INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request: Additional Radio related Media Sub-type?  (Read 2186 times)

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Request: Additional Radio related Media Sub-type?
« on: November 10, 2015, 05:47:27 am »

Is it possible to ask for an additional Media Sub-type to be included in MC? I don't believe I can create new ones myself. . .

I'm looking for another one alongside 'Radio'; something like 'Radio Station' or 'Internet Radio' or looking at the other end of the telescope 'Radio Recording' or something like that?

I'd like to separate my 'live' radio station links from my 'dead' radio recordings (that aren't podcasts) with a Media Sub Type if that's possible.

Cheers

Spike

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Request: Additional Radio related Media Sub-type?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 05:58:52 am »

It receives special treatment, so the answer is "no".

You could set up a custom tag for that purpose.

Spike1000

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 06:14:53 am »

It receives special treatment, so the answer is "no".

You could set up a custom tag for that purpose.

No worries. Will work around it.

Cheers

Neil

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 07:35:56 am »

You haven't outlined exactly how you want to use this, or all of the different kinds of songs you want to classify this way.  So this answer may not be precise, but it should give you some ideas:

Genre is a decent tag for this.  Since it's a list type, you could assign a "live" genre if that made sense.  Or some other name that's more descriptive or precise.

Keywords are super, super powerful!  I don't use them for audio, but this might be a case where keywords for audio make sense.  You could very easily add Internet Radio, or some other keyword to these files.  Several keywords in fact.

As Jim mentioned, if this is more of a unique property, then you could make a new custom field instead.  Based on what little I know, I don't think that's necessary or beneficial.  But maybe.

Brian.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 01:00:17 pm »

You haven't outlined exactly how you want to use this, or all of the different kinds of songs you want to classify this way.  So this answer may not be precise, but it should give you some ideas:

Genre is a decent tag for this.

That's what I'd use for this purpose.

[Media Sub Type] = Radio
[Genre] = Live or Archive
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 02:26:15 pm »

That's what I'd use for this purpose.

[Media Sub Type] = Radio
[Genre] = Live or Archive

I would save genre for it's traditional use - classical, jazz etc.  I have live Internet radio for classical, folk, jazz and oldies. And I have archived Internet radio for jazz and classical. If genre is live or archive, where does jazz or classical go? It seems like Live or Archive should go into another tag, not into Genre.  A custom tag is probably the cleanest solution.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 02:58:24 pm »

Yeah. I almost added, if you are going to use Genre for those types of categories on those files, then making a [Radio Type] field would be better.

In my case, usually, if [Media Sub Type] is something other than Music, TV Show, or Movie then [Genre] is typically unused.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Spike1000

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 03:17:01 am »

Once again some great options there. Thanks for your contributions.

My request for an additional sub-type was based on the idea that it might be a simple fix in MC and I felt radio 'options' were a bit under-represented in the sub-type list  :)

Turns out that it's not a simple fix so that's not a problem. I had been riding on the back of  the Genre option as it's not really applicable to radio, but as pointed out is not really the best solution.

Custom field(s) is/are the best solution but they need a bit more thought as they can have knock on effects to existing smartlists and filters as they may need re-working to reflect the changes to the way the database fields are used.

Cheers

Spike
Pages: [1]   Go Up