INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lost tagging data - restore MC library  (Read 2398 times)

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
lost tagging data - restore MC library
« on: November 24, 2015, 04:18:18 am »

situation:
MC20
MC library on NAS with several PC's using it.

I did a tremendous lot of work last weeks especially the last 2 days by tagging audio files. yesterday evening MC crashed (I think it had something to do with minimizing the window to have 2 windows on my screen, but I'm not sure).
this morning MC started normally but all work of last weeks was lost.
I restored the latest backup, but still 1 day of work lost.
Yesterday evening I also did some tag changes for movies on another PC. I checked the audio tags and they were complete on that PC, also the latest changes.
Since there was a more recent backup on that PC I restored that one. no result, still one PC with all tags, while the other one was still missing the tags.
I restored the backup of the correct PC on the other PC and then all tags were visible again.
I understand that, doing this restore, I also restored some specific settings to that PC (such as start up in theater view).
what I don't understand is that, since the MC library is located on the NAS, TAG's are not restored and that even before the restore the tag's were different on both PC's.
thanks
AddyV

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: lost tagging data - restore MC library
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:21 am »

forgive me if I misunderstood, and don't mean to sound patronizing if you know this already, but first off at present JRiver is not supported with a library installed on a NAS running as the media server (there is a project going on with QNAP, but its not up and running yet I think) -- if you have gotten it to work you have been lucky  ;D

Now if this is just semantics and you are meaning that your media files are on the NAS and referring to them as you library that is something else. Also the NAS is running more like a shared external drive rather than a server.

Normally (not always, but ...) you have your NAS with the media files AND one PC running all the time (or preferably "wake-on LANed"). This PC would run Media Server, retaining the library (this is the one you backup and restore) and your other PCs act as clients (which loads the server PC's library - usually on start-up). Every install has its own "local" library (which I find confusing at is always called "Main"), but you would not be using this generally. You can tag/playback/control from any client via the "server" PC (not client to client though), and you are updating/syncing the PC running media server's library.  Modifying views on the media server PC will be loaded onto the clients once the are rebooted and the library reloaded.

If however you actually have multiple libraries, on purpose (like you have multiple storage machines) that's something different again, but it sounds like everything is on the one NAS .. so you probably want to /need to consolidate to one if this is the case.

Not wanting to confuse the issue, maybe you can confirm how your network and JRiver are set-up and if by chance you actually have the JRiver library running off the NAS or not and we can take it from there?  Otherwise I really can't give you an answer. Probably your library to restore is not where it should be, but I'm not sure  :) The MC Library to be restored should be the backup off the PC that is running media server, most of the time on an SSD that the OS is installed on.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:03:29 am »

if by chance your media files are on the nas and JRiver is installed correctly on each pc, look under- tools>options>general>Importing & Tagging   there is a checkable box that says Update tags when file info changes, make sure this is checked on all pc's

also check tools>options>library & folders>(click on) configure auto import  check towards the bottom of the box that opens and make sure  Update for external changes is checked on all pc's and just to be safe down the road uncheck Ignore files previously removed from library....now be careful checking or unchecking other boxes here until your familiar with the consequences

and after you have tagged and made changes to your files always always make MC make a backup, do this for all pc's.

don't expect to see changes on other pc's immediately, some times it take a bit but surely not a half hour and some times you need to close MC wait 2-3 mins and reopen. you can always force MC to look for updates!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Arindelle

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:02:07 pm »

and after you have tagged and made changes to your files always always make MC make a backup, do this for all pc's.

don't expect to see changes on other pc's immediately, some times it take a bit but surely not a half hour and some times you need to close MC wait 2-3 mins and reopen. you can always force MC to look for updates!
still waiting to see how the op configured his set-up, but if its a standard one, (ie clients loading from one server PC), I'd say  the only important backup is the one one the PC running Media server, isn't it? (normally, but not always, there is only going to be one instance running).

to make sure the tags are written immediately and are visible to other clients is from the main menu Library=>Sync changes w/ Library Server from the client(s). This might not write to the NAS immediately but will transfer the tag changes to the principal library media server library so they will show up, can be backed-up etc. Usually this is not necessary, but I find it good if you are spending lots of time tagging an individual album.
Pages: [1]   Go Up