INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dff and dsf size for stereo and multi-channel  (Read 3970 times)

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
dff and dsf size for stereo and multi-channel
« on: November 14, 2015, 03:08:43 pm »

Hi all.

I have a lot of ISO files from my SACDs that I had someone with a PS3 rip for me.  I also have a ton of FLAC files from DVD-A and BDA discs I've ripped.  I like the idea of separate files per track and was playing with sacd_extract to split the ISOs into DFF or DSF files.  From what I've read, the advantage of DSF is that it has tag field support so the files would be more portable and not rely on the MC database (at least for most info).  Is that still the case?

Also, when I've split SACDs that were only stereo, the DFF/DSF files totaled to about the same size as the ISO.  However, with multi-channel, the split files are about double the size of the ISO.  What's going on?  I guess DSF isn't as smart as ISO/MLP for compression.  Any info/tips/etc on this topic?

I put this topic under Devices/PCs since it's not about any specific version of MC (I'm using 21 for Mac).  I've found similar topics under many different MC-version-specific forums which makes them hard to find and continue threads.

David

Pkartti

• Recent member
Re: dff and dsf size for stereo and multi-channel
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 12:45:44 pm »

Hi
To my understanding (most if not all) multichannel SACDs are compressed as they are on the disc. This is to allow the disc to contain both the multichannel and stereo variants of the music, as the max size of the SACD disc is limited.
When you split the ISO to tracs, the sacd_extract performs also the unzipping of the compression. I do no remember whether it is by default or command line option used, as it is some time since I used it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up