Networks and Remotes > Media Network

DSDIFF+cuefile via DLNA to Oppo BDP-105 - can't stream individual tracks

<< < (2/4) > >>

AndrewFG:

Frankly I would not expect anything to play 5.0 tracks via DLNA ...

kr4:

--- Quote from: AndrewFG on January 24, 2016, 12:03:19 pm ---Frankly I would not expect anything to play 5.0 tracks via DLNA ...

--- End quote ---
Why?

JimH:
In AndrewFG's signature, he has a tool that might help:
Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra

If you run it, you will find out what the capabilities of the Renderer are.  They aren't always as advertised.

The DLNA standard doesn't include support for all formats.  You're on the edge with what you're trying to do.

I'm confused about the role of minimserver.  Please describe

1.  Your objective

2.  Your setup

If you're trying to play to a DLNA Renderer, MC can do that.  Import the files first, then turn on Media Network.  Then select the device you want to play to.

In MC's DLNA Server settings, you can specify the formats you want.  It's under Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

kr4:

--- Quote from: JimH on January 25, 2016, 01:51:01 am ---In AndrewFG's signature, he has a tool that might help:
Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra

If you run it, you will find out what the capabilities of the Renderer are.  They aren't always as advertised.
--- End quote ---
Thanks, I will try that.

--- Quote ---The DLNA standard doesn't include support for all formats.  You're on the edge with what you're trying to do.
--- End quote ---
Yes and I have the bruises to prove it.

--- Quote ---I'm confused about the role of minimserver.  Please describe
1.  Your objective
2.  Your setup
If you're trying to play to a DLNA Renderer, MC can do that.  Import the files first, then turn on Media Network.  Then select the device you want to play to.
In MC's DLNA Server settings, you can specify the formats you want.  It's under Options > Media Network > Add or Configure DLNA Servers.

--- End quote ---
OK.  
1.  I am trying to use an Ethernet renderer capable of up to 4xDSD and 32/383kHz PCM at up to 8channels.  Directly through its USB port, MC works just fine with it.  I am having issues using it as a network audio player.
2.  Files on NAS, MC 21 running on i7/Win7 PC and with various DACs and renderers connectable via HDMI, USB and ethernet.  I can use S/PDIF, but that won't cut it for hi def and/or multichannel.  Everything is hard-wired via gigabit network.

The manufacturer of the DAC/network audio player recommends minimserver on the NAS and a controller (in this case MC) for UPnP, but they also support NAA protocol.  I have tried this and using MC alone.
A.  I created a new MC library with minimserver as the target and it sees all my PCM and DSD files but not the ISOs.  I can use MC to send them to the network player in PCM or DSD and in multichannel.  The only drawbacks to this are (1) it doesn't see the ISOs (and I have a lot of them) and (2) minimserver doesn't see all the formatting and metadata work that I have already lavished on my main MC library.
B.  When I try to use MC's DLNA as an output to the network player, it works in PCM (no DSD) and multichannel.  However, the channel routing is flakey in that 5.1 files are fine but 5.0 files redistribute the channels because of the missing LFE channel.  The result is that LS plays on the subwoofer, RS plays on the LS speaker and the RS speaker is silent.

JimH:
Well, I don't think it could get more complicated.  Just a few thoughts.  Maybe some will help.

You can move channels around in MC's DSP Studio.

See if you can get it working at all without minimserver.  Loading the library from a DLNA server like minimserver isn't ideal.

Use MC as the DLNA Server, and import the files from the NAS drive.

I told you about modifying the DLNA Server settings, but I don't know whether you've tried that.

Andrew's tool will certainly help.

When you're using DLNA, you can think of the playback as a file transfer to the Renderer.  MC will send whatever your Controller tells the Renderer to play.  Unless MC thinks the Renderer can't play it.  DSD is a stretch for DLNA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version