INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 9.1.245 beta available  (Read 7310 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 9.1.245 beta available
« on: September 04, 2003, 02:26:53 pm »

Please read carefully before downloading.

This is BETA software.  There are still some known (and unknown) bugs.    

The latest known stable version of 9.1 beta is here:  
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter9_1.exe  

The latest build of 9.1 beta is here:  
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaCenter91245.exe      

Please report only known problems in this thread.   If you want to discuss changes in the UI, please use another thread.

History:  
1. Fixed: Dropping files on an empty playlist in the Action Window could invert their order.
2. Fixed: Comment field buffer for ID3 v2 tags now can hold up to 65K of data.
3. Fixed: Media Center would not always exit if it was launched through automation.
4. NEW: Handheld drop target includes file upload information.
5. Fixed: Backspace and delete keys did not work inside plug-ins.
6. Changed: Status bar displays more information about what it's doing while updating views.
7. Fixed: Playing a song would the view twice instead of once.
8. Changed: Date no longer a default search field. (since it's numeric)
9. Changed: Several search engine optimizations. (default searches roughly twice as fast)
10. Changed: Panes fill around 50% faster.
11. Changed: List sorting around 40% faster. (sorting was slowest part of view updates)
12. Fixed: Dragging from the Action Window wouldn't always drag the correct files.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Center 9.1.245 beta available
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 02:41:58 pm »

>> 5. Fixed: Backspace and delete keys did
>> not work inside plug-ins.
Thank You!
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Valissystem

• World Citizen
  • Muso on ice...
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 02:44:26 pm »

1. Fixed: Dropping files on an empty playlist in the Action Window could invert their order.

Yes!! Thanks very much.

You guys are producing a really awsome piece of software here!!

knickelfarz

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 02:44:26 pm »

Small esthetic bug (but it robs of space...):  
Lists in Action Window always reserve an empty space on the right for a scrollbar - although there's no scrollbar present...  

Small esthetic Bug:
Some icons of the "ListIcons.png" don't have transparency.  

Don't know if this has worked before:
When listening to web radio, Playing Now's Track Info does not refresh when a new song starts. It's sticked to the page that is loaded when you start listening to the station.

Annoying behavior:
No mute when buffering web content (awful stuttering while buffering)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Audio Analysis still not working
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2003, 03:12:20 pm »

Audio Analysis still crashes after a few hundred songs, with a "Media Core" error. I am not playing anything, or in fact running any other programs. Generally manage to get through 300-400 songs before crashing.

I am basically using the Auto Smartlist to find the songs that need Audio Analysis, then starting with that selection.

As with another poster with the same problem, I am using an IEEE1394 drive (IO-Data 250GB external).

My system info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.244 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Unknown 370 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 654 MB, Free - 444 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2003, 03:51:14 pm »

12. Fixed: Dragging from the Action Window wouldn't always drag the correct files.

Wow! That was fast!

Also, it repaints lists and panes so fast. It's great!

By the way, the main option when right clicking a selection in AW's PN page is "Show it as window". IMO, it does not makes sense. Nobody wuold try to "Show it as window" right-clicking in a file... Right click menu should be context menu.

Also, if user right clicks AW's PN page (without any selection), only that option appear ("Show it as window"). IMO, the correct context items should be "Clear Playing Now", "Shuffle",...

If you right click in a selection in the detailed list (the grid) appears an item to show "Action Window (Ctrl-Enter)". IMO, we do not need that option any more, since AW is always present (in previous versions, it actually dissapears). CONTROL-ENTER used to be "Properties Window", we could reuse that keyboard shortcut...

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
Media Center doesn't detect CD burner
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2003, 04:58:43 pm »

Previous versions (eg. 9.1.226) successfully detected my CD drive and CD burner. Version 9.1.244 fails to detect the burner, and both drives show up as CD drives.

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2003, 05:20:56 pm »

I hope this is a bug and not by intent:

Selecting a single song to play in the playing now window removes all other songs in playing now.  I also mentioned this in the "bride" thread.  It's driving me bananas and is justification for running out on the groom - well, almost :)

Shelly
Listening to: 'Figure in Blue' from 'The Water Is Wide' by 'Charles Lloyd' on Media Center 9.1

friendly

• Recent member
  • Don't worry, I'm friendly...
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2003, 06:46:12 pm »

I hope this is a bug and not by intent:

Selecting a single song to play in the playing now window removes all other songs in playing now.  I also mentioned this in the "bride" thread.  It's driving me bananas and is justification for running out on the groom - well, almost :)

Overall, I am very impressed with 9.1 as compared to 9.0.  However, this is one of my two big beefs.  The other is that the action window Playing Now doesn't follow what's actually playing; you have to scroll down to find it, and the track that is playing is a very similar color to the other tracks, so it's hard to find.

Good vibes,
Eric

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2003, 08:12:25 pm »

BUG:
If I right click on a song anywhere (Playing Now, Media Libary, AW PN, ...) and select Play, it plays immediately, but it also removes everything else from Playing Now!  ?

I don't have any problems with the Double-Click Play operation.  I have it set to Add to Playing Now (play next) and that's what happens...

-John

Omni

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2003, 08:38:06 pm »

9. Changed: Several search engine optimizations. (default searches roughly twice as fast)
10. Changed: Panes fill around 50% faster.
11. Changed: List sorting around 40% faster. (sorting was slowest part of view updates)

Confirmed!!!   ;D

MC seems blazingly fast now.  Honestly!  I didn't realize how slow it was before until I installed this version.  Good job!

Omni

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 08:59:26 pm »

MC seems blazingly fast now.  Honestly!  I didn't realize how slow it was before until I installed this version.  Good job!

However, I think AW get refreshed to often. For instance, selecting a item in the panes cause AW refresh. It does not seem necessary. Switching between detailed list and album thumbnails also cause AW refresh.

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Audio Analysis still not working
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 09:16:02 pm »

Audio Analysis still crashes after a few hundred songs, with a "Media Core" error. I am not playing anything, or in fact running any other programs. Generally manage to get through 300-400 songs before crashing.

I am basically using the Auto Smartlist to find the songs that need Audio Analysis, then starting with that selection.

This happened to me tonight as well.  I used the smartlist and it crashed with the same type of error after doing about 250 of 280 tracks.

System info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.245 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2390 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 261 MB, Free - 28 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PHILIPS  DVD+RW SDVD6004    Addr: 0:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: No /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: Yes /  Normalization: None

maxl311

• Recent member
Re: Audio Analysis still not working
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 09:23:41 pm »

As with another poster with the same problem, I am using an IEEE1394 drive (IO-Data 250GB external).

I am running into the exact same problem with Audio Analysis using the 9.1.245 beta. When I queue up thousands of songs to analyze overnight, it crashes with a Media Core error after as few as 50 songs analyzed (sometimes it holds out for 300+).

I have 10,000 plus files in my library on an external Firewire drive running Windows XP sp1.

Could this have something to do with the number of the files in the queue? Audio analysis works with a smaller numbers of files queued (numbering in the hundreds rather than the thousands).

Media Center Registered 9.1.245 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2001 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 660 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1226 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive E:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive E: ATAPI    CD-RW 52X24        Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:52  BurnProof:Yes
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None
Every technology really needs to be shipped with a special manual -- not how to use it but why, when, and for what.

Jonas

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 11:57:46 pm »

However, I think AW get refreshed to often.

Actually, MC redraws everything far too often, sometimes making it feel slow even on my 3 GHz P4.

Move focus from the list to the tree => the entire list is redrawn.

Move focus from the tree to the list => the entire list is redrawn.

Click on some other song in the list => that song is repainted multiple times (you can see the name flickering).

Cursor up/down in the list => the panes are repainted, making them flicker slightly.

And as long as we're talking about things that make MC feel slow:  Click somewhere in the list and press F2 to edit that field.  Then press cursor down multiple times to move down through that list.   In a long list (22000 songs) it takes about half a second to move from one song to another.  It doesn't sound like much but moving from the top of the display to the bottom (60 songs) takes half a minute -- I just measured it.  It feels really slow.  The CPU is pegged at 100% throughout this operation.  In a shorter list I can move around much more quickly (I just noticed this by accident), so maybe there's some algorithm which takes time proportional to the list length even though it should take constant time?

And finally, the first time a particular song is shown in the list it takes a lot of time.  Maybe MC is checking whether it actually exists on disk?  In any case, if I just start MC and go to the media library, you can see the library being redrawn from top to bottom.  This takes a couple of seconds.  Page down, and it takes a couple of seconds again.  Paging up again to files that have already been shown is almost instantaneous.  I don't know quite what to do about it.  Maybe you don't need to check if the files exist until you try to use them, or maybe it could be done in the background, or maybe there's just something wrong with my system.

I don't mean this to sound like a complaint -- I really like MC and some friends who have tried it have been extremely impressed.  It's just that if you were to fix a few of these issues it would be even better.  It might also give a better first impression.

nila

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2003, 12:20:59 am »

Thanks for fixing the delete problem.

This bug is still there however:

Bringing up a Common Dialog (Colour) from a plugin using VB is not drawing properly - none of the colours are showing through and MC is trying to skin the dialog.

Grouping for things like time, dimensions, filesize etc dont work. Also does not work for: Recently Imported!

Image Rotate, etc options are only present for jpg's and do not appear for .bmp's.

Playlists in the AW are almost useless in 'Icon' form - for a playlist name as short as:  Blink 182 - Cheshire Cat - it gets cropped and is un-readable what to speak of for longer playlist names.

This NEEDS to be a list display rather than a large icon or AT LEAST have a way to toggle between the two.

ChicoSelfs

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2003, 01:40:36 am »

when i make a manual import file ( right click on a file > Media Center > Import ) it always show that 2 files have been analysed but i only choosed one, if i choose 2 files to import it shows that 3 files have been analysed... and so on
Made in Portugal

nila

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2003, 04:32:16 am »

Select some files in 'My Computer' - right click - rename from properties - it moves all the files correctly and then offers to delete the empty folder which it then does - the MC tree however does not update to show the fact the folder has been deleted!

ventilatedslacks

• Junior Woodchuck
  • bouncing off the walls, mr jones is back...
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2003, 04:47:14 am »

After installing this new version, if I choose "Show As Window" for the Action Window, the Action Window immediately minimizes itself to the Windows taskbar. This behavior continues even if I choose  Always on Top (the action window stays in the taskbar). The only way to view it as a window is to maximize it which is a bit impractical since it doesn't allow you to resize the window.

LisaRCT

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2003, 05:27:11 am »

While in playing now, if you click on the 'tick marks' on the bar that divides the file-list from the track-info/visualization window . . . .  it snaps to the top or bottom as it should, however when clicking again on the tick-mark it does not return to it's original position as it used to.  Instead it goes all the way to the opposite side.
It does return properly in media library while viewing panes and files, only misbehaves in playing now.

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2003, 05:47:23 am »

While in playing now, if you click on the 'tick marks' on the bar that divides the file-list from the track-info/visualization window . . . .  it snaps to the top or bottom as it should, however when clicking again on the tick-mark it does not return to it's original position as it used to.  Instead it goes all the way to the opposite side.
It does return properly in media library while viewing panes and files, only misbehaves in playing now.

LisaRCT,

I've got this same problem. Do you have the issue of the choppy/jerky looking visualizations?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2003, 06:07:38 am »

Alpha Blending doesn't appear to be working on Window Objects in Metamorphis.  

I'm not trying to alpha blend to the desktop. I'm trying to alphablend one metamorphis window on top of another metamorphis window. And I need to use a window for this for two reasons:  

1. It's going to slide. The metamorphis scripting language only allows for animated motion on windows.  

2. It has controls on it.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 06:09:57 am »

I have MC configured to open up in the same mode it was in when it was shutdown. Lately, this has meant mini-me mode. For some reason, whenever the Installer finishes and starts up MC. It ALWAYS opens it up in the SonixMedia mini-me skin. Subsuquent starts remember what skin I was using last.

Nikolay

• Former CTO, JRiver, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2003, 08:03:45 am »

Doof,

Alpha Blending doesn't appear to be working on Window Objects in Metamorphis.  

That will not work and I don't think it will ever work. It's almost impossible to implement.

Nikolay

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 08:20:37 am »

Doof,

That will not work and I don't think it will ever work. It's almost impossible to implement.

Nikolay

This same thing works in WMP. Same images and everything.

LisaRCT

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2003, 08:43:58 am »

LisaRCT,

I've got this same problem. Do you have the issue of the choppy/jerky looking visualizations?

No, I don't have the visualization problem . . .  video card issue perhaps?  Works fine with my ATi AIW7500, which is no powerhouse.

Diverdown1964

• World Citizen
  • No matter where you go, there you are
Media Server Images Still a Problem
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2003, 10:06:28 am »

When using media server, images appear properly in the properties window, and in the visualization area of the playing now window if no visualizations are selected.

However, if I use any of the visualizations (track info, etc) the image is not displayed, only what looks like a broken image link.

Thanks

Marty3d

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2003, 10:35:09 am »

OOOLD one:

Play a bunch of files (or set MC to play song no. 100 or something). Exit. Start (set MC to start in last used mode). The Playing Now doesn't show the file you're about to play because the focus is broken.

So what I'm trying to say is that in some situations, the focus in Playing Now is broken. Very annoying having to switch to media library and back for the file to get focus.

/Martin "On the 52k modem again :("

nila

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2003, 10:44:31 am »

AW is telling me I have:  742 of 701 MB used for the CD I'm about to burn.

The burn window itself is telling me I've used 515Mb and have 186Mb left.

Obviously one isn't working.

Also - right click send to burner - when this sticks it simply sticks as:  J
Not the most informative label on a right click :(

aussie1

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2003, 12:46:27 pm »

When I play music in shuffle mode for an extended period of time (multiple hours), MC works for fine for quite a while.  Then, it suddenly starts making massive distortions to the output.  If I push stop, then play, the output returns to normal.

I wish I could be more concise about the details or the pattern. All I can say is that this has happened three times.
Pages: [1]   Go Up