INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reindex of music library?  (Read 3311 times)

Oliverlim

• Recent member
Reindex of music library?
« on: December 07, 2015, 10:42:37 pm »

Is there a option to reindex your music library? Basically I would like JRiver MC21 to go though my files on my HDD and correlate it with its library and delete or reindex those missing or added files with the volume leveling option.

I need this due to my workflow of adding/deleting my music files. My main music library is in my HOME NAS.  I am still in the process of ripping all my CDs. So new CDs get added and I purchase digital version and add them here as well. Every once in a while, I will bring back my MC21 HDD drive home and "sync" the changes to the MC21 HDD.  When I get back to my office MC21 system, I am not sure how to get the new changes to be recognized on MC21. I am not sure if auto import is the way to get this done.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reindex of music library?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 07:02:34 am »

You could reimport all the files, and in "Library & Folders > Configure auto-import" set "Fix broken Links" to "Yes (protect network files)", and check the box to "Analyze Audio for Audio Files", and check the box for "Update for External changes".
But don't select all the files at the same time. To be safe just do a few at a time until your sure this is doing what you want.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 10:30:21 am »

Auto import should largely deal with added and removed files correctly.  I don't exactly trust the "remove dead links" feature, so I'd probably do that part manually.  It's quite easy to build a smartlist that shows missing files:

Custom:  [=ismissing()]=1

Your situation really is kind of a sync scenario.  You can actually use MC's Handheld Sync system to sync your home library with your office one.  You'd set up a handheld definition that has a target of the external drive where you keep the office library, when you plug it in at home.  Then, whenever you bring it home, just press Sync and it will add and delete anything that has changed on the home system since the last sync.

There's a trick here too:  Set up the playlist that drives the sync as an MPL format.  That will transfer everything over, including all custom metadata.  It might be overkill for your situation.  You probably still need to manually delete removed files (dead links) on the office system.  So I'm not sure if this is the best approach.  Just mentioning it as another way you might consider and experiment with.  Glynor introduced me to the idea in an old post of his and I found it really interesting.

Brian.

Oliverlim

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 08:30:21 pm »

Auto import should largely deal with added and removed files correctly.  I don't exactly trust the "remove dead links" feature, so I'd probably do that part manually.  It's quite easy to build a smartlist that shows missing files:

Custom:  [=ismissing()]=1

Your situation really is kind of a sync scenario.  You can actually use MC's Handheld Sync system to sync your home library with your office one.  You'd set up a handheld definition that has a target of the external drive where you keep the office library, when you plug it in at home.  Then, whenever you bring it home, just press Sync and it will add and delete anything that has changed on the home system since the last sync.

There's a trick here too:  Set up the playlist that drives the sync as an MPL format.  That will transfer everything over, including all custom metadata.  It might be overkill for your situation.  You probably still need to manually delete removed files (dead links) on the office system.  So I'm not sure if this is the best approach.  Just mentioning it as another way you might consider and experiment with.  Glynor introduced me to the idea in an old post of his and I found it really interesting.

Brian.

Thanks Brian. 

This is interesting. But probably alot of work. And I do not actually have or use MC21 in my home. I use my receiver/bluray player to play music files over my NAS at home. 

Its good to know that this is available thought for future integration!

Oliverlim

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 08:31:57 pm »

You could reimport all the files, and in "Library & Folders > Configure auto-import" set "Fix broken Links" to "Yes (protect network files)", and check the box to "Analyze Audio for Audio Files", and check the box for "Update for External changes".
But don't select all the files at the same time. To be safe just do a few at a time until your sure this is doing what you want.

Thanks. This probably works for me at this time. Does it then only do analyse audio for only the added files and not for all files again? That process takes a really long time. I will give it a run to see if it works as advertised...
Pages: [1]   Go Up