INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Get Movie info doesn't change Movie name on auto import  (Read 2255 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Get Movie info doesn't change Movie name on auto import
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »

I've got some directories configured for auto import.  When I put movies there, MC sees them and does "Get Movie and TV info" on them automatically as they are imported.  I see cover art, and FULL details pulled from the movie database.  But it doesn't change the name to be the same as the "official" name of the movie that the movie database uses.

This is most evident on things like the Star Wars movies.  I name a file:  The Phantom Menace.mkv.  It is auto imported, looks up EVERYTHING and populates all of the fields.  But the name stays "The Phantom Menace".  If I then manually run Get Movie and TV info, the Name gets updated to:  Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace .

I think I want this to happen automatically.  Is there a good reason that it doesn't?  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
Re: Get Movie info doesn't change Movie name on auto import
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »

Existing info like Name isn't overwritten from automatic import on purpose, as long as it comes from a file tag, iirc.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »

^ Ok... but that's inconsistent isn't it?  Because Get Movie and TV info *does* overwrite the name if you run it manually.  This isn't a big complaint.  I'm just trying to understand how it works, what I can do with it, and how it was intended to be used.

Brian.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 04:22:12 pm »

Its intentional that manual and automatic behave different regarding overwriting existing info.
You might have some auto-tagging rules setup for auto-import, and overwriting those from GM&TV would be counter-productive.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 04:48:47 pm »

If you look back at some of the original discussion threads about the feature, you'll see why.  I don't remember all of the examples, but I can think of at least two:

[Name] in particular can be an indicator that the lookup went wrong, but only if it doesn't get cleared (in which case you may never notice). As an example, say you import a file that is named "Bourne I", referring to The Bourne Identity and using a roman numeral I to indicate that.  The lookup on TMDB for "Bourne I" actually spits out The Bourne Legacy (which is the 4th movie in the series).

If [Name] got auto-set on Import, you'd have no chance to see and notice the discrepancy unless you looked at the Filename.  And, if you just trusted the lookup to be right (as I often do) you might have already applied RMCF, so you'd be even more lost once you tried to watch it.

Another example is explicit naming.  For example, I have my Harry Potter films carefully labeled like this: Harry Potter 3 - The Prisoner of Azkaban. That way they auto-sort in my Movies view in the right order. When I ripped the BluRays, I named the files appropriately. Lookup works on these kinds of names, but the movie title is actually "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (with no indicator of order).  So, if it changed [Name] on auto-import, I'd have to go back and manually fix all of these every time they were imported.  As it is, it "just works".

Leaving the [Name] field auto-filled (by tags, or by Carnac's usual parsing) is just plain safer. Fixing it, if you do want the name provided by TMDB or TVDB, is a simple matter of running the tool again manually.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 04:52:32 pm »

Another example is explicit naming.  For example, I have my Harry Potter films carefully labeled like this: Harry Potter 3 - The Prisoner of Azkaban. That way they auto-sort in my Movies view in the right order. When I ripped the BluRays, I named the files appropriately. Lookup works on these kinds of names, but the movie title is actually "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (with no indicator of order).  So, if it changed [Name] on auto-import, I'd have to go back and manually fix all of these every time they were imported.  As it is, it "just works".

I have a special sort column for those so I can use the original names from TMDB. Filling manually not so much fun, but fixes my OCD about such things. :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »

Yeah. I've fixed it before using [Series] and [Episode] before too, and making my views display an auto-filled replacement for [Name], but that takes time and effort to maintain, so I generally don't bother.

I do still use [Episode] for some things, but for most I don't bother and just manually tag [Name].
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 05:01:56 pm »

I suppose all of those arguments make sense.  Plus I just tested and you can do batch lookups (select many files) of Get Movie and TV info and it *still* overwrites the name.  So that behavior works if that's what I want to do (automatically change names).

I use the [Series] tag for movie series.  But I haven't established a way to order those movies properly.  [Episode] would be the logical choice I think.  But I normally sort in a weird way (by import/create date), so that wouldn't work until I changed my sorting.  Or built a view specifically to show Movies series ordered properly.  Which I can do.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up