INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Woa!  Where is the No Skins option!?  (Read 3069 times)

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Woa!  Where is the No Skins option!?
« on: September 02, 2003, 11:12:39 pm »

I really, really hope I am just blind and have totally missed this option.  Where can I disable skins in the latest beta version of MC9?

One of the MAIN reasons why I chose MC9 is that is is one of the very few skinned applications that takes into account that not all of us like software that looks "unusual."

If I have simply missed this setting, I apologize for the post; if the setting has actually been taken away, then please reconsider.  The OPTION to have no skins was an amazing exercise in common sense :)

jleerigby

Re: Woa!  Where is the No Skins option!?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 11:40:51 pm »

You haven't missed it.  There is no such option in 9.1.  This has been discussed a few times in the last couple of months.  Don't despair though 'cos there are some skins for 9.1 that have been written specifically for those that don't like skins.  I'm not sure whether they have all been updated to the latest beta but if not you could always bump the thread and put in a request.

Here is the link to the links:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1060186971

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 11:57:58 pm »

This is absolutely TERRIBLE news  :'(

I looked at the the skins for those of us who hate skins; (I do hope you see the paradox in that very premise.)  The inherent problem with skins is they are static, they do not match the rest of the OS when one chooses to alter the color, size, highlights, etc of the primary 3D objects.  However, all of this is irrelevant; I have uninstalled MC9.

This brings me to my important point.  Under version 9.0180, the Nomad Zen is still crashing when trying to delete a single track from the Zen (if necessary, please refer to my original post on this matter), even when using the latest plugin (.22)  It works fine under the latest Beta version of MC9, but since the OPTION for no skins has been taken away from us, could you please fully fix the plugin for the Zen?  I have zero intention to upgrade to a skinned application that makes it mandatory to go seeking skins just to have a GUI I don't hate so much, so it would be nice to have a working plugin for the Nomad Zen under version 9.0 of MC9.

Thank you very much for looking into the Zen problem, and I do apologize for the rant; it has just been terribly dissappointing to have spent so much time finding an alternative to idiotic-looking software like the PlayCenter from Creative and MusicMatch, only to have that alternative turn into the very thing I was trying to avoid : mandatory skins :(

Veazer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 02:48:09 am »

...Don't despair though 'cos there are some skins for 9.1 that have been written specifically for those that don't like skins...

I don't mind the look of the skins, they look great. I am bothered by performance degredation. The solutions you noted simply skin MC in a way to make it appear as if it wasn't skinned. The performance hit is still there.

@WendtCreations: How funny you used the term 'mandatory skins'. Note the reaction I received by considering them mandatory:
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1058790735;start=37#37

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Woa!  Where is the No Skins o
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 03:20:40 am »

it has just been terribly dissappointing to have spent so much time finding an alternative to idiotic-looking software like the PlayCenter from Creative and MusicMatch, only to have that alternative turn into the very thing I was trying to avoid : mandatory skins

Welcome to the club. :) Unfortunatley, there's only about 3 or 4 of us here. Everyone else seems to think skins are kewl! I install a 9.1 beta every so often and use it for a couple of weeks, but keep going back to 9.0.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 08:26:00 am »

The default windows GUI is a look that's been dictated to you by Microsoft. For some reason, people don't have a problem with that. Try to offer some alternatives, however...

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 08:51:09 am »

>> The default windows GUI is a look that's been dictated to you by Microsoft. For some reason, people don't have a problem with that. Try to offer some alternatives, however...

This is false logic:

One, the windows GUI is highly customizable, and that customization is carried over to all applications, except skinned ones.  However, how would you feel if Microsoft took away the ability of having third party software be skinned?

Two, the key here is that now skins are a mandatory "choice" in MC9.  Notice how I have never posted about skins before prior to this version, which took my ability to turn them off away.

Three, Esthetics is only one of the reasons why some of us dislike skins.  As previously mentioned, there is a performance hit, however small on some machines, when programs use skins to emulate a standard look.

Four, the Windows GUI does not exhibit these same redraw problems of the actual interface.  Example: I can drag PhotoShop across my screen with a 100MB file open in it, and the application redraws its interface without trouble.  Try the same thing in MusicMatch, while a song is playing, and suddenly I have interface issues in terms of redraw.  For better or worse, the Windows GUI is built into the shell, and it WORKS well.

Five, why take the OPTION away?  Your very own sentence says, "Try to offer some alternatives"  In this case, an alternative was taken away, not offered.  Having NO skins WAS an alternative.  We are not asking that YOU be deprived of the option of using skins; it is great that you can, but we would like the same consideration in being able to NOT use them.

Macavity

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 09:33:57 am »

I have to agree...I actually use an application to completely revamp my WinXP screens, and am disappointed when one of my favorite apps, MC9.1, doesn't honor my viewing preferences.

LisaRCT

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 09:46:21 am »

We have been through this discussion several times already.  The 'powers that be' have spoken, this is how it is and how it will stay.  I am sure they have their reasons.
They have shown repeatedly that they do what they can to please the users, so in this case there obviously must be some overriding cause giving them priorities beyond what you are seeing here.  While I cannot cite these or give evidence of increased overall benefit, I think if you look at the larger picture you will come to see that they have found the gains to outweigh the compromises.  
Also, remember that all may not be evident as of yet, they have alluded to some major advances comming in future releases . . . I plan to stay tuned and play along.
So far these folks have not failed us.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 09:48:08 am »

this is not a debatable subject, and it does nothing doing so.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

WendtCreations

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 09:51:52 am »

I agree that this debate is futile, and I have no issue with a moderator closing the thread if they so wish.  In this post and in my Zen post, I am attempting to resolve my Plugin issue with the Nomad Zen under version 9.0180 of MC9.

I do get that JRiver has made a decision on this matter.  I am one of the few who will not follow beyond version 9.0180, and I am just hoping that the last version of MC9 that I will personally own can be made to work properly with my hardware:)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2003, 09:59:51 am »

System drawing is very restraining.  To achieve the usability and feature set we wanted from MC 9.1 we had to move away from it.  It's not just about "kewl".  Sorry there isn't a better answer.

Hopefully you'll still go out with her even if you don't like her outfit.

(p.s. some hardware will only be supported with MC 9.1)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up