INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with music stored on hard disk being properly displayed  (Read 2983 times)

jnahman

• Recent member

I have ripped a cd, which is stored on my external drive in a single folder when viewed in Windows Explorer (Win7) or inside MC. The album, however, is displayed as two separate albums in MC. One album contains tracks 1,3, 4, 5, 9-13, 16-18. The other has tracks 2, 6, 7, 14, 19, 20. Track 8 is missing although lives in the same folder. I recently wanted to burn a cd for my car and cannot find a way to have MC burn all tracks (including the missing track 8 ). Any ideas?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problems with music stored on hard disk being properly displayed
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 10:36:00 am »

Is the album a compilation of multiple artists?  If so, you need to set the [Album Artist] tag to some value that's the same for all files in the album.  Details:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_%28Auto%29

If it's a "regular" album, you might have the [Artist] or [Album] field set to different values for some of the tracks.  Try highlighting some of the tracks that are appearing separately and open the tagging window (edit > tag).  Then look at the [Album] and [Artist] fields.  If either of them say "varies" then they have different values for the selected files.

In doing this investigation, it might be smart to look at this with a files view:  Audio > Files.  That way you can see all of the tracks together at once.

Brian.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:26 pm »

I have ripped a cd, which is stored on my external drive in a single folder when viewed in Windows Explorer (Win7) or inside MC. The album, however, is displayed as two separate albums in MC. One album contains tracks 1,3, 4, 5, 9-13, 16-18. The other has tracks 2, 6, 7, 14, 19, 20. Track 8 is missing although lives in the same folder. I recently wanted to burn a cd for my car and cannot find a way to have MC burn all tracks (including the missing track 8 ). Any ideas?

It would help if you described the view or playlist you are looking at.

If you are using a view like Artist/Album, what you see depends on the contents of the Artist, Album Artist and Album tags.  Take a look at the tags for the Track 1 file and then for the Track 2 file. 

If you ripped the CD recently, you should be able to see the corresponding files in the Recently Riped playlist (including the Track 8 file.)

jnahman

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 11:41:27 am »

Thank you for your suggestions. I was in album view. I found that the four odd ones did not have the album artist listed whereas the other ones did. Now when I try to burn, I still lose tracks 19 and 20 even though they are now listed in as part of a single album. Looking at the tags for 19/20 vs the rest, there is nothing that doesn't match except the song title and track number as expected. Any other ideas or suggestions? Again, thanks...this solves my problem for many albums (I think..I will now try to clean them up too.) I am working in the Audio-files view.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 12:30:47 pm »

Thank you for your suggestions. I was in album view. I found that the four odd ones did not have the album artist listed whereas the other ones did. Now when I try to burn, I still lose tracks 19 and 20 even though they are now listed in as part of a single album. Looking at the tags for 19/20 vs the rest, there is nothing that doesn't match except the song title and track number as expected. Any other ideas or suggestions? Again, thanks...this solves my problem for many albums (I think..I will now try to clean them up too.) I am working in the Audio-files view.

It may be a different problem.  As usual, more details about the process you followed would help. 

I haven't burned an audio CD in years and maybe never with JRiver but others may be able to help.

jnahman

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 01:14:36 pm »

More details would help..I agree. Unfortunately, I've been ripping for a long time and don't recall how I ripped the album in question. Generally, and I just posted another question about ripping and structure, I rip on a laptop, saving the data to my C drive. I then move the the files to an external drive which is later connected to a dedicated laptop. My problems seem to be the same on both laptops. I cannot find any reason why I can't see the last two cuts when I want to burn but can see them in the file view, I can play them through MC, can see them in windows explorer (same folder) but just can't add them to the burn list.

One last question on tags, If an artist is listed by himself ( Micheal Hedges) under Artist, and on another cut listed as "Michael Manning with Michael Hedges", the album gets split. Is there a way to keep the artists as they are listed but have MC treat the album as one and not display it as two?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 02:53:27 pm »

More details would help..I agree. Unfortunately, I've been ripping for a long time and don't recall how I ripped the album in question. Generally, and I just posted another question about ripping and structure, I rip on a laptop, saving the data to my C drive. I then move the the files to an external drive which is later connected to a dedicated laptop. My problems seem to be the same on both laptops. I cannot find any reason why I can't see the last two cuts when I want to burn but can see them in the file view, I can play them through MC, can see them in windows explorer (same folder) but just can't add them to the burn list.

One last question on tags, If an artist is listed by himself ( Micheal Hedges) under Artist, and on another cut listed as "Michael Manning with Michael Hedges", the album gets split. Is there a way to keep the artists as they are listed but have MC treat the album as one and not display it as two?

My comments in my last post were about your problem with Tracks 19 and 20 not being included when you burned a CD.  If Tracks 19 and 20 are listed as part of the album in MC along with the other tracks, this is a different problem.More details about the process you followed when you burned the CD would help.

If this is primarily a Michael Hedges album, try putting that value in the Album Artist tag.  I create my own views and never rely on the Album Artist mechanism or a compilation tag so I'm not the best authority on albums with multiple artists using standard views.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 02:56:32 pm »

I cannot find any reason why I can't see the last two cuts when I want to burn but can see them in the file view, I can play them through MC, can see them in windows explorer (same folder) but just can't add them to the burn list.

I've never burned a CD with MC, so I can't help directly but...  Go to the Albums view.  Do you see your album, with all 20 tracks, as one album?  Or are there still a few cuts off by themselves as a separate album.  I'm asking this specifically because you said you are in a FILES view, and that view does not respect album grouping.

Because I love Michael Hedges, I'll give you extra attention on this.  Even though this question is answered in the link I provided above!  :)  The answer is to fill out the [Album Artist] tag for ALL songs in that album with the same value.  If it's mostly Michael Hedges (and not a compilation) then I would make [Album Artist]=Michael Hedges.  That should group the album altogether.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up