INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tidal via DLNA - is it possible?  (Read 12063 times)

crenca

• Recent member
Tidal via DLNA - is it possible?
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:30:25 pm »

I found this thread and was wondering if it was still relevant:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=94273.0

Basically, I want to use JRiver to send a Tidal stream to my new Marantz (an NR1506) in the living room.  Is it possible, or is DLNA not capable (or is it a DRM thing?)?  My efforts so far have proved fruitless...

jkauff

• World Citizen
Re: Tidal via DLNA - is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 10:56:31 pm »

What are your audio settings for the Marantz DLNA Server in Media Center? Can you play other FLAC files via DLNA on the Marantz?

crenca

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 09:38:49 am »

What are your audio settings for the Marantz DLNA Server in Media Center? Can you play other FLAC files via DLNA on the Marantz?

Yep, The Marantz "sees" the JRiver DLNA server and all it's content (and I do mean all of it) excepting whatever Windows is currently sending to the WDM driver.  I say "current" because the Marantz actually has a "last played" section under audio that will list the WDM stream when you stopped it (but since it is not current it does you no good).

Is anyone successfully DLNA'ing (to coin a term) content being played through the WDM driver in JRiver?  If so, I suppose it is a limitation of my Marantz (or perhaps my ineptitude with JRiver settings).  However, if I am reading the above thread I linked (and others) it's more a limitation of DLNA, DRM, and this whole "we will control how you use our product" attitude that keeps me from even purchasing DVD/Blueray movies these days...

crenca

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 11:03:01 am »

For those interested, BubbleUPnP is the solution.  Not JRiver specific, though interestingly JRiver shows the stream and the accompanying artwork, etc.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

Currently MC can only push local files via UPNP / DLNA.

I think that JRiver has already considered adding the capability to push remote streams (essentially repushing / proxying the remote stream onwards to a UPNP renderer). This certainly would be doable, although there are also some limitations too, since a) some parts of the UPNP mechanics are optimised for finite length streams, and some renderers might choke on infinite length streams, b) they would have to find a solution to provide some kind of proxy metadata, and c) they would need to rejig the Pause, Play, and Seek commands because of the differences between a local file and a remote stream.

I think this could be a valuable feature request for a new version, although obviously it is not sufficient for MC just to be able to physically push a remote stream, because MC would also need to provide a proper browsing interface that allows the user to easily select which stream they want to push.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up