INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Problems - OS X 10.11.1 and Panasonic TV  (Read 5015 times)

jamms

• Recent member
DLNA Problems - OS X 10.11.1 and Panasonic TV
« on: November 29, 2015, 06:45:30 am »

Hi,

I've searched the forums but can't find any help on trying to fix my problem, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know!

MC 21.0.19 installed on OS X El Capitan, MC 21.0.23 on Windows 10.

MC on Windows works fine as DLNA server, and can be seen by my Panasonic Viera TV, as well as VLC DLNA client on MacBook running El Capitan.
MC on iMac running El Capitan CANNOT be seen by my Panasonic Viera TV, but can be seen using VLC DLNA client on MacBook running El Capitan, and also can be seen on the Windows 10 MC box (in Explorer).

All devices are physically plugged in to same ethernet network and no devices have Firewalls enabled. Both JRiver MC DLNA servers have the same DLNA settings specified.

As both my Mac and Windows MC Servers have different content, getting the Mac MC to show up on my Panasonic is a bit of a deal breaker for me! Does anyone have any suggestions?!

James

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA Problems - OS X 10.11.1 and Panasonic TV
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 03:14:26 pm »

A few things to look at:

In Options / Media Network / Advanced, make sure all the DLNA servers are enabled (checked).

If you have the VLC program running as a DLNA device on the Mac, try disabling it, reboot the computer, and run Media Center again.  Multiple SSDP (discovery) servers running on the same computer may cause problems.

In MC's left view under "Services & Plug-ins", see if all the servers are running OK.  In particular, the SSDP server.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jamms

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 03:54:55 pm »

John,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here's the results:
1. All 3 checkboxes ticked (DLNA Server, Renderer, Controller)
2. VLC was running on MacBook, acting as a test client. I didn't run VLC on the Mac Server. Rebooted the Mac Server anyway, just to be on safe side...
3. All 6 servers running fine, esp. SSDP Server.

I can still only see the Windows MC on the Panasonic though... :(

Anything else I can try?

Jamms

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »

Hmm, maybe send us a log file.  There might be something helpful in it.

1. Help / Logging / Enable...
2. run Media Center for a while and turn on your Panasonic TV for a while (10 minutes)
3. Help / Logging / Send log...

jamms

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 02:15:43 am »

John,

I've sent you a PM about how to do this - let me know if you get / don't get it.

Thanks,

Jamms

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 06:47:29 am »

I (of course) don't have your PM, but the Logging Article has some suggestions on how to send logs even if they're large:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

jamms

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 02:55:09 pm »

Thanks for all your help guys, I solved the problem and it was a stinker...

Essentially, my Viera had two NIC's configured for my home network, my LAN and my Guest Wi-Fi network. Some time ago, my switch failed and I replaced it, but during the outage I had configured the Viera to use my Guest Wi-Fi network temporarily, which runs on a different VLAN to my LAN, for obvious reasons. You can't route between the VLAN's as I just want guests to use the internet. I had forgotten this, but re-discovered it when I checked the settings on the Viera before I sent the logs.

Now, because Mac's and PC's handle multi-homed networks differently (Mac in a Unix fashion, Windows in typical Windows fashion), Windows allows and can see hosts that have multi-homed NIC's (Windows allows multiple default gateways, Unix / Mac doesn't). I'm not quite sure if this was the main issue, but it could have been a factor.

However, what I think was happening was the Viera could see the Windows MC through the wired connection, but it could NOT see the Mac MC via the wired connection, as the Guest WI-Fi network was taking precedence for outbound traffic (multicast I guess) from the Viera. Because the Windows MC had been set up previously on the wired connection, the Viera still remembered its MAC address and sent traffic along the wire to it. But it could not see the MAC address of the Mac MC as it had no knowledge of it.

Hope this all makes sense, multi-homing is evil and has caused more network problems in my career than I've had hot dinners!

I'm sure I could crack out Wireshark and prove what was happening, but I'll save that for a rainy day - its fixed and thats the main thing.

Cheers,

Jamms

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 04:33:33 pm »

I'm glad you figured it out.  Definitely save the Wireshark tracing for a very dull, rainy day!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up