INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request/Modification - Longer Wait Time After Changing Display Mode  (Read 3804 times)

jstach500

Hello, I use the Options >> Video >> Display Settings >> Wait after change (use if display changes slowly) feature of MC.  Could you please add more options to the dropdown, such as 15 seconds and 20 seconds?  The new JVC projectors are excellent but they take a long time to lock onto an HDMI signal.  With the prior generation, 10 seconds (the current max in MC) was enough.  With the latest generation, it can take 15 or 20 seconds when the video mode changes.

Thank you for considering this request.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

I used "Wait after change" this weekend with a new JVC DLS-RS500 projector. There are two issues:

1.  If you set Display Settings to On, the option is grayed out even though you need to change the setting. It should be available to adjust for both On and Custom.

2.  The maximum is 10 seconds. It needs to be increased. The new JVC projectors took from 13 to 18 seconds to switch inputs depending on frame rate. The average in my testing was over 16 seconds. From 1080p23 to 1080p60 was slightly over 17 seconds. Allowing one to enter the number in seconds would be easier than picking from a drop down list.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

This sounds pretty simple, so I'll sure try.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Hendrik

• Administrator

The new JVC projectors are excellent but they take a long time to lock onto an HDMI signal.  With the prior generation, 10 seconds (the current max in MC) was enough.  With the latest generation, it can take 15 or 20 seconds when the video mode changes.

Certainly would diminish the value of "excellent" for me having to wait 20s to get a movie going, user experience is a large part of it. But maybe that's just me :D
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Next build:
Changed: Increased the number of "Wait after change" values in Options > Video.

mojave

• MC Beta Team

Thanks, Matt. I suggest instead of adding 30 & 60 seconds, that there be more granularity up to 20 seconds. I can't imagine anyone ever needing 30 or 60 seconds unless they want a built-in bathroom/snack break.

I received my new JVC RS-500 yesterday and stayed up until 12:30 am playing with it. Incredible image that is better than anything I've seen on any display of any type.

I recommend with the new JVC that one use 1080p60 12-bit as their desktop resolution and set Display Settings Automatic Change Mode to Off. Use Red October HQ as the video mode in full screen exclusive and enable Smooth Motion in the Rendering section. This way there is never any delay for sync because no refresh rate switching takes place. You also need to go in madVR to devices > [display] > properties and set the native bitdepth to "10 bit (or higher)". The top two JVC projector models have a complete 12-bit signal chain from input to output.

Here is a quote from Madshi regarding what Smooth Motion does (I changed Reclock to VideoClock):

Introducing the new Smooth Motion frame rate changer (FRC) with the following main features / benefits:

(1) Can convert any source frame rate to any display refresh rate, while maintaining smooth motion.
(2) Endless playback without frame drops/repeats (if your PC is fast enough) without needing VideoClock.

There are disadvantages, too, of course:

(1) Slightly higher GPU usage (not too much) with default settings.
(2) Some sharpness loss (almost invisible with 23-25fps -> 60Hz conversion).

23-25fps -> 60Hz: minimal sharpness loss, nearly invisible
24fps -> 24Hz: visible sharpness loss
(check "enable motion frame rate conversion only if there would be motion judder without it" so it isn't used all the time)
60fps -> 24Hz: very noticeable sharpness loss

Basically the higher the refresh rate, the better. And the lower the source framerate, the better.

Technically the FRC algorithm simulates a display with infinite refresh rate. Which means that every video frame is displayed exactly when the timestamps ask for it. Consequently the motion smoothness depends on proper timestamps. If the timestamps (or audio clock) contain jitter, the playback will contain jitter, too. So even if VideoClock might not be needed to avoid frame drops/repeats, anymore, when using madVR's new FRC algorithm, you might still want to use VideoClock
because it provides a stable and reliable audio clock with very low jitter, and it supports WSAPI exclusive mode, too.

To my best knowledge madVR is now the only way to playback Blu-Ray/DVD movies without 3:2 pulldown judder on displays which don't support 23.976Hz playback properly. I don't think any hardware Blu-Ray player can do that, or even any of the expensive video processors. (Correct me if I'm wrong).

One last hint: There's a new "trade quality for performance" option in the madVR settings which affects the quality of the FRC frame blending. By default frame blending is done in gamma corrected light, which is fast, but not mathematically correct. If your GPU is fast enough, it's highly recommended that you disable the "trade quality" option for highest image quality. There are no negative side effects to blending frames in linear light - except for higher GPU usage, of course.

P.S: Just to avoid confusion: madVR's smooth motion FRC does *NOT* modify audio in any way. Playback speed is not affected at all. The only thing that changes is that motion looks much smoother, if the display refresh rate isn't an even multiple of the source framerate.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Thanks, Matt. I suggest instead of adding 30 & 60 seconds, that there be more granularity up to 20 seconds. I can't imagine anyone ever needing 30 or 60 seconds unless they want a built-in bathroom/snack break.

The change was to add 20, 30, and 60 seconds.

So the full ladder is:
None

jstach500

Next build:
Changed: Increased the number of "Wait after change" values in Options > Video.
Thanks Matt!  And I agree with the earlier poster that the long wait time can diminish the user experience.  However, that delay is only once per movie and the image it throws throughout the movie is exceptional.  I'll take that trade-off any day.

mojave

• MC Beta Team

The change was to add 20, 30, and 60 seconds.
I know, I had already tried it out.  ;)

I was suggesting that you really didn't need to add the 30 and 60 seconds and could have added two values between 10 and 20 such as 14 and 17. Going from 10 seconds to 20 seconds is a big jump.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

I know, I had already tried it out.  ;)

I was suggesting that you really didn't need to add the 30 and 60 seconds and could have added two values between 10 and 20 such as 14 and 17. Going from 10 seconds to 20 seconds is a big jump.

I'm happy to sneak a 15 second value in there.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Feature Request/Modification - Longer Wait Time After Changing Display Mode
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2015, 08:18:58 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: Snuck a value of 15 seconds into the ladder of times to wait when switching the display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up