INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Latest Mac mini - is it good enough to run j river?  (Read 4490 times)

zenpmd

• World Citizen
Latest Mac mini - is it good enough to run j river?
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:46:02 pm »

1.4GHz Processor
500 GB Storage
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 5000
OS X El Capitan

I have 100,000 tracks which will be fed from a free nas server via ethernet

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Latest Mac mini - is it good enough to run j river?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:24:04 pm »

I personally wouldn't buy any machine with less than 8 GB RAM these days.  Also, with a Mac running 10.10 or 10.11 I would ONLY use an SSD as the main drive.  It seems like there's just so much going on with the new OSX variants that SSD is *almost* required.

So I would probably choose the middle Mac Mini (the one that has a base price of $699) and upgrade the drive to an SSD drive.

The JRmark score would tell you a lot.  You probably don't even need to install MC to run it on a test machine.  Probably just put it on a thumb drive and open the DMG, then run it straight from the DMG.  Then run the benchmark:  Help > Benchmark > Run benchmark.

Anything above 2000 to 2500 should be totally fine.

This is all just my opinion.  I have no actual hands on experience with a modern Mac Mini.

Brian.

zenpmd

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:42:38 pm »

Thanks. I have to admit the SSD (and to a lesser degree the RAM) were my only concerns.

It is incredibly annoying that Apple force me to pay for processing power I dont need before I am allowed to upgrade to SSD. You cannot put an SSD into the cheapest unit

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »

If you're willing to do the work yourself, you can replace the drive.  But it's not a simple process.  There are videos on how to do it if you're interested.

Brian.

DocPMD

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:49:21 pm »

1.4GHz Processor
500 GB Storage
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
4GB memory
500GB hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 5000
OS X El Capitan

I have 100,000 tracks which will be fed from a free nas server via ethernet

Thanks

I have essentially the same Mac Mini and it definitely worked with basic operation of MC21 for both music and video playback, but I admit I haven't tried it with some of the advanced functions that would require more CPU power.

And for another point of reference, I have also run a different software product that requires transcoding video, and although the CPU runs near max, it runs smoothly.

I also have all of my media files on a NAS connected through ethernet to the computer.

Hope this helps.

GeorgeBoles

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »

I too am running the basic Mac mini from about two years ago with an external DAC. But no transcoding or signal processing on the fly. Music files are on my home network on another computer. Works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up