INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lattepanda as DLNA Renderer  (Read 3225 times)

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
Lattepanda as DLNA Renderer
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »

Currently I run JRiver MC on a Windows NAS and stream per DLNA to my TV. Unfortunately the whole thing is quite unstable. Sometimes everything works fine, sometimes changing audio tracks or subtitle tracks does not work and sometimes even jumping and pausing does not work. The problem seems to be the DLNA standard. I think with a small HTPC running a JRiver MC connected to the TV per HDMI or Displayport, all this problems could be solved.
Until recently I didn't find a hardware solution that fullfills my requirements which are: HEVC hardware decoding, 4K support, Ethernet, Windows and of course it should be as cheap as possible.
Now I've found the LattePanda Kickstarter project. It's almost fully funded. From what I've seen it does fullfill my requirements. Although the HEVC hardware decoder only works with 30Hz at 4K and the Ethernet connector only supports 100 Mbit/s, I think I could live with this drawbacks.

So do you think that board can do what I want it to do? If yes, will the 2GB version sufficient or should I aim for the 4GB version? Are there other better solutions I haven't found?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lattepanda as DLNA Renderer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 12:37:12 pm »

A few things..

Currently I run JRiver MC on a Windows NAS and stream per DLNA to my TV. Unfortunately the whole thing is quite unstable. Sometimes everything works fine, sometimes changing audio tracks or subtitle tracks does not work and sometimes even jumping and pausing does not work. The problem seems to be the DLNA standard. I think with a small HTPC running a JRiver MC connected to the TV per HDMI or Displayport, all this problems could be solved.

The problem is not the DLNA standard. The problem is the various manufacturers bad implementation of that standard.

But you are right to say that having MC acting as both the DMS (server), the DMR (renderer), and the Control Point is indeed a good solution. Firstly because MC's implementation is quite good (certainly not perfect but indeed quite good). And secondly because doing everything within the MC ecosystem means that everything will have been tested. And thirdly if it does not work, you know who to call.

So yes you are right to propose a small HTPC as a good solution.

Now I've found the LattePanda Kickstarter project. It's almost fully funded. From what I've seen it does fullfill my requirements. Although the HEVC hardware decoder only works with 30Hz at 4K and the Ethernet connector only supports 100 Mbit/s, I think I could live with this drawbacks.
So do you think that board can do what I want it to do? If yes, will the 2GB version sufficient or should I aim for the 4GB version? Are there other better solutions I haven't found?

You say "from what I've seen it does fullfill my requirements" - but really I think you mean "from what I've seen it has a good chance of fullfilling my requirements". Personally I don't feel comfortable recommending a product (or buying one) until it actually exists...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

Headcool

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »

You say "from what I've seen it does fullfill my requirements" - but really I think you mean "from what I've seen it has a good chance of fullfilling my requirements". Personally I don't feel comfortable recommending a product (or buying one) until it actually exists...

Sure, you are right. But I don't want a recommendation. I want to know if it is doable from a theoretical point of view. Maybe some user already tried MC on an Atom device and it runs very slow. Or it runs perfectly fine. Maybe 2GB ram or too low. Maybe not. These are things I would like to know.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 03:40:57 pm »

I use an Atom HTPC with 2GB for audio output over HDMI and it works fine. I don't know about video because I never tried that.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up