INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Particles for Ad-Skipping: Where Are We?  (Read 3917 times)

jgreen

• Citizen of the Universe
Particles for Ad-Skipping: Where Are We?
« on: January 29, 2016, 06:15:20 pm »

I have a huge collection of sports events recorded from Sat TV.  Mostly bicycle racing and ski racing, anywhere from 90 mins to 6 hours in length, SD, in TS or MPG format.  I have delayed for years the onerous task of cutting out the commercials, because even on a 90 min video there is no easy method to hunt down the commercials other than watch the thing, which is an ugly task in any editing package.  Moreover it can take a LONG time to import the footage, and while beer can help you pass the time, it can never give you back time spent.

Can/will MC help me, now or sometime soon?  I'd love to be able to mark-in and mark-out cut points while I'm playing and watching the video in MC.  Then later, commit the edit points to a new multi-cut particle, a single file.

Yes, beer will still play an important role in the process.   

jgreen

Re: Particles for Ad-Skipping: Where Are We?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20:19 pm »

Beuller!

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:46 pm »

I'm not sure it's too high on the priority list.

However, videoredo is highly regarded to automate most of the task of removing ads.

http://www.videoredo.com/en/index.htm

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:06 pm »

EDL sidecar files have been supported since v17.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66954.0

You can use a program like comskip to generate the edl sidecar file and MC will recognise it.

Apparently the default config is pretty good, but you can tune it yourself if necessary.

One thing missing is the commercials being marked on the playback timeline, but I think JR are coming around to the idea. I also think there are higher priorities for them.

There's a bit on this in the Television section.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:00:50 pm »

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 08:38:19 pm »

One thing missing is the commercials being marked on the playback timeline, but I think JR are coming around to the idea. I also think there are higher priorities for them.

How long do we have to wait? People been asking for this for a year...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96783.msg708490#msg708490
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 03:29:54 am »

How long do we have to wait? People been asking for this for a year...

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96783.msg708490#msg708490

I don't even pretend to know. I just know they do great work with the resources they have, and as far as I know it's somewhere in the list of things to do.

jgreen

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:44 pm »

Thanks for all the info!

I say "particles" because I think there's a built-in capability there, and I'm surprised that cutting out commercials isn't a commonly-requested feature. 

I see two potential uses here:  Bring in a video file and play it, and while watching it mark in and out at the commercials (or anywhere), then later press "go" and end up with a file that could be viewed with the created EDL.

Secondly, there might be some real potential with JTV stuff, as gets recorded.  After all, many comercial breaks present an aspect ratio change.  What say the propeller heads?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 06:37:42 pm »

After all, many comercial breaks present an aspect ratio change.  What say the propeller heads?

I don't think there is an aspect ratio change on Australian commercial TV. Just a few, a very few, black frames at the transition, and that same situation is sometimes repeated within a program body.

I know the VideoReDo can have quite a bit of trouble finding the correct in and out points for Australian commercials, sometimes completely getting it wrong.

So I guess the situation is different in different parts of the world, which is what makes delivering a single solution in software difficult.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

imeric

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 07:53:15 pm »

A lot of us are really anxious to get these commercials being marked on the playback timeline aren't we??  ;)

jgreen

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:07:11 pm »

I think that if particles were to allow a semicolon-delimited list of mark points (1:00-2:00;4:00-5:00;7:30-8:00), that would go a long way towards simplifying post-capture ad removal.

Remember, I've got this giant stack of videos with ads in them, many of them several years old.  Some of the commercials are for things I can't buy anymore!  And what am I supposed to do if they say 'call in the next 5 minutes'?  How do I explain this to them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up