INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transcoding CPU  (Read 2495 times)

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
Transcoding CPU
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:23:10 am »

I'm looking to be able to transcode 5-6 streams at once to gizmo or jremote clients. Nearly all of my video library is now HEVC. I know the new intel cpu's have added support for encoding/decoding HEVC. So does it make sense to upgrade to an intel i5 6600? Will jriver be able to take advantage of the cpu's ability to encode/decode hevc?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Transcoding CPU
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:46 am »

I can't speak to the hardware decoding/encoding support issue, but the conventional wisdom is that (Without acceleration) if you want to be able to transcode multiple streams, you want a CPU with a passmark benchmark of around 2000 for every 1080p stream you want to be able to simultaneously transcode.  So for six streams you'd want something north of 12k: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html  Most of those are super expensive Xeons or X-branded chips.

The i5-6600K clocks in south of 8k, so unless the hardware decoding/encoding a) worked with JRiver and b) gave a reliable 50%+ bump, it would not be particularly suitable for your use case. 

The i7-6700k or an i7-4790K would be a safer bet (clocking in around 11k)

dmarkovi

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Transcoding CPU
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:28 pm »

well I know it can't offload transcoding to a HEVC decoding/encoding enabled gpu. I thought a cpu might be different if it has it "built-in"
Pages: [1]   Go Up