INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request - Progress Indicator (Does it exist already?)  (Read 3071 times)

jctcom

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
Feature request - Progress Indicator (Does it exist already?)
« on: December 11, 2015, 02:30:57 am »

I quite often use the "Rename / Move" function to move / Archive some pretty large files such as Blu-ray movies etc... onto external USB drives.

When doing this the only indication I can see that it is working on it is the "Saving tag changes" in the lower right.

It would be nice to have some sort of progress indicator so I know how far along the process is and can gauge if I have enough time to do something (Get a drink, Make a meal etc...) else while I am waiting.

If this already exists somewhere I would appreciate a heads up on how to activate it so it is visible.

Thanks.

Carl

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Feature request - Progress Indicator (Does it exist already?)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 02:57:58 am »

Next to the saving tags it also gives you a count down 'n remaining'...? 

Are you asking for an ETA to be displayed?

jctcom

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:10:38 am »

A countdown remaining does not help much when it is a single 40GB file (Which it very often is).  So yes I guess I am looking for a time remaining or progress bar or % complete or something like that.

Anything that will give me some sort of idea of how much longer it's going to take (And also let's me know that MC21 isn't just hung).

Carl

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 08:04:24 am »

You used the word "archive".  Does this mean you are keeping these files in MC, but just moving them to a less important/slower/cheaper drive?

I know exactly what you mean. RM&C is an amazing tool.  But it kind of makes me nervous when moving big files or lots of medium sized files because of the lack of status.  Because of this, when I do operations like this, I do the actual file moves externally from MC.  Roughly, something like this:

1.  Turn off auto import if it was on.
2.  Use rsync or a similar utility to COPY the files in question to a different disk.
3.  Bring up RM&C in UPDATE ONLY mode and change the drive and/or path to point to the new location for these files.  I do one first to make sure I have it right.  Then test.  Then if it works, I update the rest of the files I have moved.
4.  Externally remove the original files from the original drive.  Again, I test with one file, verify that MC doesn't "need" that file (because it's been copied to a new location), and then do the rest.

It's kind of clumsy, especially if you have a big list of files.  The Handheld Sync tool can be used too, and it has per file status indicators.  This adds more complexity due to how Handheld Sync works and may not be worth it.

I would very much enjoy it if the JRiver team added a status bar, per file, to the RM&C tool.  It's already a great tool.  This would just make it that much closer to perfection.

Brian.

jctcom

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 12:06:12 pm »

Yes I am archiving via USB 3.0 to drive(s) attached to my Synology NAS box.

I really like the Rename and Move to do this because then I know that my naming conventions are consistent.   I have different presets for different drives and depending on if it is TV shows, Movies or Music.

Your way is probably more reliable but kind of defeats the purpose (At least one of the many) of purchasing MC.  The Rename and move function was pretty high up on the list as one of the reason's I bought in.  Don't get me wrong.  There are many many  other great reasons for keeping it and using it.  Just would be nice if this feature had that extra functionality.

For now I have learned to be patient and give it enough time to finish moving stuff since I am getting more used to how long it takes to move the bigger file(s).

This has become more of a concern since I have started using it more for movies and music concert videos.  Up until recently I have really only been using it for music.  With the music it is fast enough that the file countdown function is good enough.

But with Movies and Blu-ray concerts it has taken me awhile to judge just how long it takes to move a huge 35 - 45 GB file or set of files over.

I have about 13.5 TB on my NAS and am always struggling to get the free space above 1TB  lol

Carl.

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:29:01 pm »

I would very much enjoy it if the JRiver team added a status bar, per file, to the RM&C tool.  It's already a great tool.  This would just make it that much closer to perfection.

+100
I use RM&C a lot on blu-ray rips and OTA recordings.  A per file progress bar would certainly improve the user experience.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:38:18 pm »

Services and Plugins > Reporter will show Background Tools Running, but I'm not sure if it shows the  progress. You could test the next time you use RM&C.

jctcom

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:56:57 am »

Services and Plugins > Reporter will show Background Tools Running, but I'm not sure if it shows the  progress. You could test the next time you use RM&C.

This does not seem to give any info about current ongoing Rename / Move processes.

Carl
Pages: [1]   Go Up