INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: looking for reset all setting like fresh install  (Read 6812 times)

R-ed

• Recent member
looking for reset all setting like fresh install
« on: November 16, 2015, 12:51:40 am »

I'm looking for reset function that can reset all setting on MC. I can't seem find it anywhere. When I do a lot of changing for testing, sometimes I want to back to default setting. I want to achive this without having re-install MC. If there is, please tell me how to do that. thanks :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: looking for reset all setting like fresh install
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:11:36 am »

I'm looking for reset function that can reset all setting on MC. I can't seem find it anywhere. When I do a lot of changing for testing, sometimes I want to back to default setting. I want to achive this without having re-install MC. If there is, please tell me how to do that. thanks :)

I'm pretty sure "File/Library/Clear Library" from the top menu resets everything back to the defaults. Maybe there are a few things left, but you should try that to see if it does want you want.

If not, create a new library by right clicking on the "Playing from [current library name]" under "Playing Now" in the left navigation bar, then select "Add Library". The new library will have all default settings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:10 am »

Clear Library won't reset everything.  That clears the Library but not Settings (things in Options).

Uninstall, and check both boxes.  Then reinstall.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 04:29:26 pm »

I stand corrected then. I guess I didn't think about settings in the registry and so on.

So, to be clear, is there a difference between Clearing a library, and creating a new library? I have done both to start fresh for testing stuff, but haven't investigated in detail. I know you play around with libraries a lot more than me!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:48:32 pm »

There are basically two places that MC stores "settings":

* Library
* Settings (aka registry entries)

The differences between these are covered in the Library Backup article on the Wiki:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

If you want to clear both, then the easiest way is to run through the uninstall wizard. During that process, you can choose to remove either or both:

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:05:31 pm »

Excellent.

So if R-ed backed up a fresh library immediately after doing an uninstall/reinstall, then later a Restore could be used to restore both the clean library and the settings. That has got to be easier than doing an uninstall/reinstall every time. As long as the Restore does restore all registry settings, and doesn't leave any settings untouched.

Thanks Glynor.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »

i have saved a empty libary backup with all my settings just for this purpose
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 10:43:10 pm »

So if R-ed backed up a fresh library immediately after doing an uninstall/reinstall, then later a Restore could be used to restore both the clean library and the settings. That has got to be easier than doing an uninstall/reinstall every time. As long as the Restore does restore all registry settings, and doesn't leave any settings untouched.

Yeah, if you'd ever need to do such a thing, that'd work.

The machine specific registry settings (HKLM) aren't written in the Library Backup, but you have no reason to reset those (they're created on install or first launch anyway, and have no impact on anything user adjustable or useful).

R-ed

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 06:40:27 am »

thanks all for the answer, that really help me :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up