INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: musicians ... as part of auto tag..  (Read 2268 times)

yoyoc

• World Citizen
musicians ... as part of auto tag..
« on: November 27, 2015, 05:04:29 am »

I know one can manually add a tag field for musicians on each song for an album.

but  if I have audio analyze when a cd is imported on files downloaded... why is this data not included automatically by J River......

Sorry to compare, I dont want to be rude.  I also have Roon, and among the nice features it includes in auto tagging is such information ....

Another feature that I believe should be considered ( if JRiver has such I dnt know of it and I have been a user for years now)  is a search with field delimiters similar to what SWIM is in Sooloos and Radio is in Roon ( whch are the same basically).

A third feature missing which would be marvelous is auto tag and auto organize classical music by movements and sections as organized by the composers, like in symphonies, movements, etc....  instead of track 1, 2, 3, etc.....

Sooloos has had that forever ... since the beggining of that... J River has been in existence before sooloos I believe .....  so why are these not included or cant?

I know J River Just started a kickstarter for the  Play once thing for cable card recording feature ... which is a US limited usable.  If having the describe 3 features in J River is a matter of costs for a third party service inclussion in future builds, I believe it would be much more appealing for kickstarter, if such were the case thank the cable recording feature .... well both are, but .....   you know what I mean...

I gather JRiver to be a better software in general, much more complete, much more advanced in terms of options, but said 3 missed features, should in my opinion be present to get J River to the next level.  

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: musicians ... as part of auto tag..
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:29:57 am »

Interesting. What you are saying would indeed be nice but in thinking about this globally ...

I agree, although I represent probably .00001% of users of digital audio, that meta-data is tremendously important, and will become more and more so. I have a medium to large collection of about 7500 albums. I'm OCD about tags,otherwise I even get lost in my own collection. I  believe that after the dust settles and the streaming companies that survive and do not go bust, will offer large lossless catalogs depending on very good meta-data that "good" players will be able to retrieve, making (eventually) local content passé. (eg. use JRiver to link direct with Tidal or Qobuz and be able to catalog/tag my own library, using their "leased", cloud-based inventory)

One of the problems is that there are no standards for meta-data - especially for classical music. For popular music, using auto-loaded genres are unusable for me (I either don't agree with them or they are auto-populated by users that don't follow standard values. actually can't follow them even if they wanted to as they don't really exist -- compare discogs to Allmusic) So although Roon may be very good, there are a lot of limitations using it on a daily basis. Auto-tagging is only as good as the data you retrieve; if there is no standard, one ends up re-tagging anyway, unless you only use one source/one application for all your playback and control needs. It seems that some fields have become de facto standards because of iTunes' initial penetration of the market for Pete’s sake

I was disappointed when Tidal refused JRiver's collaboration (or perhaps their terms of their collaboration were too onerous , read $$$??). It would have been “relatively” simple to populate a JRiver library with direct links to albums/tracks/performers .. using JRiver as the control point/renderer and not Tidals interface. But that's the way it goes.  :'(

Other than no real standards for genres, sub-genres, and styles - there is not even a standard for album artist, artist, soloists (performers), band members? And the "musicians" as you call them …  sometimes you see feat. in the name.  does that make it a multiple artist album? It depends .... so doing anything automatically is going to be tricky even with the most basic fields. What constitues a musician for you maybe a soloist for others, an artist for someone else.

But you can compare all you want, just compare apples with oranges. Its also, really about MONEY. I use dbpoweramp, rather than rip from JRIver. Although I like some of the features that it has that JRiver doesn't ... JR rips fine, its included, nothing wrong with it. I bought and keep using dbpoweramp because of their meta-data from Allmusic, Sonata, and GD3. It a once off payment

Roon has access to, it appears to me, much more extensive meta-data ... and you PAY for it. JRiver you pay what ...  50 bucks or less? Add 20 for an upgrade every so often and you get a LOT. Go to Roon and you pay 119 per YEAR (or 500$ for a lifetime). BUT only on 1 machine! You are stuck with their UI etc. That meta-data is going to cost, big time, and I sort of doubt that a kickstarter would garner enough support, it would have to be huge and the fee structure could change over time. Paying extra to subscribe individually to Rovi or whomever controls the meta-data after an agreement with JRiver might be interesting though. (more than interesting ;) )

Your 3rd suggestion exists in JRiver, but it is not automatic. All you do is create a field like Work, transfer using =[Name] in the field, and clean up the two fields using the replace command. This is a real drag doing 2000 cds, but not for the 10 or so cds most would be adding per month. Again no standards though. Some call a classical work by name including the Opus number; some subdivide the opus number into a distinct field; some use BV others BMV for Bach works – I don't think purely automatic is easy to achieve without getting a bunch of duplicates (not to mention language differences .. should it be the Magic Flute, La Flute Enchanté ou Die Zauberflöte? – probably it should be the latter, but I doubt there would be a consensus for this)

As for delimiters, I agree I'm not a big fan of how JR handles multiple entries and would prefer more of a relational set-up, but not sure this is what you are referring to. Paying a percentage based on hard-ware sales (like per "box") I'd think easier to negotiate than open ended software licensing, and who wants more boxes. And then you are tied to particular meta-data suppliers, who use field names, separators the way they see fit. Again no universal standards.

I would be very interested though in paying for better meta-data  -- maybe as a Service plug-in where tags could be accessed form lets say AMG without using Mr. C's Perl scripts, which in practice were just to unwieldy for me. That way it would not be a burden on JRiver financing, the meta-data provider would benefit, the subscription cost could be kept very low. Then this could then be automated and even if the user is OCD like me, JRiver can easily reformat or display this information like you want. I think though this should be after ripping, not while ripping, but there are a lot of couch-potatoes out there :) Its really all about consistency

PS - to the OP, if Roon allows you to "auto tag" musicians for example ... what's to prevent you in the meantime to map a custom field in JRiver? Once set-up, after import this would be automatic wouldn't it?

kuando

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 08:19:43 am »

Just composer first would be great.  Credit where credit is due.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:37:54 am »

Just composer first would be great.  Credit where credit is due.
well at least someone read my lengthy editorial  ;D

Sure ... I agree of course. But as I said if the composer (a universal field) is not populated its not going to show up .. and even very good databases don't always populate composers and sometimes even the metadata in the cd itself this field is not filled in. Using open source databases this might be worse than paid for metadata, but not always ... especially for popular music and to a certain extent even Jazz.

The JRiver people are not filling out the composer fields, its in the databases or its not. So how can they add that as a feature unless they buy better metadata?

.. and if you compare multiple data bases they are not always the same (eg Lennon & McCartney rather than John Lennon; Paul McCartney). Classical should not be as much of issue, IF filled out correctly (but its also pretty easy to manually fix). But I often get Mozart as an Artist or Album artist with the composer left blank. So you can't just expect tojust get the composer field right if you follow me. I bet, not sure,  Roon is pulling info off of multiple metadata providers --- they are charging you 120$ per year and you can't even keep the metadata as it only "shows up" using their software -- I doubt you can pay just for the composer data .. but who knows ... someone would have to pay for it though
Pages: [1]   Go Up