INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Organizing Photos  (Read 2723 times)

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
Organizing Photos
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:06:36 pm »

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to catalog my photo collection. My audio and video files are all in MC - I'm thinking my photos should be too. I've added the folders to auto-import and everything is now in MC.

I understand tagging and am planning on do this, but what is the best way to not bring back EVERY photo (including every little bit of cover art for my very large MP3 collection) whenever I am trying to scan my collection.

There also seem to be limitations viewing photos from Gizmo or JRemote - is there something I am missing?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

la·zy [ley-zee] - Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.
au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Organizing Photos
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:09:50 am »

I don't think is there is a "best way" to catalog photos.
I set my folder structure like this Date(Year)>Event or Location. So I have folder named "2014" and then subfolders "vacation" and "holidays" and "projects", etc. (number of subfolders varies depending on number of activities in the year). Then I can view as a slide-show in Theater View by selecting folders such as "2010 Vacation" or "2010 Christmas", etc.

This works for me as I don't take a lot of photos, but may not work for everyone. I know there is at least one professional photographer on this forum, perhaps he has a better way.

I don't tag my photos. I just put them is the relevant folder.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 10:14:30 am »

I understand tagging and am planning on do this, but what is the best way to not bring back EVERY photo (including every little bit of cover art for my very large MP3 collection) whenever I am trying to scan my collection.

If you don't want to see your cover art photos in your images area, set up auto import to exclude those directories.  You should have your photos in their own set of directories, which you probably do.  So, set up auto import to only import Image types in your photo folder(s).  In your music folder(s) tell auto import to ONLY import audio types and not images.  That way they stay separated.

Brian.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
Re:
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 10:24:31 pm »

Would that screw up my cover art? I do keep photos in a separated directory.
LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

au·to·ma·tion [aw-tuh-mey-shuh n] - The automatic operation or control of equipment, a process, or a system.

)p(

Re:
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 12:36:38 am »

Would that screw up my cover art? I do keep photos in a separated directory.

No it won't.

When you do have other image files in your jrmc database then you can in your photo views limit what is shown to the folders with photos.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:09 am »

I take some 2-3000 photos a year, and pile all photos from one year into x:\Pictures\2015\ folder. Then I tag (often bulk tag) photos either in MC or in File Explorer (Win 10) with a few relevant meta-data. In Windows Explorer, its called Tags, which is interpreted in JRiver as Keywords. Semicolon separated.
Then you have a great starting point for sorting and grouping photos in MC.

It is a bit time consuming, and i do a lot of metadata fiddling and improvement, but for a new set of photos, I rarely spend more than 5 min tagging them.

GadgetBoy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 09:14:36 am »

I take a lot of photos as well and have been dumping them into folders throughout the years with no rhyme or reason. I also know I have significant amounts of duplicates accumulated over the years. I feel like I need to get something moving on this.

I have incorporated Evernote into my life over the past few years and am very familiar with tagging and would like to try to carry that over to my photo collection. I'd like to tag my photos and then start rating them so I have access to the photos I like more quickly (as I have done so with my music collection). Just by importing my photos into MC recently has helped me find a number of pics and videos I believed were lost.

Separately, I tried printing some photos from MC over the weekend. I tried to print from a laptop connected to a remote media server and ran into some troubles with the printing never starting. There should be no difference between printing from a client instance of MC vs. from the server instance, correct?

As far as the import, is the suggestion perhaps to re-import my music/video/photo collection and adjust the auto-import settings to focus on certain directories? It sounds like that would be easier than trying to clean everything up. All my media is structured as:

\music (90-95% of my music collection sits here)
\music2 (this directory basically includes all "straggler" mp3's that I don't have the entire album of)
\Videos (cartoons, funny videos, TV shows and music videos)
\Movies (all ripped movies)
\Photos (my entire photo collectio)

So I would auto-import folders \music and \music2 to only import music, \Videos and \Movies to only import movie files and \Photos to only import image type files?

Does that make sense?

Thanks,
Jim

LazyAutomtion
www.lazyautomation.com

CountryBumkin

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 10:23:26 am »

That's how I do it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up