INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing a single movie in Theater View  (Read 2838 times)

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Playing a single movie in Theater View
« on: November 01, 2015, 03:18:42 am »

I recently upgraded to MC21 from MC16, and I've noticed a difference in behavior playing videos in theater view.

In the previous version, I would press play on my remote on a movie in theater view, and when that movie was done playing, playback would stop.

In MC21, it always goes on to the next movie.

If I change repeat from off to stop after each item, playback stops when the movie is done, but then I can't play an entire music album either, so that's not a solution.  Same with changing the play/add-all behavior.

If I press select to go into the movie details and THEN press play, playback stops when the movie is over, but this is an annoying extra step.

Is there any way I can get MC21 to go back to the old behavior in theater view: continuous play for audio, but single file play for movies?

Thanks...

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Playing a single movie in Theater View
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 04:31:43 am »

Change the default action in the roller from Play All to Play
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 08:45:45 am »

How do you do that?

wer

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 11:10:31 am »

It used to be if you arrowed over to "Play All" then a secondary roller would appear below that, and MC would remember your selection for future use.

Thanks for the idea, but unfortunately:

1. There is no PLAY on that secondary roller. (Play all, add all, shuffle all, add all as next to play) are the choices
2. What you select there is global in theater view, the same for audio as for video.

The old behavior was single play for video, continuous play for audio.  That's what I'm trying to get back to.

Am I missing somewhere else to change the behavior of that roller, or is there a different way?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 05:08:19 am »

It might be called "Watch" instead of Play for video views, but its in the secondary roller, my Theater View only plays single movies. :)
IIRC its remembered for each root view independently, so switching it in the video view should not touch the audio view, but maybe I'm misremembering.

For this kind of thing its also important to make sure the view is exclusively limited to one media type, because the behavior depends on the media type in the view. If the view is filtered to only include Media Type=Video, then it should behave differently than if it contains a mixture of  video, audio and images.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 09:06:30 am »

Yeah for TV Shows, when you open a TV series that has multiple shows (episodes), you get the "Play All" selection. this makes sense, since on this screen you have not yet selected a single episode to watech.

Then oddly (I think) when you click-on (select an episode to watch) one of the available episodes to watch, you get a "Watch" and "Watch All" choice. This is the part that seems out of step because the "watch all" decision shoul dhave been made on the previous screen where you can see all the episodes.

So here the "Watch All" choice would then "refer to the previous screen listing the available episodes" (all the episodes in Season 2 in this example).

I think  the "Watch All" choice is not needed here, and just have "Play" or "Watch" (or better yet, click the Play or Enter button on the remote). If I wanted to watch all the episodes, I would have chosen "Play All" from the previous screen. IMHO.

wer

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 11:16:18 am »

Hendrik, could you post a screenie of where you're changing the default from Play-All/Watch-All to just Play/Watch?  I just can't find it anywhere.  I already listed in my previous post the options I have, and that is not amongst them.

I only see the option Watch once I've gone into the details for an individual movie.  Back at the list of movies, Play-All is what I get.

I'm using a remote, so I also tried changing the behavior of "Play button" in options/general, but both choices produced the same result.

If you are able to play just a single movie by hitting the play button from a list of movies in theater view, then you have the old behavior I'm trying to recover.  Just need clearer info on how to do it.  Thanks!

wer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 02:21:35 pm »

I'm on to something... It has something to do with the way the views in theater view are defined.  Something implicit, not explicit.

For example, I just fixed a view... It was exhibiting Continuous Play behavior on videos, and now I modified it to exhibit Single Play.
Files to include in this view is restricted to Media Type=Video, Media Sub-Type=Movie.

How did I fix it?

The view was defined as an expression: [Name]

I change it to Library Field: Name

That was the only change, and that caused the play behavior to switch.  Why, I have no idea, but I'll continue to investigate.

wer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 03:53:08 pm »

Ok, here's how the structure of a view seems to affect playback behavior:

(Common to all: Files to include:MediaType=Video;MediaSubType=Movie)

• Create New Library Item: Category:Expression=[Name]   yields continuous playback
  • Create New Library Item: Category:LibraryField=[Name]  yields single playback
  • Create New Library Item: Category:LibraryField=[Genre]  yields continuous playback (when you descend into a genre, and press play on a film)
  • Create New Library Item: Category:empty                    yields continuous playback  (this is the the Grid view included with MC21)

Why the difference?  Is this a bug?
Pages: [1]   Go Up