INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple DAC Setup  (Read 1624 times)

pamrpm

• Recent member
Multiple DAC Setup
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:15:15 am »

What is the optimal set up for 2 DACS? I love both DACs and will listen to one or the other depending on my mood. I'm trying to avoid having to change the sound output on my Mac & JRiver every time I switch DAC. Do I need two Mac minis with two licenses of JRiver? Many thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Multiple DAC Setup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 08:25:36 am »

You could use zones to switch.  The wiki has a topic on zones.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multiple DAC Setup
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 09:30:24 am »

You *could* run two computers if you wanted to.  I think that would be inconvenient.  You would only need one JRiver license though; MC lets you install on several of your own computers as part of it's normal licensing.  Which is really nice!   :)

You can definitely set up two or more DACs on one computer and have MC use them independently.  As Jim said, you can set up a Zone for each DAC.  Zones are playback targets.  You have a separate playing now area for each zone.  So you could run them at the same time if you wanted to.  Or just stop and start playback in each zone as you like.

I do this with a speaker system and headphones.  Each have their own DAC.  When I want to hear speakers, I put songs in the speaker zone.  When I want to listen to headphones, I play songs in the headphone zone.  I even copy playing now from one to the other when I want to switch.

Zones are pretty easy to set up and use.  There are a few details here:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Zones

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up