables clearing of bookmarks from two stop button presses, IF the resume function is set to "ask"?

Thanks !

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2015, 03:43:14 pm »

That's a terrible way to clear bookmarks.  (Now I know why they sometimes don't work.)

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions, but I find it a brilliant way to clear a bookmark. I use it often when I have run forward through a file to check quality or the end of a program was captured and so on. If I didn't clear the bookmark and played it later, the program wouldn't play from the start. Using the two Stop method is very convenient and easy to use.

I hear you and understand your request though. But at some point people need to just learn how to use the software, or the software will become more and more complex to set up, and understand what it is doing.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 07:02:45 pm »

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions, but I find it a brilliant way to clear a bookmark. I use it often when I have run forward through a file to check quality or the end of a program was captured and so on. If I didn't clear the bookmark and played it later, the program wouldn't play from the start. Using the two Stop method is very convenient and easy to use.

I hear you and understand your request though. But at some point people need to just learn how to use the software, or the software will become more and more complex to set up, and understand what it is doing.
You are reading too fast.

The problem is not learning to use the software, it is the glitchiness of both Windows and the typical living room in responding to remote controls or mouse clicks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 07:43:00 pm »

You are reading too fast.

The problem is not learning to use the software, it is the glitchiness of both Windows and the typical living room in responding to remote controls or mouse clicks.

Not at all. I was commenting on what you said in the text I quoted, not on the remainder of your post. The "two stops" method of clearing a bookmark is not "a terrible way to clear bookmarks."

Now that you have raised it again, I don't have any problem with any of the normal activities required to use a PC that you mention. I'm not going to go into a blow by blow technical discussion on the points you raise. I will just say that if something doesn't work on my PC, or my IR remote, I fix it or replace it. The issues you raise are not endemic to Windows or IR devices.

While some of the aged and infirm may have trouble with such things as fine motor control for double clicking and the like, there are settings to change the behaviour of a mouse that can help, and the same with many IR remotes. Why don't you look into some of them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up