INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird volume leveling issue with videos  (Read 2098 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Weird volume leveling issue with videos
« on: October 28, 2015, 02:08:45 pm »

I'm having a strange experience with volume leveling, but perhaps I'm being dense and not doing something right, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Volume leveling has always worked fine for me with audio.  Recently I've analyzed all my video files, with the understanding that JRiver did volume leveling on those too.  I have a lot of movies, with various ac3/dts/truehd/dts-ma soundtracks.  Bitstreaming is turned off, Volume Leveling is turned on, adaptive volume is off.  Using JRiver's internal volume (which I leave set to 100)

One of my movies, The Dark Knight Rises, plays MUCH quieter than the others.  I have to turn the volume on my amp up 20db to hear its dialog normally.

What is strange to me is that turning JRiver's volume leveling on or off seems to make no difference.  I've also tried messing with the values of the Volume Level R128 and Volume Level Replaygain fields, but that also seems to make no difference.

What am I missing here?

wer

Re: Weird volume leveling issue with videos
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 07:07:18 pm »

Bump

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:09:29 pm »

Have you run analyze audio on that movie?  Volume leveling won't work unless it's been analyzed.

What format is the audio track you are listening to?  DTS, for example, is always mastered at a rather low level.  I don't know the technical specs, but I'd guess DTS is roughly 8 to 10 dB lower than a typical AC3 (Dolby digital) track.

Multichannel audio for video is strange stuff man.

Brian.

wer

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 08:42:24 pm »

As I said in my post, yes, it's been analyzed.

The movie is DTS-HD Master Audio.  But I have many other movies that are in the same format and play at normal levels.  This is the only one that outputs at abnormally low levels.

How can I change the tags to "trick" the volume leveling algorithm? 

wer

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 11:20:06 am »

Can anyone tell me what field I can edit to force the volume up or down?  I tried as listed in my original post but no luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up