INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Help with Generic Driver Option  (Read 1019 times)

blagga

• nothing more to say...
Need Help with Generic Driver Option
« on: February 10, 2003, 12:18:04 pm »

I've had MJ 8.0.336 (which is a great program) for a while now, but I bought a new CD burner recently and now the "use generic driver" option is checked and greyed out, forcing me to have the 2-second gap.  I know it's not a big deal, but I have tried many things to fix it with no luck.

The new burner is the Samsung combo drive SM-348B, which is on the supported drive list.

ASPI stuff has been installed and looks OK I think: version 4.71.2 for ASPI32.SYS and WNASPI32.DLL (WOWPOST.EXE and WINASPI.DLL both say version 4.6 though-- is this a problem?)

I have Windows XP

I tried re-installing MJ

I tried updating MJ to version 8.0.395: option was still greyed and I decided to go back to the older version anyway because the new one crashed a lot.

I tried reinstalling the CD burner driver.

Again, burning works fine but I'd really like to be able to not use the generic driver and not have to go back to my old much slower burner!  I've looked at all the FAQs and searched the forum and nothing seems to help.  All I can figure is that the new burner is REALLY new (came out in December 2002) and is somehow not yet supported, but why then would it be on the supported list?

Any help/ suggestion is greatly appreciated.  I still think it's the best software of its kind!

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need Help with Generic Driver Option
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 04:35:39 am »

What would you think of trying the Media Center 9 beta software?

The problem you're having is that MJ8 has an older version of the non-generic burning engine (Goldenhawk) than is listed on their web page. It will not support the latest CD burners.

We rolled our own burning engine for MC 9 and it should support your drive (and any newer one) just fine. It is beta software however, so you may have to put up with a few bugs here and there although it's getting quite stable now. Also, you should backup all your version 8 stuff in case you want to go back.

John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

blagga

• nothing more to say...
Re: Need Help with Generic Driver Option
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 01:39:06 pm »

JohnT:

Thank you so much for your reply!  I have been thinking about trying MC 9, so maybe it's time now.  It sounds like a great burning engine since you can easily record cross-fades and such.  Mainly I'm just so glad to get your response because now I know I haven't missed something somewhere to make it work.  (I guess it turns out I've been wasting a lot of time lately.)  I should have known since my drive is so new.

Anyway, thanks again.  And this program really is the greatest; you guys know-- you really know.

Nothing else even comes close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up