INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Command Line Library Sync?  (Read 4889 times)

altsouza

• World Citizen
Command Line Library Sync?
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:21:28 am »

Hi,

I newbie to command line and want  to Start Library Sync from it.
I am using 20026 command, and it trigers the Lib Sync window, but I need to press the "Ok" to go ahead.
How to do it??

Thanks

Antonio
Nuc > Cambridge Audio Cxn Streamer > Cambridge 851e Pré
Parasound A21 Amp > Nordost Cable > Kef R300 Speaker
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

altsouza

• World Citizen
Re: Command Line Library Sync????
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 01:35:01 pm »

I tried the "Enter Ketsroke" command (/mcc 27000,13) but nothing occurs.
Antonio
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 01:57:58 pm »

Details would help...for instance, why can't you just use a mouse?  Are you using a remote?  Theater view?  Etc. 

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 02:21:57 pm »

Of course I can Start Lib Sync manually.
But my Win PC is located in Stereo rack, without monitor, and I want to automaticly start Lib Sync everyday.
I use j Remote.
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »

I fairly certain Library sync occurs automatically every few minutes.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 03:46:45 pm »

Sorry, I did not explain correctly!

I do not have a client/server setup. I have 2 Pc's (the second one I use as a backup system (if 1st Pc fails)).
Both use files located in my NAS. Both have it's own library.
I use the manualy option Sync (one that shows up a screen with options) to sync playlists only.
So every week I sync playlists, to update the playlists in the second Pc. (I start the sync in the second Pc)
As both Pc's does not have a Monitor, and are located in my Stereo Rack, it is easier to Auto Start the "Manualy" Sync Option.
So I am trying to config to Windows Scheduler to start it every day.
But there is the problem that the options windows pop up, requiring the enter (or mouse) to be pressed.

Thanks

Antonio
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 07:00:43 pm »

Oh wow, that's an elaborate setup. You'll probably need to request a 'silent' option to be added to that core command.

May I ask why this approach is being used? At first glance it would appear better to use the Library Server and simply sync library (and other system) backups between the computers and/or store them on your NAS.

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:45:07 pm »

Hi,
Can you explain the "silent" and also sync lib backup better?
Can i store the libary file in the Nas and share it beetween two Ps's?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 08:39:30 pm »

Hi,
Can you explain the "silent" and also sync lib backup better?
Can i store the libary file in the Nas and share it beetween two Ps's?

Yes you can, in fact there are two ways to do it:

1. Store a single library on the NAS and point each MC installation at it. The only caveat here is that only the first computer that accesses the library will have read and write access. The second computer that connects will open the library in Read Only.

2. Use Library Server sync. In this case you use the built-in functionality of MC to set one of your computers as the server and the other as the client. Despite this terminology both computers will have read/write access. The syncing between the two libraries occurs silently every few minutes and can be triggered manually if you are making a lot of changes at once and want to immediately propagate it to the other computer. This is the recommended way.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

altsouza

• World Citizen
Re: Command Line Library Sync?
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 07:22:55 pm »

Hi Bryan, a few comments below:
1. I will try the first option, as I seem it is simpler.
2. I am afraid to use the server sync option, as I have +100k tracks, and I feel will be problems to sync it for the first time (i supose the program analizes it in the first sync). Let me know if I wiil have this problem!

3. As a have a third and a fourth servers (the third one has it's own's files in a internal Hd (this one I take to my beach house in the summer), and the fourth one is a portable one I take to parties, also with files in the inside Hd. Those servers will have the same "analizes it in the first sync" problem! So I am left with the   Manualy Sync Option I asked it the first time (the one I need to automate the sync start).

Thanks

Antonio
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 08:35:32 pm »

The program will not need to analyze the tracks again. All of that info is stored in the library database, which is shared between the two computers.

For your third and fourth machines there are a number of ways to handle them. You can simply transfer the files from your NAS and use a library backup (in conjunction with the Rename, Move, and Copy tool) to transfer the MC library. You can also use the handheld sync tool within MC to transfer any new tracks to the computers, and although this is a bit more elaborate initially it is less time consuming once set up.

If you truly want to go with option 1 (option 2 is recommended), then:

1. Create a backup of the MC library (File>Library>Back Up Library)
2. Create a new library (File>Library>library Manager>Add Library)
3. Choose local library and select a path that resides on the NAS where you want to keep the database
4. Once the new library is loaded, restore the backup (File>Library>Restore Library)--this will recreate your old library on the NAS
5. On computer 2, create a new library and browse to the same directory you chose to store the new library in step 3.
6. Computer 2 will now have read-only access to the library and computer 1 will have read/write access

If you ever want to set it up so that both computers can edit the library then use Library Server.

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 08:54:46 am »

Hi Bryan,

I will try the recomended Lib Server option (for the Machine 1 & 2 setup)

For machines 3 & 4:
- I sync the files using Allway Sync program (from Nas to the machines)
- Import files
- Manually start the Lib Sync (playlist option only)

Thanks

Antonio
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:01 am »

Hi Bryan,

I am sucessfuly using Library Server Sync for my two mains Server 1 and 2. Thank you for your advice.
I have few questions:

1) Server 1 is the one that I make modifications, add playlists etc... so it propagates to server 2.  To config server sync, I added a Library Sync in the Server2 (authenticate it etc...). Is this correct???

2) In server 1 I use "Synology Library" that is my main Library. But sometimes I change Library to other one I use with a portable Hdd. Question: When I change librarys do they still sync?? I supouse not!

3) For machines 3 & 4 (the ones with their own files in internal Hdd) you gave me two methods (library backup or handheld sync) but what I do is below. Give me opinion!!
- I sync the files using external Allway Sync program (from Nas to the machines)
- Import files in the machines

4) I have a fifth server (raspberry) I use at my Bedroom. I am also use the "Lib Sync server" method, but the Lib Sync name in the Lib list vanishes when I reboot the machine. It stills keep working, but no name in the list. My all onther machines is windows based.

Thanks again

Antonio
Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:39 pm »

1) Server 1 is the one that I make modifications, add playlists etc... so it propagates to server 2.  To config server sync, I added a Library Sync in the Server2 (authenticate it etc...). Is this correct???

Yes, that sounds right.

2) In server 1 I use "Synology Library" that is my main Library. But sometimes I change Library to other one I use with a portable Hdd. Question: When I change librarys do they still sync?? I supouse not!

Yes, you can only serve the loaded library. In general it's recommended to only have a single library. You can break up the library into separate views or by using the Users Account functionality to only show tracks on the portable drive. So instead of switching libraries, you will just switch to a different view or to a different viewer depending on your preference. This is easy to accomplish by creating a new view in the tree and including/excluding files by the external drive file path.

3) For machines 3 & 4 (the ones with their own files in internal Hdd) you gave me two methods (library backup or handheld sync) but what I do is below. Give me opinion!!
- I sync the files using external Allway Sync program (from Nas to the machines)
- Import files in the machines

I would probably use the handheld sync and library backup method since this way all of your metadata is synced (playcounts, playlists, ratings, etc) and you won't need to reanalyze the imported tracks. But do what works for you.

4) I have a fifth server (raspberry) I use at my Bedroom. I am also use the "Lib Sync server" method, but the Lib Sync name in the Lib list vanishes when I reboot the machine. It stills keep working, but no name in the list. My all onther machines is windows based.

Hmm, that is strange, you might try asking the RPi guys on the Linux board. It sounds to me like there may be a file permissions problem.

altsouza

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 08:33:57 am »

Thank you Bryan,

Regarding lib server sync, I will try "two views option" you advice, but I am afraid to mess the lib as I have 100k songs libs. That would going to be a 200k lib!!!
The other lib I use with the portable hdd , the machine will be in another network, so I think would not be sync problems.
Thanks
Antonio

Prog Rock Fan (Yes.....)
Pages: [1]   Go Up