INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synch Device creating folders to mirror playlist names?  (Read 2560 times)

DOLOMITE73

• Recent member
Synch Device creating folders to mirror playlist names?
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:01:43 pm »

I recently bought an Alpine head unit for my car with USB . USB file playback is annoyingly limited to a max of 100 folders with max 100 songs per folder. Only search functions are folder or file name.
I set up smart lists named A, B - Z and used the rule builder to ensure they are populated with max 100 tracks, artist name starts with appropriate letter, rating 3+ stars.
So I end up with 26 playlists, each with 100 random songs.

All so far so good.

But here's the "how do I"..

How do I synch to the USB pen drive I want to use in the car so I get the playlist name as the Folder?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Synch Device creating folders to mirror playlist names?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 03:08:14 pm »

would setting up your USB key as a "vritual handheld" work for you?? maybe this would help? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync

DOLOMITE73

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »

would setting up your USB key as a "vritual handheld" work for you?? maybe this would help? http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync

hi, that's what I'm doing, and it synchs fine, but instead of a folder/file structure on the USB device of

A
 -Aerosmith - Mama Kin
 -Aerosmith - Simoriah
 -Afro-Celt SoundSystem - Amber
 -Afro Celt Sound System - Whirl-Y-Reel 1

B
 -Blondie - Die Young Stay Pretty
 -Blondie - X Offender
 -Buddy Holly - Brown Eyed Handsome Man
 -Buddy Holly - Rave On

etc, the best I can get is

Aerosmith
 -Aerosmith - Mama Kin
 -Aerosmith - Simoriah

Afro-Celt SoundSystem
 -Afro-Celt SoundSystem - Amber
 -Afro Celt Sound System - Whirl-Y-Reel 1

Blondie
 -Blondie - Die Young Stay Pretty
 -Blondie - X Offender

Buddy Holly
 -Buddy Holly - Brown Eyed Handsome Man
 -Buddy Holly - Rave On

No good as I will have way more than 100 artists.

Under the Handheld > Files & Paths I have tried a few options but can't get it to pick up and use the Playlist name and create it as the Folder on the device. Is this possible or can anyone think of different way of tackling it?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 03:37:14 pm »

The answer is a tiny bit ugly.  But I just tested it and it works.  It took me about 30 seconds to set it up, so it's not *that* ugly.  What you want to do is use the first letter of the Artist as the first directory entry in the directory structure.  So wouldn't it be nice if you could write it out like this? 

[Artist Letters]/[Album Artist (auto)]/[Album]/

You can enter expressions like that directly into handheld sync under Files Paths & More > Audio Path.

But where did this [Artist Letters] field come from?  It's not a stock field.  I created it.  It uses an expression to calculate it's value on the fly.  I stole the expression from Glynor.  Here's the big bad mama-jama expression:

Code: [Select]
Regex([Artist], /#^(?:(?:the|an|a) +)?(.)#/,-1)if(Compare(1[R1], >=, 10), 0 - 9, [R1])
Just put that in the calculated data box when you create your new [Artist Letters] field.  Then [Artist Letters] will be available for use anywhere in MC that uses expressions... including the handheld sync tool!  :)

If you need any help or more details, just ask and we'll try to get you fixed up.

Oh, and the posting from Glynor that I got the expression from:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92425.msg636370#msg636370

Brian.

DOLOMITE73

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 06:52:48 pm »

The answer is a tiny bit ugly.  But I just tested it and it works.  It took me about 30 seconds to set it up, so it's not *that* ugly.  What you want to do is use the first letter of the Artist as the first directory entry in the directory structure.  So wouldn't it be nice if you could write it out like this? 

[Artist Letters]/[Album Artist (auto)]/[Album]/

You can enter expressions like that directly into handheld sync under Files Paths & More > Audio Path.

But where did this [Artist Letters] field come from?  It's not a stock field.  I created it.  It uses an expression to calculate it's value on the fly.  I stole the expression from Glynor.  Here's the big bad mama-jama expression:

Code: [Select]
Regex([Artist], /#^(?:(?:the|an|a) +)?(.)#/,-1)if(Compare(1[R1], >=, 10), 0 - 9, [R1])
Just put that in the calculated data box when you create your new [Artist Letters] field.  Then [Artist Letters] will be available for use anywhere in MC that uses expressions... including the handheld sync tool!  :)

If you need any help or more details, just ask and we'll try to get you fixed up.

Oh, and the posting from Glynor that I got the expression from:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=92425.msg636370#msg636370

Brian.

Yes!  Thanks for putting me onto this.  Expression wouldn't work but took suggestion of the custom library field and simplified the expression to

LEFT(IF(ISEQUAL(LEFT([Artist],4),The ,1), REMOVELEFT([Artist],4), [Artist]),1)

and it's working a treat. Thank-you so much.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 07:29:28 pm »

Glad to hear your adaptation is working for you!

If you end up wanting to make the other expression work, we can probably help you with that too.  I just verified that the code I pasted in is what I used in my library and what Glynor posted.

Excellent that you adapted something else based on the push in the right direction!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up